View Single Post
Old 06-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #56
MBMavs20
Pro

MBMavs20's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: MLB 09 The Show: Girardi takes over for Torre

Thursday, June 11th, 2008. Yankees 6 Red Sox 5

This final game of this set will go down as the biggest win of the season so far.

Darrell Rasner was amazing, pitching the game of his life. (His pitch count was 33 heading into the 6th inning!) The Yankees put up 2 runs in the 2nd inning, 1 in the 5th, and 1 in the 7th. Then disaster struck.

With 1 outs in the bottom of the 8th, Julio Lugo took Rasner deep over the Green Monster for a solo HR. 4-1. No problem. Rasner gets Varitek out for 2 outs. Then Ellsbury tripled, so Girardi got Joba Chamberlain up in the bullpen. Pedroia singles Ellsbury home to make it 4-2. Joba is not warmed up yet, so Manny Ramirez comes up, who was 0-3. Well, you guessed it. Rasner throws a fastball low and outside and Ramirez hits a 2-Run HR...

I WAS LIVID!!

I blew a 4 run lead in the blink of an eye... I was so mad I wanted to throw my controller and shut off the game. But I didn't... Didn't want to give the CPU the satisfaction...

Joba came in and pitched 2 solid inning as the game went into the 11th inning. The Yankees pushed across 2 runs and turned it over to Mariano Rivera. Coco Crisp doubled off Rivera and Sean Casey singled him home before Rivera got Lugo to fly out to RF to hold on for a 6-5 Yankees win.

Series notes: in 3 games, the Yankees hit 1 HR and the Red Sox hit 7. Every game was a 1 run victory. Manny was 7-13 with 2 HR's, but David Ortiz was 1-13. Wilson betemit had 7 hits and Bobby Abreu had 6.

The Yankees head home for a 3 game set with the crosstown Mets. The Yankees remain 1.5 games behind the Red Sox in the A.L. East, and the Yankees picked up 2 games on the Chicago White Sox in the A.L. Wildcard standing as the Sox lost 3 of 4 against the Detroit Tigers, who own the best record in the Majors at 47-14.