View Single Post
Old 12-14-2021, 03:26 AM   #23
johnstone1987
MVP

johnstone1987's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: ~~Blood in the Water (Reboot)~~ The Story of the San Jose Sharks...

OILERS knock off SHARKS in Overtime 2-1 as McLellan gets best of former club.

RECAP

San Jose, CA- Edmonton's Head Coach Todd McLellan is no stranger to the San Jose Sharks.

The Oilers Head Coach spent 7 years behind the bench in San Jose before accepting the job for the Pacific Rivals, Edmonton.

Since leaving San Jose Todd McLellan appears to still own his former club. The Oilers knocked the Sharks out of the 2017 Stanley Cup Playoffs in six games in which McLellan was booed by the Sharks faithful.

Tonight was no different as the Sharks fans rained down boos at their former Coach.

"I understand the boos. I spent years there and I know how faithful the fans and the City are. We went in there and won a hockey game. Just how it goes." McLellan stated.

"We have some history with him especially since he's still in the Pacific Division. Always leaves a bad taste in our mouths everytime we lose to them." Sharks Head Coach Peter DeBoer stated.

The Oilers(9-9-3) got on the board in just 33 seconds with a rocket by Oilers Alternate Captain Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

The Sharks(13-6-3) tied it up as the second period came to a close with a Kevin LeBanc goal.

Then came overtime where Ryan Nugent-Hopkins shot the game winner to the dismay of the Shark Tank.

Sharks Goalie Martin Jones stopped 24 shots as the fast paced Oilers crashed the net as if was the Stanley Cup Playoffs back in 2017 all over again.

"It was one of those Playoff atmosphere games. Edmonton has some firepower for sure. They just got the best of me tonight." Sharks Goaltender Martin Jones stated.

Oilers netminder Mikko Koskinen turned away 31 shots and even stopped breakaways from Sharks Captain Joe Pavelski and alternate Evander Kane.

"We need to be better on those to give us some goals. We didn't execute tonight." Sharks Captain Joe Pavelski stated.

The Sharks(13-6-3) will wrap up their 6 game homestand on Friday night with the Vancouver Canucks(11-13) before heading to the desert to play Vegas.