Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Hockey Dynasties (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   In A New York Minute...My BAP/OS'ers Race to the NHL (/forums/showthread.php?t=326342)

derrickthomas58 06-16-2009 07:39 AM

In A New York Minute...My BAP/OS'ers Race to the NHL

The twine bulges as the puck slams into the back of the net. The puck that was just on the blade of my stick. It’s a goal. A Golden goal. A goal that I just scored in overtime in the Gold Medal game at the World Junior tournament, to give Canada the gold medal. Finnish goaltender Mikko Lehtinen looks behind him in disbelief.

Suddenly, I’m mobbed by my teammates. They all pile on top of me. It’s hard to breath. Things are getting blurry. Is it lack of oxygen from having an entire team on top of you, laughing, screaming and celebrating? No, it’s from the tears in my eyes. I did it. The entire country said I would do it…and I did. The fans here in Canada are going nuts.

After the game, we head back to the locker room. My mother and father come in. Mom’s crying her eyes out as usual. I think she cries everytime I score a goal. She gives me a big hug. I look at dad who quickly looks away, as if something has caught his eye. “Good game,” he says. But I saw the redness and moisture in his eyes. He won’t let me see it though. That’s just like him. I know they are both proud of me.

Fast forward 6 months. It’s the NHL Entry Draft being held in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:City><ST1:pDetroit. The NY Islanders have the #1 pick and everyone knows they are using it on me. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman waddles out to the podium to presumably announce the NHL Entry draft in underway…

“Welcome to the NHL Entry Draft. Before we get things underway, we have a trade to announce.” The building is buzzing as it appears the Islanders have possibly traded down. I look at mom and dad, as my situation is now unclear. I have been checking out Long Island for the last couple of weeks, could it be for nothing? Bettman continues…”The NY Islanders have traded the #1 overall pick to the Detroit Red Wings in exchang…” Nobody can hear Bettman anymore. Joe Louis Arena is going crazy. The Wings have the #1 pick! Suddenly, chants of “DT! DT! DT!” start up. I think I’m going to faint. I love the Red Wings. Suddenly, the waste of time in Long Island doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Ken Holland, Jim Nill, Mike Babcock and Steve Yzerman go to the podium to make their selection. “With the #1 pick in the draft, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select, Derrick Thomas.” I stand up. Mom is crying. Big shocker there. I turned to her and give her a hug. I thank her for everything she has done, everything she has sacrificed for me. I look over to dad, who is looking at me and smiling…and crying. The sight of that makes me start crying too. Fans are cheering for me, “DT!, DT!, DT!”

I make my way to the podium, passing by Mikko Lehtinen, who gives me a dirty look. Still sore from the World Juniors, I guess. I walk up the steps and Gary Bettman extends his hand. “Welcome to the NH…”

BLEEP. BLEEP. BLEEP. BLEEP.

I reach over to turn off my alarm clock. I rub my eyes and look at the clock. 5:00 a.m. The house is silent. The dream. I had it again. I’ve lost track of how many times I have dreamt the same dream. Funny how that Lehtinen kid made it into the dream. I guess it was because I had read some articles yesterday on how he is supposed to be the next big Finnish goaltender. I sit up and look around. It still doesn’t feel like home. It’s not really. I’ve never had a real home. Moving from place to place for as long as I can remember. Foster homes. Ever since my mom and dad left me in a basket on a church doorstep three months into my life. Everything can change, in a New York minute

derrickthomas58 06-16-2009 08:27 AM

Re: In A New York Minute...My BAP/OS'ers Race to the NHL

Hockey practice. The one thing in my life I can count on. Frank, my foster parent, drives me to practice every time. His wife, Kate, always comes with us too. I load my hockey gear into their tiny car. My hockey gear, all second hand. Going from foster home to foster home, there was never time or money to get new stuff. Some of this equipment probably doesn’t protect me very good. One time, Frank offered to buy me a whole new set of equipment, but I said no. Frank doesn’t make a whole lot of money, and he and Kate have two kids of their own to worry about. I was grateful for the offer though. Frank and Kate are the closest thing I have ever had to a real set of parents.
I enter the locker room. Nobody speaks to me. I’m not part of the team. Frank knows the head coach, so he got me some practice time with the team as a favor. I sit down and look around. The guys are laughing and ribbing each other while they put on their new equipment. While they tape up their equipment, I tape mine together.
Today’s practice was the same as always. I’m probably the best player out there. Nobody will admit that though. Coming off the ice after practice, a man I’ve seen before at our practices is looking at me with a smirk on his face…

“Hellova practice Derrick…again.”

“Do I know you?” I reply to him

“Not yet, my name is Tony Cuomo, I’m a scout for the Halifax Mooseheads of the QMJHL. I’ve been following you for a while now.”

“You…have? How did you know about me?”

“Frank. He’s a friend o’mine. He told me months ago that you were quite the hockey player…told me to come down and have a look. He was right.”

Wow. I had no idea Frank had done that for me. I was so caught up in that, I never heard what Tony was saying to me.

“Sorry…what did you just say?”

“I said the Mooseheads are going to draft you to play for us.”

My stick fell to the floor. I was shocked. This stranger was standing in front of me telling me that I was going to be playing in the QMJHL. All because of Frank. In a New York minute.

GoldenJet 06-16-2009 08:46 AM

Haha, nice man. I liked that update.

derrickthomas58 06-16-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenJet (Post 2039710426)
Haha, nice man. I liked that update.

Thanks man, glad you like it. I hope this BAP goes over well.

derrickthomas58 06-16-2009 09:04 AM

Four years later. It’s my draft year. I’ve been selected to represent Canada at the World Junior Tournament for the first time ever. I scored two goals and two assists in the round robin. Here we are now in the Gold Medal Game against <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com</st1:country-region>Finland, in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Finland</st1:country-region>. Yesterday, I watched as USA beat Russia 5-4 for the Bronze. The Americans have some good players like Steven Raczkowski, Peter Carey, Nick Ritt, James Aldridge, Scott Quickel, Steve Holley, Patrick Cosgrove and Ernie Volpe on their squad. Defenseman Ken Plotzke scored the winning goal midway through the 3<SUP>rd</SUP> period.

The Gold Medal game is underway and Canada gets an early chance as Kyle King sends Haden Franke in on a breakaway in the opening minute but he is turned aside by Finnish goaltender Mikko Lehtinen. The first goal would come in the final four minutes of the first when <st1:country-region w:st="on">Finland</st1:country-region>’s Teemu Ruutu scores on the powerplay to make it 1-0. <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> would tie in early in the second period when Jamie Chattaway scores on assists from Jeff Shannon and John Tavares and the game is tied 1-1 heading into the third period.

Five minutes remain in the game. Kyle King makes a sensational play and gets a pass up to Eric Hunter who goes in with me on a 2 on 1. Hunter takes the shot and Lehtinen makes a big save but the puck comes directly to my stick. Here it is, just like my dream. I’m going to win gold for <st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> as I look at the wide open cage in front of me. I shoot the puck towards the middle of the open cage. Mikko Lehtinen dives back and puts his paddle on the ice right in front of the goal crease…the Finnish crowd goes nuts as Lehtinen makes an unbelievable save to keep Finland alive. The Hartwall Areena is deafening with chants of “Mikko! Mikko! Mikko!”

I skate back to the bench dejected as team captain Jason Skyland just looks at me and shrugs. “We’ll get it next time man” is all he can say. But we won’t. Less than two minutes later Teemu Ruutu scores again and Finland wins the Gold Medal game, 2-1. Funny how things can turn, in a New York minute.
<O:p</O:p

GoldenJet 06-16-2009 09:09 AM

Don't worry man, we'll get it next time.:cool:

shinderhizzle84 06-16-2009 10:14 AM

sorry about busting your balls, there, DT.

But otherwise, WOW! What a great thing you've got going on here!

I absolutely love it. The writing is superb, the whole "foster child" idea is spectacular, and it leaves me wanting more, and more, and more!

Great job! I think this is actually even better than mine!

GoldenJet 06-16-2009 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shinderhizzle84 (Post 2039710654)
sorry about busting your balls, there, DT.

But otherwise, WOW! What a great thing you've got going on here!

I absolutely love it. The writing is superb, the whole "foster child" idea is spectacular, and it leaves me wanting more, and more, and more!

Great job! I think this is actually even better than mine!

Um, I have nothing to say to that, anyways good job DT, and hope we play together more in the NHL.