Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show Rosters (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=522)
-   -   Pop CulPture Fictional Rosters (/forums/showthread.php?t=1018005)

MysterioMan007 03-24-2024 09:34 PM

Pop CulPture Fictional Rosters

Sorry about the post in the regular section. I meant to post this here...

I've toyed with this idea for many years, but it wasn't until they included the ability to create female players that I actually decided to do this. Basically, what I'm in the process of doing is watching any TV show/film featuring baseball players or baseball-themed and creating a 26-man roster from fictional media, including movies, television, novels, and video games. I had started this on MLB 20, but was having trouble picking and choosing who would be on what team. Ideally, you'd want the Sandlot kids together on the Dodgers, but there's been other Dodgers that should be on that team as well, so I toyed with the idea of leaving Benny the Jet on the Dodgers and putting the other kids on a lesser-represented team, but I think I will end up switching that so that the kids from The Sandlot can team up on the same team. Also, I didn't really want to include real players, but once I started putting the rosters together, I decided to include fictionalized versions of real players. Even if they play themselves on a show or something, it counts. What Mets team would be complete without ******* spitter Keith Hernandez from Seinfeld on the team?

So, the first team I've started working on is the Arizona Diamondbacks, which are mostly represented from the underrated independent baseball film "Undrafted". I haven't decided who to complete the team with yet, but the D-Backs from the movie will be on the real-life Diamondbacks along with their movie rivals, The Bulldogs, and will have more pitchers added from other media as a I find more material to view/read.

1B - Brian "Fotch" Rocco
2B - Chris Zapata
SS - John "Maz" Mazello
3B - Ty Dellamonica
C - Jon Garvey
LF - Chris Triana
CF - Pat Murray
RF - Vinnie Malzahn
DH/C - Arthur Barone
BN - Ryan Pallaco
BN - David Stein
BN - Alex Cabrera
BN - Chad Hart
SP - Jonathan Dellamonica
SP - Michael Antonelli
Pitching Staff TBD

I watched this movie on Friday night and created all of them except for Chad Hart (Charty) and Alex Cabrera. I will have to go back and look at the footage for them.

I also viewed the film "Blue Skies Again" about a female trying to break into the major leagues as a second baseman, made in 1983 or so. Since the team is the Denver Devils in that movie, their already-made represented players, Paula Fradkin, Ken Lagomarsino, Calvin Berry, and Alvin "Wall Street" Chandler will end up on the Tampa Bay Rays, sharing the team with the Tampico Stogies from "Long Gone", another old TV movie I missed as a kid. If there's interest, I'll post up the remaining rosters as I make progress. Tonight, I'm going to watch "Long Gone" and maybe "A League of Their Own" so I can do the Rockford Peaches next with a mix of players from the movie and the recent TV show. I prefer to have the characters on their teams from the media, but it doesn't always work out that way and some will have to switch allegiances. But, I can promise that the 1989 Cleveland Indians will remain a unit on the Guardians team and the San Diego Padres from the short-lived TV show "Pitch" will also stay together, combining with the Padres from the 80's TV movie "The Kid From Left Field". "The Bad News Bears" will also be represented, as well as the Minnesota Twins hybrid from "Little Big League" and "Major League: Back to the Minors". More to come...maybe.

MysterioMan007 03-30-2024 09:17 PM

Re: Pop CulPture Fictional Rosters

I will continue to add to the roster as I (roughly) finish each team. There will be additions to incomplete teams at a later date. So far, I've completed players from 3 different movies.

Arizona Diamondbacks (Incomplete)

From the movie Undrafted (2016):
1B - Brian "Fotch" Rocco
2B - Chris Zapata
SS - John "Maz" Mazello
3B - Ty Dellamonica
C - Jon Garvey
LF - Chris Triana
CF - Pat Murray
RF - Vinnie Malzahn
DH/C - Arthur Barone
BN - Ryan Pallaco
BN - David Stein
BN - Alex Cabrera
BN - Chad Hart
BN Anthony Barr
SP - Jonathan Dellamonica
SP - Michael Antonelli
Pitching Staff TBD

Tampa Bay Rays (Tampico Stogies)

From Long Gone (1987)
1B Buster Smerglia
2B Jamie Weeks
SS Paco Izquierdo
3B Pukey Smathers
C Joe Louis Brown
OF Knucksie Chapell
OF Scooter Gable
OF Lucky Lucadello
BN Bart Polanski
BN Whiz Whsonant
BN Peaches Cluff
SP Cecil "Stud" Cantrell
SP Bubba Bean

From Blue Skies Again (1983):
2B Paula Fradkin
2B Ken Lagomarsino
OF Calvin Berry
SP Alvin "Wall Street" Chandler

Any missing characters from the movie have been assigned to another team. I'm currently watching A League of Their Own (1993) and will follow it with the recent TV series on Amazon.

BleacherCreature 03-31-2024 02:34 PM

Cool idea! Even though it’s a softball movie you should check out Artie Lange’s Beer League for more player ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MysterioMan007 03-31-2024 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleacherCreature (Post 2050900961)
Cool idea! Even though it’s a softball movie you should check out Artie Lange’s Beer League for more player ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen it, enjoyed it, and am including players from there, kind of meshing them into a team with The Benchwarmers crew...

This stuff from A League of Their Own is taking a little bit longer than I thought. The movie characters are mostly done, but the series is taking a bit longer to watch.

But here's my next team:

Kansas City Royals (The Rockford Peaches)
1B Helen Hailey
2B Marla Hooch
SS Jess McReady
3B Doris Murphy
C Dottie Hinson
LF Shirley Baker
CF Mae Mordabito
RF Evelyn Gardner
BN Alice Gaspers
BN Maybelle Fox
BN Jo Deluca
BN Greta Gill
BN Esti Gonzalez
BN Carson Shaw
SP Kit Keller
SP Lupe Garcia
SP Max Chapman
SP Ellen Sue Gotlander (Two-Way Player)
RP Betty "Spaghetti" Horn (Two-way player)
RP Terri Cobell
RP Esther Warner

Rest of the team TBD...

Next up, The Chicago Cubs from Rookie of the Year and more...

Fistofjustice10 03-31-2024 05:54 PM

Oh my God, its Billy Frick!

MysterioMan007 04-01-2024 10:03 PM

I'll be finishing up the Rockford Peaches tonight, but here's a look at what I have for the Chicago Cubs:

*Special note: Any time a player doesn't have an official first name in a movie, I will go with the actor's or actress's first name who portrays that character...if available.

From Rookie of the Year (1993)

1B Stan Okie
2B Emilio Suarez
SS Sam Fern
C Billy Frick
C Billy Richards
3B Neil Mullens
BN Phil Brickma
SP Chet "The Rocket" Steadman
SP David Pierce
RP Henry Rowengartner
RP Sal Martinella
RP Frank Peyton

From Random Media:

1B Joe Castle (Calico Joe novel)
SS Linda Sunshine (She's on First novel)
3B Jimmy Dugan (A League of Their Own [1993])
BN Gary Hall (A League of Their Own [2022])
SP Casey "Dove" Porter (A League of Their Own [2022])
SP Lefty Maginnis (Everyone's Hero [2006])
SP Johnny Moss (Clubhouse [2004])
SP Jim Cable (Clubhouse [2004])
RP Paul Narita (Days of Our Lives)
RP Peter Stone (Chicago Justice, Law and Order: SVU)

Still need two more position players and two more pitchers as well...

Next, once these guys are done, I'll probably work on The Benchwarmers/Beer League hybrid team.

SashaBanksFan4Ever 04-02-2024 12:42 AM

Who can make some wwe women on mlb 24?

MysterioMan007 04-02-2024 05:29 PM

I'm watching stuff faster than I can make the players. I will probably just list the teams as I watch along with stuff and do the rosters at my own pace. Up next:

The Colorado Rockies (The Benchwarmers)

From The Benchwarmers franchise:

3B Zak Swegman
C Richie Goodman
BN Howie Goodman
RF Ben McGrath
CF Clark Reedy
LF Jill Millford
BN Ramona Lowe
BN Lee Kashmir
BN Garfield Dopkins
SP Gus Matthews
SP Annie Holm
SP Gordon Stenhouse
SP Howard Graham
RP Mel Carmichael
RP Dougie Schmitt
RP Manny Wolf
RP Chris Krinsky

From Beer League
1B Artie DeVanzo
2B Michael "Maz" Mazarelli
SS Johnny Trinno
3B Alphonse Deeg
BN Tim Minor
SP Dirt Cassel
SP Dennis Mangenelli

From other media:

SP Bronc Burnett (Bronc Burnett novels)
RP Chip Hilton (Chip Hilton novels)

Next up, I'll be watch The Bad News Bears trilogy, the remake, and the TV series based on the original movie....