Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #40
moose141
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: The Greatest Playoff Series of the Modern Era

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones
#9 - Penguins def. Capitals 4-3 (2009 East Semifinal)

Yeah, I know. Game 7 was a dud. Crosby vs Ovechkin is a very tired narrative by now. But this was awesome firewagon hockey, perhaps the peak of the "New NHL" era. Two generational talents in their absolute prime going head-to-head for the first and only time.

PS: Of all the series I've listed in this thread, this is the only one that I didn't see a single game of while it was actually going on. I was in Europe for the entire 2nd and 3rd rounds, and got back to Canada just in time for Games 6 & 7 of PIT/DET. But I watched every PIT/WSH (as well as CAR/BOS, ANA/DET, and (sigh) CHI/VAN) game in their entirety on the NHL Network during the summer.
A little late to the party but as I went through each of these pages I was waiting to see if this series would make the cut. Unbelievable series, I know from watching it that there weren't a ton of scrums/bad blood but the quality of hockey and pace of the game in this series was fantastic. Not to mention the level that Crosby and Ovechkin were playing at in this series was unbelievable, trading hat tricks in Game 2 and both averaging nearly 2 points per for the series. Not to mention that aside from Game 7 basically every game was decided by a goal with a pair of the games going to overtime.

Doing a great job with all of these recaps, love seeing all of the series from the past! Awesome idea.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey