View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #647
kblu54
MVP

OVR: 15
ESPN Interview

This past Sunday, Clemson QB Jerry McLaughlin sat down with ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit to discuss his decision to return, the Tigers' current quest for a national title, and his future as an NFL QB.

Kirk Herbstreit: Hey Jerry, thanks for sitting down with me today.

McLaughlin: No problem Kirk. Happy to be here.

Herbstreit: First things first. Why did you come back?

McLaughlin: Haha... well Kirk... I just felt like I had unfinished business here. I didn't feel like I had accomplished all I wanted. This senior class we have, I mean, we came to Clemson to win a national championship. We were the #1 class in the nation, meaning we were the best group of players. Meaning we should be the best team in the nation. Meaning we should win a national title. That's what I came back for.

Herbstreit: Most college players, especially those who are obviously headed to the NFL, leave early in fear of injury. A lot of people criticized you for coming back due to that fact. You have already missed half a season due to a broken collarbone. Are you afraid of jeopardizing your future?

McLaughlin: I don't feel like I'm jeopardizing it. I actually feel like I am making a stronger case. When I broke my collarbone as a sophomore, it was a fluke injury. I am stronger, faster, more mindful of my body and the game of college football itself.

Herbstreit: Speaking of the future, most draft experts and NFL scouts had you pegged for the #1 overall pick, yet you spurned millions of dollars to return to Clemson. Are you worried that your draft stock may fall a bit by returning?

McLaughlin: I don't understand how a player's draft stock can fall by returning to school. Will my draft stock fall if we win the national title? Will my draft stock fall if I win the Heisman? I still feel that I am one of the best QBs in the nation, and if the NFL decides all of sudden that I'm not? Whoever does draft me will be getting a very angry and hungry QB.

Herbstreit: Let's talk about the "Guarantee". That press conference you held will forever be associated with you. And of course, the success of this season will forever be associated with that statement. Do you regret making such a strong remark months before the season even began?

McLaughlin: No, not at all. I believed then and I believe now that we are the best team in the nation and we will win the BCS National title. People criticized me for being so secretive about my plans, and avoiding the media and everybody. I just needed some time for myself. To talk about my plans with my family. To decide what was best for me. I knew I had more to complete at Clemson.

Herbstreit: This season, you guys have gotten off to a 3-0 start, but it has not been a very dominant start. You easily beat Richmond, an FCS team. You barely beat Maryland, a conference foe you usually dominate. And you beat a tough Missouri team handily, but you threw 4 interceptions. Are you concerned?

McLaughlin: No, not at all. We're just off to a little bit of a sluggish start, that's all. I mean we do have a ton of starters returning but all the new guys need some time to get into mid-season form. We have 3 new starters on the offensive line, so obviously I've seen more pressure than last season. And don't get me wrong, Missouri is a lot better than their record shows. They will probably compete for or win the Big 12 North, so I'm not worried about throwing some picks against them.

Herbstreit: You were very careful with the ball last season. Over 70% completion percentage, only 11 picks until the bowl game. This season through only 3 games, you've thrown 6 picks and lost 2 fumbles. Do you feel a little rusty or are you feeling pressured to perform at a higher level?

McLaughlin: Just some early-season mistakes. I made a few bad reads, but really, all that matters to me is the final score. As long as we get the win every week, I don't care how many picks I throw. The individual achievements aren't that important to me anymore. I reached the top, I won the Heisman. What more is there to prove? I'm all about winning as a team.

Herbstreit: Speaking of winning the Heisman, your return is one of few. Only a select handful of players have returned for another season after winnin the Heisman Trophy. You, of course, being one of them. Do you feel that you can win it again, becoming only the 2nd player ever to do so?

McLaughlin: Winning the Heisman again would be great but it's not my ultimate goal. Winning the national title is my ultimate goal. If we win it all and I win the Heisman, great. If we win it all and I don't, whatever. There's only one trophy I'm worried about, and that's the crystal ball.

Herbstreit: Talk a little about Coach Borland. What is your opinion of him, and how do you think he's handled all the increased pressure and scrutiny?

McLaughlin: I love Coach Borland. When he was recruiting me, he knew I was a good athlete and that I wasn't a true QB coming out of high school. But he came to visit me one time and said "This offense was designed for someone like you". He showed me all the success and numbers his QBs had put up, like Crews and Will Dunn from BYU, and he explained how I could eclipse all of their numbers. I was just convinced then and there that Clemson was right for me. And from that point on, I've never been let down. Coach Borland really took the national title loss hard, like we all did. He never blamed anyone for it either. I still blame myself for that loss, that's kinda why I didn't want to talk to the media. But Coach Borland just stayed focused on what was next, what the next season was gonna bring. I couldn't leave him and my teammates without bringing them that championship.

Herbstreit: Thanks again Jerry, and good luck this season.

McLaughlin: Thanks, Kirk.

OS Thread Link - Website Link