Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Non-Sports Gaming (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Dragon's Dogma 2 (/forums/showthread.php?t=999388)

LambertandHam 06-16-2022 06:32 PM

Dragon's Dogma 2

Announced today via Capcom Youtube stream with Hidaeki Itsuno. Project is in development and will use Capcom's "RE Engine".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ORz9ArXP-Ww" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10 years of waiting, loved the original. Happy a sequel is finally coming.

Bullit 06-16-2022 09:20 PM

Re: Dragon's Dogma 2

So pumped for this

rudyjuly2 02-16-2024 09:07 AM

Releases March 22. I never played the first one but the videos all look good. I like the different classes. I will probably go with the standard shield and sword warrior but the thief is a close second. Sorcerer is cool but I hate getting my *** kicked up close lol.

I do have some major concerns. Not happy that the game doesn’t have a performance mode for better frame rate. It’s an uncapped frame rate right now and hopefully maintains at least 30 FPS. There is very limited fast travel. And only ONE save slot? What kind of stupidity is this? Save files should be virtually unlimited. If you start as one character you can’t have a second save to try something else?

https://youtu.be/7OWekyfI_Xs?si=B9jk4pABRhEyCSJ3

rudyjuly2 02-16-2024 11:44 AM

Here is a list of 4 major vocations and the mixed vocations as well.

https://deltiasgaming.com/dragons-do...tions-classes/

rudyjuly2 03-08-2024 04:53 AM

This is a hilarious preview: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/how...-dogma-2-act-1

A lot of people got a 3 hour hands on. Some good previews out there.

Plus you can download a character creator right now on PS5/Xbox, etc. Can create 5 main characters and 5 pawns to prepare yourself for the games release March 22. All characters will transfer.

Kotaku preview: https://kotaku.com/dragon-dogma-2-preview-1851309086

rudyjuly2 03-20-2024 04:32 PM

Game is getting really good reviews. Graphics won’t be top notch but the fighting, pawns and adventure are a lot of fun. Old school map with no icons, no fast travel and other stuff may annoy people but it’s crazy fun apparently. Getting 87+ in reviews on average. No difficulty level but it is supposed to be dynamic and hard.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/20...le-fantasy-fun

https://www.metacritic.com/game/drag...oogle_vignette

Gotmadskillzson 03-21-2024 10:35 AM

Reviews said this game is tanking even 13900K CPUs in highly populated areas.

mikenoob 03-21-2024 07:59 PM

Surprised there's no preload for PC players. Thankfully I have good download speeds, but feel bad for those out there with less than 10mbps

Dead2009 03-22-2024 08:40 AM

Heard this game was also microtransaction heavy so Im gonna pass.

KSUowls 03-22-2024 10:08 AM

Yeah, I don't think that the micro transactions were well advertised (shocker). The examples that I have seen are pretty insane (even if they are avoidable).

canes21 03-22-2024 07:06 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the MTX not all for things you can earn by playing naturally? They're just shortcuts for people willing to spend money to save some time.

I don't have an issue with them in that case.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

rudyjuly2 03-23-2024 05:44 AM

Just getting started but I fail to see how this game shouldn’t have hit a locked 60 fps. The graphics and animations on PS5 look like a PS4 game lol. The fade to black cut scenes with dialogue button presses is like a PS3 format. I know what a lot of the reviewers meant by goofy or inferior things like this. But I’m excited to get out and explore today. Looks like each vocation will have some cool fighting skills but you have to wait to add them to your character as you level up.

rudyjuly2 03-23-2024 09:06 AM

Played a couple hours this morning. Once you get to a town where you can upgrade your character skills and then set out on adventure it gets good. Lots of things to fight. I quickly dump bad pawns for better ones when I can lol. I did venture into a cave and got my *** kicked after thinking things were too easy.

Kind of wish I stuck with my initial plan of being a fighter. Went thief with my main pawn a fighter instead of a mage sidekick. Inventory weight concerns are real. Dump some stuff off on your pawns.

Having fun so far.

Edit: glad pawn controls are simple and you don’t have full control over them. DAI was annoying with how much you had to manage.

jrnlgrn 03-24-2024 03:00 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Watched The Green Knight earlier so I used Dev Patel as the model for my Arisen. I'm sure with more time or skill I could have done a better job but I'm happy with it.

About 7 hours in so far:
- 3 creating my Arisen (warrior) and Pawn (mage)
- 2 main story
- 2 wandering into trouble and doing NPC quest

Love how dark the nights get. Really amps up the risk/reward of when to set out on your journey. FYI - I believe the day night cycles through every 45 real world minutes.

I'm still rolling with the 2 low level pawns I used to fill out my part in the beginning. We feel like a real team so I'm hesitant to let them go but probably should. Also the pawns pointing out treasure, killing and gathering stuff on their own is really helpful. They repeat some lines too often but I can live with it.

Overall I'm really enjoying the game. it's an open world but not too open if that makes sense. I feel like I have the freedom to go wherever but it's not overwhelming since there aren't map markers screaming at you everywhere.Attachment 211018Attachment 211019Attachment 211020Attachment 211021

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Operation Sports mobile app

kingsofthevalley 03-24-2024 11:01 PM

Watched a few playthroughs of this and it’s just not enticing me to buy. We’ve seen so many fantasy open world games that for me the luster has been completely wiped away, especially when there have been titles before it that have done some of the more nuanced things better.

At this point there are a few non negotiables that I’m not seeing, near absolute requirements (some things can get a pass, but rarely).

Not going to deep dive into those requirements at the moment (I’ll probably come back and edit a list in), but yeah, all I saw was ho hum, generic fantasy world that animates like a PS3 game with a PS5 sheen over it.

rudyjuly2 03-25-2024 05:07 AM

The amount of skills you can acquire for each vocation is cool. You do have to level up to get these things and open up new vocation choices. But it makes combat a lot of fun. I don’t even think I’ve done much for the main quest. I don’t miss fast travel as I walk and am constantly fighting. High giving pawns after battles is fun.

There are definite old school drawbacks with some things but it’s a fun open world with good combat. I fought a Gryphon yesterday and was climbing on him and hacking his head when it took off flying. I ran out of stamina holding on and fell to my death. I did see a video where that happened to someone but they were caught and saved. One issue with combat is you don’t know how strong some enemies are until you get your as kicked. It’s realistic but you better run sometimes.

Dump old pawns as you level up. Side pawns don’t level up with you in real time. You can favourite the, and look for them later. Higher levels have better skills. Buying new weapons is expensive. I’m hesitant to blow my money. Three sets of currency. Gold for buying, XP for skills upgrades and RC for pawn purchases.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/dra...kills-augments

canes21 03-25-2024 10:43 AM

After watching friends play this among others, I decided to give the series a try. I bought the first game, remastered, on Steam for just under $4 and got nearly 3 hours out of it last night. I had a blast and can see why the original was so beloved. I can't believe I had never even heard of the game until the 2nd one came out and I saw the MTX controversy and began reading on it.

KSUowls 03-25-2024 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canes21 (Post 2050897245)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but are the MTX not all for things you can earn by playing naturally? They're just shortcuts for people willing to spend money to save some time.

I don't have an issue with them in that case.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I believe that for Steam users, you can't edit your character without real money. There is even some kind of lock that you can't delete your character and re-roll. So you're just stuck with whatever you make at first. At least that is what I have heard, and I think the developer came out with a statement that they were looking into addressing that.

As for everything else. It depends how much much of a grind it is get in-game currency to do these things. If it's overly punitive (ie: gran turismo) then that's a problem. If it's just a slightly faster way of getting them, then it's annoying that it's there but not a big deal.

Gotmadskillzson 03-25-2024 11:20 PM

Finally bought this. Yeah the FPS drop is real. However if you turn on DLSS you have nothing to worry about. With it turned off, I was dropping down to the upper 40s range. With it turned on I will drop down to the 80s and 90s. Game is just not optimized. Besides that though, the game remind me of Dragon Age Inquisition with the party system and party banter.

However where this game differs is your party members have a brain and do things on their own. So that is very cool to see. I also like the ability to hire and dismiss members whenever. Graphically the game look good, not jaw dropping good like Horizon Forbidden West but good. Even with everything maxed out in 4K it only used around 9GB of VRAM. Much like Dragon Age, it is much to explore. Map appears to be pretty big, plenty of side quests. I chose to play as an archer. I have a mage, warrior and thief in my group. I do love the fact the pawns have different personalities which govern how they behave. Pretty damn cool actually, makes me wish we got some party members like this in FPS and action games.

Combat is pretty simple, simple controls, you really only have to control yourself, your pawns fight on their own as they see fit. You do however get to upgrade their skills and weapons.

Gotmadskillzson 03-26-2024 12:06 PM

One thing I don't like though is that you never know how much more powerful an enemy is until you start fighting them. Came across this super ghost looking thing last night, killed me 3 times and I finally listened to the advice of my pawns of, we really should leave quickly, LOL.

But I do love how alive the pawns are. They are aware of the world, especially the higher level ones and tell you about the places they already been at. They are aware of their past masters too. Like I didn't realize it until my pawns was like, except for master, we are an all female group. Then another one said, oh well, I had another male master who always picked all females too, to each their own. They also seem to be aware of one another and one another skill set too. Pretty cool honestly, makes the world feel alive.

mikenoob 03-26-2024 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSUowls (Post 2050898521)
I believe that for Steam users, you can't edit your character without real money. There is even some kind of lock that you can't delete your character and re-roll. So you're just stuck with whatever you make at first. At least that is what I have heard, and I think the developer came out with a statement that they were looking into addressing that.

As for everything else. It depends how much much of a grind it is get in-game currency to do these things. If it's overly punitive (ie: gran turismo) then that's a problem. If it's just a slightly faster way of getting them, then it's annoying that it's there but not a big deal.

You always were able to edit your character without real money. You can buy an item in the first city by the rift stone for 500 RC which is easily obtained. The microtransaction bashing is way overblown.

Armor and Sword 03-27-2024 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikenoob (Post 2050899023)
You always were able to edit your character without real money. You can buy an item in the first city by the rift stone for 500 RC which is easily obtained. The microtransaction bashing is way overblown.

Like just about anything in today's world on the interweb.

It's exhausting.

canes21 03-27-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson (Post 2050898767)
One thing I don't like though is that you never know how much more powerful an enemy is until you start fighting them. Came across this super ghost looking thing last night, killed me 3 times and I finally listened to the advice of my pawns of, we really should leave quickly, LOL.

But I do love how alive the pawns are. They are aware of the world, especially the higher level ones and tell you about the places they already been at. They are aware of their past masters too. Like I didn't realize it until my pawns was like, except for master, we are an all female group. Then another one said, oh well, I had another male master who always picked all females too, to each their own. They also seem to be aware of one another and one another skill set too. Pretty cool honestly, makes the world feel alive.

I am only playing the first one for the first time, but it's great having my pawns give me advice and tips as we traverse through the world and face new enemy types. Seeing my arrows do little damage until a pawn says, "Go for the tail!" and then hopping on a beast and cutting its tail off and seeing half its health immediately drop is something not too complex, but it gives an experience not a lot of other games give. It just makes the game feel that more immersive and makes the companions feel a bit more unique compared to other games.

Gotmadskillzson 03-27-2024 10:20 AM

Word of advice, don't go southwest walking unless you and your group are powerful. We weren't ready, did a lot of running through a lot of areas just to survive. And apparently towns are spread out far as hell. Like we walked for many real life hours before I came across this beast town that apparently don't have love for pawns at all. Finally got a pawn that have quest guide ability. I am happy now because some of these quests be having you lost far as where you need to go, I was just blindly searching.

Still trying to find the right mix of pawns. So far I am an archer and I am really not feeling it. I have a thief, mage and fighter. I had a warrior and I swear she didn't even fight half the time, it was pissing me off. I might switch to being a mage because every mage I hired so far be passive as hell. I want a mage to tear stuff up in combat. My new fighter is a beast lady, she is a guide which is helpful, however I noticed she dies quiet a bit for a fighter, like way too much. Only helpful thing my current mage does is that when a pawn dies, she will run over there, pick them up and bring them to me for I can revive them. Which is cool, but it is like kill something. It is like my best fighter is my thief.

bry422 03-27-2024 07:09 PM

The one thing keeping me from picking this up is what I've read about the "constant" combat/random encounters. It's sounds like you can't walk for more than 15 seconds in the open world without running into another pack of goblins or wolves.

Some may enjoy this (if true), but it sounds pretty miserable to me. Can someone confirm if this is the case? I like the ability to stop and smell the roses quite a bit in my open world RPGs (think The Witcher 3).

Gotmadskillzson 03-27-2024 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bry422 (Post 2050899398)
The one thing keeping me from picking this up is what I've read about the "constant" combat/random encounters. It's sounds like you can't walk for more than 15 seconds in the open world without running into another pack of goblins or wolves.

Some may enjoy this (if true), but it sounds pretty miserable to me. Can someone confirm if this is the case? I like the ability to stop and smell the roses quite a bit in my open world RPGs (think The Witcher 3).

Some areas of the map are more congested than others. But yeah you will come across combat quite a bit. Even if you take an ox cart, you have a high chance of having combat. Now you don't have to fight them, you can simply run right passed them majority of the time.

rudyjuly2 03-28-2024 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bry422 (Post 2050899398)

Constant combat is true AND fun. This is not a negative for me lol. Reminds me of Shadow of Mordor in a way.

I haven’t seen the whole map but so far the landscape is not very different. DAI has far more varied environments. This game it feels I’m constantly walking on a path surrounded by ridges so the combat is funnelled to me. Hopefully this improves

Gotmadskillzson 03-28-2024 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyjuly2 (Post 2050899570)
Constant combat is true AND fun. This is not a negative for me lol. Reminds me of Shadow of Mordor in a way.

I haven’t seen the whole map but so far the landscape is not very different. DAI has far more varied environments. This game it feels I’m constantly walking on a path surrounded by ridges so the combat is funnelled to me. Hopefully this improves

Go to the southwest corner of the map. Vastly different. Stunning to look at but ultra dangerous. I went there as a level 15, died a lot, ran a ton.

jrnlgrn 03-28-2024 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson (Post 2050899164)
Still trying to find the right mix of pawns. So far I am an archer and I am really not feeling it. I have a thief, mage and fighter. I had a warrior and I swear she didn't even fight half the time, it was pissing me off. I might switch to being a mage because every mage I hired so far be passive as hell. I want a mage to tear stuff up in combat. My new fighter is a beast lady, she is a guide which is helpful, however I noticed she dies quiet a bit for a fighter, like way too much. Only helpful thing my current mage does is that when a pawn dies, she will run over there, pick them up and bring them to me for I can revive them. Which is cool, but it is like kill something. It is like my best fighter is my thief.

I made my pawn a mage that would focus on healing. She swoops in and saves the team (mostly me) all the time. Can't count the number of times I've heard the master has fallen , stay there I'm coming line or you're injured stand by me I'll heal you. She's also good on attack. Teams up with the archer pawn to get those damn harpies out of the air.

Gotmadskillzson 03-29-2024 04:15 AM

Yeah after messing around with different vocations, I agree a good mage is essential. I also back to being an archer again. For some reason I have yet to come across a pawn that was as good and as effective as being an archer I am. I be taking those siren birds out with the quickness, for some reason my archer pawns that I hired seem to struggle with them.

My group currently:

Me - archer
Main Pawn - Fighter. Oh man she is such a bad *** too.
Mage - This time I have one that is semi aggressive. Before my mages were passive. This one don't mind getting down and dirty if need be.
Warrior - Another female tank that is ultra aggressive.

I normally spot enemies before my pawns do and be sniping them from far off. Then I tell my pawns to attack. My fighter and warrior take off with my mage go half way. But if she feels my fighter and warrior are out numbered she will jump in too. Think I have a pretty solid group right now that is well balanced. Me and my main pawn are decked out with good weapons and very good armor which is key imo since your main pawn can't save you if they die too.

Given a choice, I would invest in good armor first. You want to be able to take strong blows. Than afterwards invest in good weapons for you can deal out massive blows. I personally don't see the need to invest in the other 2 pawns since you can always swap them out, unless you find that golden pawn that you really like and want to keep forever.

This is definitely my unexpected hit game of 2024.

rudyjuly2 03-30-2024 07:50 AM

I’ve mainly just been screwing around instead of doing the main missions. I’m a level 21 there with good skills and armour. Just unlocked Mystic Spearhand but I have to drop from level 7 Thief to Level 1 Spearhand. I can’t use the same equipment so I have to build him up from the start. Very few skills again too. This is tough. Sticking with thief for now but I do want to try this.

Gotmadskillzson 04-01-2024 12:10 PM

Level 27 archer currently. Kind of funny 2 days ago I finally realized you can advanced search for pawns to look for the specific type of pawn you want. Finally replaced 2 of my side pawns last night and replaced them with some level 34s. I tend to hire pawns that are higher up than me. Got another fighter and a mage. To me so far at least, Mages are pretty essential to have at least one to keep everybody healed.

Oh yeah one night I was camping and my camp got attacked while we were sleeping. That was chaos. I do love that dark areas and night time are truly DARK. Where as you need to turn on a lantern to see.

jrnlgrn 04-02-2024 09:32 PM

The other day I hired two new pawns and promptly lost them. Can't say I was too fond of them though. Both were kind of jerks from the jump. The one outright told me they would probably ignore my commands and kept talking trash because I wasn't moving fast enough for them. I'm the Arisen don't talk back to me... pawn! The other pawn was a bit more helpful but still had a crap personality. Both of them died by way of the Brine. Pawn 1 was being ultra aggressive and fell off the cliff fighting too close to the edge. The other was my fault as I meant to tell the group to wait for me. Sadly pawn 2 couldn't make the small jump across a thin body of water and thats that. I've still barely touched the main story. Most of my time is spent completing random npc quest and trying to run away from fights I don't stand a chance in.

Think when I hop on this weekend I'm going to see if my first two hired pawns have been leveled up at all. Get the old band back together.

jrnlgrn 04-07-2024 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a team photo pawns to the left and right are the hired ones. Wish the photo mode had a freely moving camera. They'll be good for a few more levels but will have to get replaced soon. My main pawn has been on a few adventures beyond the rift so far. The pawns having adventures without is such a cool feature.Attachment 211278

rudyjuly2 04-07-2024 07:04 PM

What’s cool is my 17 yo daughter has gotten hooked on the game. Maybe because we are friends but she got my Main Pawn right away! She was level 23 at the time and helped her a lot. I thought it was hilarious how she was talking about Kassandra the Pawn Fighter and I’m like that’s my pawn!

rudyjuly2 04-07-2024 07:09 PM

Not a fan of stealth missions and this game punishes you with a trip to the jail if you can’t escape. I finally completed the mission where I had to escort Wahldar out of jail. I thought it was bugged because he want in his cell. On one attempt I got busted he apparently died in the mayhem. I had to go to the morgue and revive him with a wake stone in order to complete the mission. (Why he ran back to jail for me to finish is another question).

Gotmadskillzson 04-08-2024 02:39 AM

I think that mission is bugged. For me he would never follow me. Instead he just stood outside his cell the entire time. I picked him up and carried him outside.

Gotmadskillzson 04-09-2024 02:17 AM

I had a funny exchange with one of my pawns tonight. Now normally if I know an area is crawling with high level enemies, aka the southwest region of the map, at times I will simply run through said area. Now tonight was way more packed than it normally be. At times it would be 2 cyclops, a giant bird, a handful of goblins and a hand full of wolves all in the same area. Like it was weird. So I was like no way I can handle all of them at once, so I ran through trying to make it back to the city of Batatthal. One of my pawns yelled, good lord master you are an impatient one, must we run everywhere we go, my feet are tired !

I LOL'ed.

DocHolliday 04-19-2024 12:27 PM

Fun game but getting bogged down with the city stealth and fetch quests was a downer. Stay in your lane we want to kill stuff not do fetch quests and half assed stealth missions for 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

rudyjuly2 04-19-2024 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHolliday (Post 2050907617)
Fun game but getting bogged down with the city stealth and fetch quests was a downer. Stay in your lane we want to kill stuff not do fetch quests and half assed stealth missions for 4 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

So true. The worst thing about the game are the main quests and weak story. Just screwing around, kicking *** and leveling up with a merry group of pawns is the highlight of it. I like sassy pawns and not butt lickers.