Home

Retired Jersey #'s

This is a discussion on Retired Jersey #'s within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-23-2022, 01:15 PM   #1
Rookie

Dagan's Arena

OVR: 0
Retired Jersey #'s

This may not go anywhere. Maybe it'll just be me thinking out loud.

I feel like the NFL needs to quit retiring jersey #'s and instead just be very, very selective ever giving them out. I look at a team like the NY Giants, and geez, they barely have any numbers for QB's to choose from anymore. If I'm a college QB and actually really good and will be a franchise guy for maybe two decades, it's going to suck if my favorite jersey number was either 1 - 4 - 7 - 10 - 11 - 14 - 16. This makes even less sense when the NFL now allows a lot more position players to choose and take the only remaining numbers that a QB is only allowed to choose from.

I also think that we are witnessing how a player from so long ago in no way matches what present day players are capable of, so the retired numbers of said player aren't a big deal at all. Maybe, their jersey number should only be retired for the rest of their living years and then reinstated?

Another thing, opinion based more so, but I think a lot of folks would argue that some players with retired jerseys don't even make sense. I certainly don't understand why some are retired.

Then there's how some teams aren't even the same name anymore, but they still have old franchise team name jerseys retired. Huh? That's about the weirdest one. To a lesser degree, how about just the fact that so many teams have way different uniforms, now, so it doesn't even look the same should a new player wear that number again?

Yeah, though, just letting my thoughts get typed out. I guess I'm just wondering if this kind of thing ever makes people question it, too.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2022, 04:11 PM   #2
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Re: Retired Jersey #'s

I go back and forth on this one.

I think the Packers have done it right. Only their true legends have their numbers up. Willie Davis (87) is the only exception I can think of. He sits at 99.5 sacks with the new unofficial count, the Packers all-time leader. 1st team All-Pro in 4 of their 5 Championship seasons, all of the 3-peat years. Its criminal seeing WRs and scrub TEs wearing that number.

I think with the unofficial sack stat being more official, Willie will have a pretty good shot at being honored.

I REALLY don't like seeing guys wearing LeRoy Butler (36) Sterling Sharpe (84) and Charles Woodsons (21) numbers. With the new number rules, I hope I don't see them on the field too often.

Last edited by Madden08PCgmr; 08-23-2022 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:05 PM   #3
Hoos Rising

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

I like how the Cowboys do things, where certain jersey numbers carry tradition with them. #88 for a star wide receiver is an obvious one, but #48 for a star blocking back, #94 for a premiere edge rusher, and (recently) #73 for a highly drafted offensive lineman also bring history forward to the present.

Additionally, while the Cowboys don't officially retire numbers, I know #8 and #22 have not been issued since Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith departed. I think #12 (Roger Staubach) and #74 (Bob Lilly, aka "Mr. Cowboy") are similarly protected. #40 for Bill Bates might be as well? But I am less certain about that.
Old 08-25-2022, 08:29 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

Sometimes I wish the Bears would retire the numbers of exceptionally bad players. They could have the greatest WR to ever play and if he wears #83 all I’ll be able to think of is David Terrell
Old 08-30-2022, 06:05 PM   #5
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Except for 42 Im against all numbers being retired.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »