View Single Post
Old 07-29-2022, 10:14 AM   #1
MrNFL_FanIQ
MVP

OVR: 18
Baseball: The World's Game (OOTP 22 Fictional World)

Greetings all and welcome to “Baseball: The World’s Game.” I decided to share my fictional alternate earth where baseball rises throughout the 20th century to become the prominent sport worldwide much in the way soccer is in reality.

This sim eventually expands to 14 “Major Leagues” spanning all regions of the world along with an annual tournament of nations. I do not control any teams and rarely make adjustments beyond the original creation stage, allowing each league to grow and develop its own flavor and style.

OOTP forums shout out to Dogzilla’s World Names Database which I used for the most accurate world possible and to Cephasjames’s logo pack for use for these fictional teams. I am also posting these to the OOTP forums along with here on Operation Sports.

Instead of having 30 or so smaller leagues based in a similar nation, my leagues are larger and multi-national. In many cases, the subleagues are canonically their own separate league within the greater “association,” but I didn’t actually use the game’s association feature.

Apart from one North American AAA league and college feeder, there aren’t any minor leagues as well. This is mostly to save space and processing power since I don’t have the most advanced machine (nor the creativity to also make another couple hundred minor league teams.) Drafted players are set to be more-often college aged and developed with the international complex also serving as a sort of “minor league.” Development speed is 1.200 the normal game to help make up for lack of minors and aging is .800 because it’s more fun to see some guys make it into their late 30s/early 40s in my opinion.

The initial leagues I used base statistics in line with mid 1960s baseball and then I switched toward 1990s stats in some of the later leagues. Based on personal preference, there are more starting pitchers going deep into games, smaller bullpens, and more base stealing generally across all of the leagues.

Each league does have some different settings regarding things like finances, arbitration, free agency length, roster size etc. Dynamically evolving league is on with the exception of expansion/relocation so each league does take different paths from what I set as well. I’ll try to remember to point out some of these while writing these but feel free to ask any questions as I log this all. I’m already 100+ years into it so I’ll probably forget some stuff especially from the earlier years.

Real world history and geopolitics does factor in when I introduce some leagues/teams and who gets paired where, but there are creative liberties. For example, the game starts in 1901 with teams in many modern US/Canadian metros that barely existed back then. Plus we’ll also pretend that this fictional baseball world is generally nicer and less bigoted than real humanity in terms of leagues being diverse and player movement between regions.

Advertisements - Register to remove