Old 11-18-2015, 01:53 PM   #80
Money99
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
Huge changes coming to the ASG this year.

http://www.tsn.ca/all-star-game-chan...rning-1.395711

Thoughts?
I love it. Mackenzie's right, the ASG is horrible.
It's gotten to be nearly as bad as the NFL Pro Bowl. Nobody’s even trying out there.
Might as well spruce it up.

And hey, for someone who thinks 4-on-4 is the way of the future, maybe this is just a small, tiny step towards making that a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
I'm firmly in the "bigger nets" camp.

In the 92/93 season, there were 52 players with 80+ points.
In the 14/15 season, there were 5 players with 80+ points.

The game is broken. Spending years wrangling with the NHLPA for slightly smaller goalie equipment isn't going to accomplish much. Since my first suggestion (kill all the coaches) is unlikely to be followed, making the nets bigger is my preferred second option.
Agreed.
I might feel differently if the NHL introduced the new goalie equipment and it looked like Ken Dryden’s gear, but I think everyone knows that won’t be the case.
They’ll take a half-inch off here or there and it won’t amount to much.

Bill Watters was on XM this afternoon and he said something that I think most people can agree with.
There aren’t enough goals scored off a rush. And those are the most exciting goals in hockey.
You can count on one hand how many odd-man rush or breakaway goals you’ll see in a weeks worth of games. And that might be a generous estimate.

I guess that’s why the quantity of goals isn’t what the NHL needs to be looking at improving, but rather the quality.
If the league gets to 8 GPG but all the goals are rebound/deflection/screen goals built from a blast off the point, then I’m not sure they’ve really fixed what’s wrong with today’s game - which is a massive loss of creativity and excitement.
It’s just way too easy to stifle talent and offense in today’s game.
It’s unbalanced and changes such as bigger nets, 4-on-4, not leaving feet to block shots…, need to be implemented in order to rectify that imbalance.