View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 01:09 PM   #1
canes21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Gray Zone Warfare

Game just released in Early Access yesterday.

It's a PvEvP game that is essentially a Ghost Recon, ARMA, and Tarkov hybrid.

It's a persistent open world extraction-type shooter with a large 42 square kilometer map that can have up to 48 players on it at one time.

There are 3 player factions that you choose to join when creating your player. Players in your faction are friendly, though friendly fire does exist and will be punished over time. The other 2 factions are enemies and that is where the PvP comes from.

Across the map are also various AI enemies and that is where the PvE comes from. There are lightly geared guerilla fighters as well as fighters that have found military equipment and are not afraid to use it.

The gun customization is similar to Tarkov where you can change any part on any gun that you want allowing some creative builds and big amounts of player creativity. Unlike Tarkov, whenever you load into a server, you are in there for good. You do not extract and go back to a main menu. Instead, each faction has a Base Camp and this is where players are safe and are able to access their stashes as well as vendors to buy/sell good and accept quests.

Since the map is so large, not all travel is done by foot. Around the map are various LZ's that players can discover. Once discovered, players are able to call in a helicopter that will take them to the LZ of their choosing and then the players explore the map killing enemies and completing quests. Once you are ready to return to base because you've completed a quest, are out of ammo, are hurt and need to heal up, etc., the player calls in a helicopter to the nearest LZ and takes it back to the Base Camp where they can regroup before heading back out on their next adventure.

You never leave the server, so the player stays engaged at all times unlike in Tarkov where each raid is a separate instance and you're in loading screens and menus longer than you're actually in each map playing.

I've been having a blast with it so far. I didn't know if I'd like it when watching streamers play the game, but after playing it I can definitely see myself playing this along with Tarkov for a very long time. It is definitely a game I personally think is significantly more enjoyable to play than it is to watch.

Having a persistent world that I only have to load into once is very nice. Having 48 players on the map leads to some fun interactions from helping out players from your own faction that you are near to stumbling across an enemy faction squad and engaging in a long firefight with them. The game is a blast and I cannot wait to see how it progresses over time.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 05-01-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove