Home

Old 08-28-2022, 01:57 AM   #35985
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NFL Off Topic

in response to having a regular player on the 53 man roster who can kick if necessary, I can't help but think of the Lions when Suh was the emergency kicker and couldn't even make an extra point, and that was when it was still snapped from the 2. He legitimately won the emergency kicker job in practice, and he was a soccer guy, it's just not that simple
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2022, 01:59 AM   #35986
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
How dare you assume he read the details!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Don't treat me like I'm one of those people that get on here and troll or intentionally say stupid **** just to get a rise out of people. I have zero reputation around here for being that type of person. As a matter of fact, I don't have a reputation at all. If you have an issue with me, I'm just a PM away.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 08-28-2022, 02:02 AM   #35987
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlluminatusUIUC
Some kickers, especially older ones, don't have the leg strength to get the ball into the endzone regularly. However, because they are so valuable as placekickers, they don't aggressively pursue the returner. They kick and then hang back as a desperation play in case he breaks through. If you have another guy kick, he can also aggressively play coverage and having 11 guys active is an edge.

There are guys all over the league with this job description. Matthew Slater is a "wide receiver" with 8 targets in 200+ games. Special Teams is his job. It seems like there's an opportunity here for someone to stick on a roster in the same fashion.
You need someone to hang back in case something gets loose. You shouldn't have all 11 gunning for the returner. That will cause more kick returns for a touchdown.

And you don't need two Matthew Slaters on a team.

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 08-28-2022, 10:34 AM   #35988
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
in response to having a regular player on the 53 man roster who can kick if necessary, I can't help but think of the Lions when Suh was the emergency kicker and couldn't even make an extra point, and that was when it was still snapped from the 2. He legitimately won the emergency kicker job in practice, and he was a soccer guy, it's just not that simple
I was specifically referring to kickoffs and not placekicking.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:37 AM   #35989
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
You need someone to hang back in case something gets loose. You shouldn't have all 11 gunning for the returner. That will cause more kick returns for a touchdown
With 11 actively covering, there aren't enough blockers to account for them. If the guy gets through, you're asking a kicker (specifically in my example, an older kicker) to open field tackle a returner with a full head of steam. That is, assuming that the kicker isn't getting blown up by a blocker himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerfan
I said 75 yards. Because you said "blast a ball through the end zone".

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I meant to write to and not through, but you are correct. My mistake.
Old 08-28-2022, 11:15 AM   #35990
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
Don't treat me like I'm one of those people that get on here and troll or intentionally say stupid **** just to get a rise out of people. I have zero reputation around here for being that type of person. As a matter of fact, I don't have a reputation at all. If you have an issue with me, I'm just a PM away.

I'm treating you like your take on this makes me infer that you didn't read the details and are just doing a generic "let's wait and see approach".

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Old 08-28-2022, 03:56 PM   #35991
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
NFL Off Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
He admitted to it man.

The only defense against this is that his admission was only made public by the accuser’s/her lawyer’s statement/press release. There could be a chance they characterize it differently then what it was. I would imagine since she was assisted by law enforcement in getting that admission from Araiza that the recording will come out for all to judge as the case works through the court system, civil or criminal.

That admission is a major factor in why “rushing to judgement” doesn’t really feel like a rush for this case. So I hope that it’s as clear as it was presented. It certainly seemed quite damning to me.

I’m still of the mind that with what we know, the Bills cutting him was a no brainer. Even if he ends up being exonerated, for this moment in time, it was the right move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-28-2022, 04:13 PM   #35992
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
The only defense against this is that his admission was only made public by the accuser’s/her lawyer’s statement/press release. There could be a chance they characterize it differently then what it was. I would imagine since she was assisted by law enforcement in getting that admission from Araiza that the recording will come out for all to judge as the case works through the court system, civil or criminal.

That admission is a major factor in why “rushing to judgement” doesn’t really feel like a rush for this case. So I hope that it’s as clear as it was presented. It certainly seemed quite damning to me.

I’m still of the mind that with what we know, the Bills cutting him was a no brainer. Even if he ends up being exonerated, for this moment in time, it was the right move.
It would've been a PR nightmare & possibly fractured the fanbase. As well as tarnishing the culture and legacy of the McDermott/Beane regime.

Official HQ of Bills Backer/Spurs Nation

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »