Home

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: One Man's Opinion

This is a discussion on WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: One Man's Opinion within the Wrestling forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-05-2008, 04:17 PM   #1
Executive Editor

RaychelSnr's Arena

OVR: 57
WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: One Man's Opinion

Are you on the fence about THQ's upcoming WWE Video Game, Smackdown vs. Raw 2009? Our very own Wil McCombs is checking in today to try to clear the air a bit and give his opinion on if the game will be worth checking out or not. Be sure to take a look at his opinion in his article, WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: One Man's Opinion.

Quote:
"I’m a unique breed of wrestling fan.

Let me elaborate. I am not a hardcore fan. I occasionally watch WWE and TNA programming, but usually only small cross-sections of each show. In fact, I could not readily identify all of the WWE and TNA champions without first stopping at Google.com. Shame on me."
Platform: Xbox 360 / PS2 / PS3 / Wii / NDS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
TCF
Rookie

OVR: 7
i really don't know. TNA was already talking about how they will do tag teams this year when the game is released next week and now all of a sudden SvR is doing the same thing. SvR08 sucked it felt like i was playing SvR07 which was ok but still nothing impressive. now that the competition has a game out they are trying to make better improvements?

will have to wait and see i do know i am getting TNA next week.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Black Mamba

Shadymamba's Arena

OVR: 26
i dont know if svr has the wwe wrestlers taking part in customizing the game, but when i seen that some of the TNA wrestlers had on the black suits doing moves..I was like now thats a way to go..hey i wont say its great cuz it hasnt come out yet and i havent played it..but that kind of hands on can be something good...hopefully its a good game (TNA) ive played 3 RVS im done with this franchise
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 PM   #4
goh
Banned

OVR: 37
Re: WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2009: One Man's Opinion

I used to get really excited for these games but they've been going downhill since HCTP. I think they need to scrap the whole thing and start over.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #5
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
SvR08 was horrible. I enjoyed 07, but the game just got clunkier and harder to enjoy. I understand what you're saying regarding the storyline stuff being important enough to put up with average gameplay, but SvR does not have average gameplay, it has poor gameplay. It's not passable enough.

Unless there's a leap in gameplay, I wont be buying it again.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 10:58 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goh
I used to get really excited for these games but they've been going downhill since HCTP. I think they need to scrap the whole thing and start over.
I agree with goh. I used to love the smackdown games, i was excited all year long waiting to see the new moves or features that the next one was gonna bring. True it has never lived up to No Mercy which many, including myself, feel is the best wrestling game of all time, but I still loved the games. Then they slowly started removing what to me are key things to make room for new features which were lackluster at best. I totally disagree with Wil on what makes a wrestling game great and playable. All the features in the world mean nothing to me if the gameplay sucks. Sure u can have customer entrances with ur own music, a great story mode and matches, but if every match ur using the same few sucky moves, even combining a lot of moves over multiple characters the game will become boring fast. Since WWF Attitude I have based my wrestling game experiences around my CAWs. They are the characters I use and I make the same ones on each new game. I have storylines and backhistory for all of them and have added many over time. So im glad i can customize their looks a lot more now so they stand out from each other, but as the games allow me to do that better and better (except for hair, the hair to choose from is terrible), at the same time its limiting how my characters play. A lot of my characters have overlapping moves cuz they keep removing more and more each year and leaving all the crappy moves. I understand my characters can each have a few of the same moves but its becoming more and more, even when they can do less. I remember when in a smackdown game i had 8 back moves, now only 4, and when i had plenty of front moves and each year i get to pick less moves, making my matches repetitive and boring. Also limiting what moves I can choose for each character is bogus. I dont want a filter telling me what moves I can and cant have for a certain character or with what button configuration I can have them. Let me decide that. We used to get any four moves up down left and right now we have this total control which takes up some move spots, and submissions we have to have a place for and then two different "styles." It makes me have to pick and choose between moves I want even though I should have place for the ones I want but because Im limited I cant give my guys moves Ive had them have as recently as the year before's game! I used to play SD games all year long, now im lucky to wanna play them past the first month and that sucks cuz I really loved these games and looked forward to them. I know TNA isnt going to be all that good cuz being its first game its just getting the feel for things and where it wants to expand but SD is going to be in its what, 10th iteration? It should get the gameplay right. because honestly HCTP was the best, giving me a lot of freedom and choices for moves with plenty of places to put them and a nice story mode. PLEASE THQ focus on the gameplay and allowing plenty of moves without limiting who can use what and maybe I'll be into these again. I own them all and I'd hate to think of the day when I just give up on buying one, itll break my heart, like losing a friend who has gone astray and u feel u dont really even know them anymore.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:50 AM   #7
TCF
Rookie

the one thing about TNA is that Midway had access to all the roster members so that is a huge jump over the handful that THQ has for SvR
Old 09-06-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
Rookie

blinkfan77's Arena

I agree with a lot of whats been said. Especially in the article. This lame ticky-tacky stuff like the Inferno Match and the backstage brawl that has the same stupid canned, long, boring, repetitive animations that get old and stale after 1 match are getting seriously old and boring.

So what, flames rise up after a few minutes/strong moves. So what the loser rolls around with crappy looking flames on them. It's cool to watch once.

For me, fixing the gameplay mechanics and the weapon interactions is what they need to do. I'm so sick of weapons/tables etc.. and the "sliding" mechanic, where if you walk near something, it just simply slides, rather than being able to do a move ONTO it. Rather than some stupid animation that involves you throwing an opponent on a table first, then you do something. No thanks

Get rid of these lame, gimmicky moves and interactions with the crowd. I don't feel like I'm really involved in the matches when it takes a single button press that goes into some stupid animation with the crowd/barrier that included a new camera angle, further removing me from the experience of me actually performing the moves with the utmost video game gratification.

The developers and producers clearly don't have a genuine feel for what SHOULD be being fixed and what fans really want. A couple new modes and matches that are fun once or twice, isn't going to make me buy this game.

Improved controls, mechanics, graphics, loads of backstage areas, new situations to do moves in, new moves themselves, GETTING RID OF 8 YEARS OLD MOVES!!!! That's what I want to see.

And for gods sake, PLEASE REDO THE HELL IN THE CELL!!!!! I can't tell you how sick I am of the 8 year old animation of falling through the cell and HANGING ON! The old WM game for GameCube had THE BEST HIAC match in any WWE game. I loved playing it because every move you used to put someone through was new, exciting, different looking animation/reaction.

Not to mention Corey Ledesma is the most fake, disingenuous, see through, transparent developer/PR person I've ever seen in interviews. The guy thinks his audience is 10 year olds who just accept all the crap he says. I don't fall for all of his stupid hype tactics that he whips out every year.

This franchise needs a new direction, new staff, new outlook, better community relations, better PR, better goals, higher standards and a better feel for what their consumers really want.

Freshen this game up already!!!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Wrestling »