Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   College Basketball (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   2008/2009 Kentucky Wildcats Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=288689)

PhantomPain 01-14-2009 10:12 PM

2008/2009 Kentucky Wildcats Thread

How about them Cats? I think we are seeing a marked improvement every single game and if Meeks and Patterson continue to play well, with the hopeful emergence of a consistent 3rd scorer, I think we will have a nice run this year. No I don't think we will win it all, but you can never count out a guy like Meeks pulling out some big wins.

I am very happy for the way the team has played the past few games and hopefully it will continue to get better for us. Meeks is ridiculous this year and Patterson is always strong. I would love to see Miller continue to gain some confidence because I truly think he will be a UK great by the time his career is over with at UK.

I do see some trouble for us next year if Patterson and Meeks end up going pro. Actually I think the biggest key is Meeks. With Daniel Orton coming in along with Pilgrim, I think Patterson's production can be replaced by 1-2 guys. But I do not think we can replace Meeks. Jon Hood, from everything I have seen and read, will be very good and may be a pretty big contributor from the get go, but obviously not on the level of Meeks this year. And we really don't have anyone to back him up.

If Meeks AND Patterson come back (as well as a consistent 3rd scorer) I think we have our sights on a Final Four. If only Meeks comes back, then possibly Final Four or maybe Elite 8 and if neither come back, well....I don't really want to think about it as I think it will set us back another 2 years. If they stay then other guys get experience plus who will be coming in, will put us back to the top.

Anyway, this year's team is starting to come together and while it has been frustrating, it is starting to get fun again. I don't expect us to go undefeated in the down SEC, but I would think a 13-3 record is within reach.

GO BIG BLUE!!!

jetercanoturn2 01-14-2009 10:27 PM

Re: 2008/2009 Kentucky Wildcats Thread

I was hoping the best college basketball team of all time (want to argue, read the facts) would finally get their own thread. I agree this team has improved on everything, My biggest surprise is definitely Michael Porter "a turnover machine earlier in the year" now is playing excellent ball. He has become a very essential part of this team. I love the way he is driving and passing, he can knock down that three too. Like I said earlier, I'm sorry Porter for all the bad things I said about you, and this is the only time I'm glad to be shut up:wink:

PhantomPain 01-14-2009 10:45 PM

I think Porter gets the award (so far) for "Most Improved Player" this year!

jetercanoturn2 01-14-2009 11:00 PM

Haha love your sig:woot: But you could definitely make a case for him, He's really turned the corner. I mean I don't think I'm exaggerating one bit when I say he was God-awful earlier in the season!!! But now he has really calmed down and is really good at bringing the ball up the court. Let me ask you this Phantom, I heard that Liggins and Gillespie got in a verbal altercation at practice, Did you hear about that too? Because he didn't play at all last night.

PhantomPain 01-14-2009 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetercanoturn2 (Post 2039085244)
Haha love your sig:woot: But you could definitely make a case for him, He's really turned the corner. I mean I don't think I'm exaggerating one bit when I say he was God-awful earlier in the season!!! But now he has really calmed down and is really good at bringing the ball up the court. Let me ask you this Phantom, I heard that Liggins and Gillespie got in a verbal altercation at practice, Did you hear about that too? Because he didn't play at all last night.

I did not hear anything about that. I knew he must have been in the doghouse for something and to be honest, an altercation doesn't surprise me. I am not sure how I feel about Liggins. His handle isn't anywhere near as good as I had hoped, he dribbles way too high, and he seems to have an attitude that isn't good. All I know is that earlier in the year I was wishing like heck that he was the starting point guard and now I really don't care if he plays. We need team players, not prima donnas and so far he hasn't shown me that he has "team" in his vocabulary.

Don't get me wrong, I do think he has some very nice talent. But his attitude seems to suck and that isn't good for anyone. If he were to "figure it out" with the team and the coaching staff and start playing the way he is capable, then I would be ecstatic. But until then I am not going to worry too much about it since Porter has seemingly turned a corner.

But please let me know if you hear anything in his or any other player's regards. I did hear that Patterson was having his sprained ligaments in his fingers tested (MRI) today. Hopefully he isn't too hurt but you can tell he isn't himself the past two games.

jetercanoturn2 01-14-2009 11:22 PM

I agree wholeheartedly about Liggins, he has alot of talent and could really help this team, "although I'm not that high on him as I was at the start of the season". Until he show's MJ skill's on the court he needs to shutup and be more team-oriented or get out, If he wants to be another Alex Legion. You don't see Galloway crying the blues when he doesn't get playing time. And right now Porter deserves playing time over Liggins, Liggins has not been a very reliable pg. I hope Patterson is fine, because he's a bear and we need him at 100% all the time. I did notice his shot being a little off the last couple of games.

jasontoddwhitt 01-15-2009 01:43 PM

It's not officially known what Liggins did to draw the ire of Billy Gillispie that led to him getting benched against Tennessee. But it's been taken care of and barring something drastic happening between now and Sunday, expect Liggins to be in the rotation against Georgia.

wildcatchild 01-15-2009 06:40 PM

Finally, a thread of our own! I love it.

Some more things I love: Darius Miller's play against UT, Porter's improved handle, Meeks's 54, Patterson's jump hook, and, of course, all things Gillispie (except for his crazy substitution patterns).