Old 05-05-2024, 09:12 PM   #1307
Hellisan
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
Hawk Blog

Week 1 Random Thoughts

Feeling Horrible for Harkless

Word is beginning to leak out that Antwione Harkless may be done for the season with his concussion. Or at least a big portion of it. I've seen enough of Harkless on the field to believe that he'll never be Iowa's starting QB, but let's just say I relate to people with limitations. He's got a laundry list of limitations but some real talent too, and he's just someone I've been rooting for. The people I sit near at the games root for him too. He's just likable. Big Hark went 2-2 for 22 yards, made a great read on an option pitch that gained 29 yards, and just got unlucky to hit the ground the way he did. Heal quickly and completely, good sir.

He may be a Dandy, Indeed

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Dylan Dandy had numerous "firsts" in the opening game, including a 27-yard touchdown reception. Watching at practice and in scrimmages previously, the team used him in the slot quite a bit. With the suspension of NeShawn Talley likely to last the entire season, that opens up more of a chance for Dandy to start out wide, where one would think his 6'4" frame would work best. But Dandy was in the slot when he scored his touchdown. Dandy isn't a burner, but he gets up to speed as fast or faster than anybody else on the team. This makes him very difficult to deal with in the slot, where if you're running a route, or just going over the middle, you can get separation more quickly than on the outside, where they can more easily guard you with a safety over the top. And in the case of his touchdown play, with the opposing team playing a cover 2 shell, he cleared the linebackers so quick it put a massive amount of pressure on the safety to pick between the two wide receivers heading his way. Dandy isn't known for having the greatest hands, but he caught everything thrown to him yesterday, catching three passes for 39 yards and the touch. A great first game.

Veney fit in just fine in his first game

True freshman cornerback Tyson Veney was selected between two options, the other being Bret Harris, to essentially start for the Hawkeyes as a freshman. The team chose Veney for one primary reason, that being that he was a lot more competitive in the running game. Not necessarily a better tackler, or a much bigger hitter than Harris, but more competitive. He's more difficult to block inside and reacts more quickly to plays. And the local boy is a little bit more aggressive, to my eye. He played just fine in his first game with 4 tackles and a pass deflection, and wasn't an obvious weakness in coverage despite being greener'n a Mexican tomata. Great job, kid.

Butler for Heisman

I know, I know, I know, I know. The Heisman trophy is only awarded to the outstanding OFFENSIVE "college football player in the United States whose performance epitomizes great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work." But it really should go to a defensive player again once in a while. Better yet, it should go to a defensive player that's not necessarily known for their stance in a low rider just as much as their defensive abilities. Brandon Butler was as good as I've ever seen him in week 1 against Texas. And although I know he'll never win the Heisman and truthfully, would probably not vote that way, I think we need to recognize in some way that the very best player in the nation may play defense this year. And I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon Butler is that player.

Last edited by Hellisan; 05-05-2024 at 09:31 PM.