Old 07-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #15
lufc4ever
Rookie

lufc4ever's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riderfan
As a soccer player in Canada...

1) "Second Striker" - Where you've got him, he's a Center Forward. A 2nd Striker should be beside the first striker. (It's pretty obvious really, you've got Center Back and Center Midfield right...)
2) A "Stopper" is just another name for a Center Back. (I checked Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defender_(association_football) and it agrees with me)

But overall, good job. That should help those who don't know the game.
I would say there isn't much difference between a center forward and a striker positionally. I would consider a center forward more like a big, old fashioned target man like Emile Heskey. A striker would be someone like Michael Owen, a small, often quick forward who's job is to stick the ball in the back of the net. I would consider Mario Gomez a center forward, even though he scores a lot.

A second striker would be someone like Dennis Bergkamp when he played with Henry at Arsenal. He dropped back into midfield, linked and created chances for the finisher Henry. Generally now, second strikers are being used as lone strikers, like Robin van Persie now.

However, the original article is still good for people new to the beautiful game.
Advertisements - Register to remove