Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   MLB The Show (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=515)
-   -   MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread (/forums/showthread.php?t=1017222)

countryboy 02-15-2024 08:22 AM

MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

I thought maybe we could have a dedicated thread for the discussion on the graphics of the MLB The Show series to prevent other threads on various topics from being reduced to a back and forth on graphics.

GridironGreat 02-15-2024 08:25 AM

Re: MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboy (Post 2050879972)
I thought maybe we could have a dedicated thread for the discussion of the graphics of the MLB The Show series to prevent other threads on various topics from being reduced to a back and forth on graphics.

Pretty sure we all know it’s LONG overdue. Just off the top of my head, real 3d textured grass, dirt, realistic cloth uniforms, and overall a haul of the animation system.

LegendKillerOne 02-15-2024 08:32 AM

I feel I have made my stance clear I am sure in other threads. I am fine with the graphics (Minus the really bad Brett Baty scan) but I am sure they can improve them as many others stated. Not sure my eyes would notice though.

Kramer5150 02-15-2024 08:36 AM

Already posted my thought, never had any intentions of going "back and forth", but it is what it is...

I_HATE_THAT_DUDE 02-15-2024 08:37 AM

The best jersey graphics was 2k! I love how you could make them baggy/loose and they'd actually move with the wind and when guys ran. Definitely overdue with the new hardware.

Sent from my SM-S908W using Tapatalk

marbury 02-15-2024 09:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I'm just wondering and being disappointed that SDS isn't using up to date technology these days like scanning faces as you can see in the screens below.

This Konami guy was using some kind of flashlight to scan Shohei. No need for multiple cameras to create a special scanning booth once a year at spring training. For sure the scan is not final and there is still some work to do as you can see at the back of the head. But I guess updating face scan should be more easy this way.

Another topic is the technology of 2K and EA were they scan animation off screen and don't need to do motion captures to add unique animations. This would be a game changer especially for pitching animations. As we all know in MLBTS the pitching has no real power motion the animations.

The graphic engine itself is outdated. I doubt there will be any changes at all in this area. Not in this console generation sadly. Attachment 210297Attachment 210298Attachment 210299Attachment 210300Attachment 210301

baconbits11 02-15-2024 09:34 AM

I'd be happy with the cloth physics and wind effects from MLB 2K7. Along with the stadium exteriors from that game. In fact if it had the gameplay of the Show, I might still be playing MLB 2K7.

Totfc773 02-15-2024 10:35 AM

One of my issues is that they haven’t updated graphics in a very long time, but my main gripe is that they won’t even address it. They see the outcry across multiple forums/social media platforms, and seemingly choose to ignore it. As if they don’t care about this particular aspect.

tinpanalley 02-15-2024 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconbits11 (Post 2050879993)
I'd be happy with the cloth physics and wind effects from MLB 2K7. Along with the stadium exteriors from that game. In fact if it had the gameplay of the Show, I might still be playing MLB 2K7.

Every year I find some rosters for 2K12 being updated for PC and it's always better than The Show. As far as graphics are concerned I'd have been happy with The Show staying right where it was in the PS3 days and where the gameplay was too. If I'm being really honest, I don't think the game has been really fun since PS2.
But those 2K games were amazing, if faulty at times. From about 2K10 they got it figured out enough but those days The Show was a better game.

dbekoscke 02-15-2024 12:02 PM

Guess I'll repost my thoughts from the other thread (long post, sorry):

I agree with the general consensus in this thread about the graphics. It's basically been a 4K upscaled version of the PS4 graphics that we've seen for years now.

I play on a 4k monitor at 120hz... so gameplay is smooth, but the graphics are not up to par with what should be achievable on current gen consoles. Personally, I would gladly trade 4k/120hz for a big graphical upgrade running at 4k/60hz.

I understand that some think that the graphics are fine and even great looking as they are, and there is nothing wrong with saying that at all. But I think we all have to admit that if you take a step back and analyze how this game has looked for several years now, and compare it with other current gen games, you see the disconnect and the faults.

I'll be the very first to say that this 9th generation of consoles have been very, very slow to move on from the previous generation across the board. I think much of this has to do with development companies (and publishers) pursuing the largest install base of every platform on the market. Also, pushing cross platform play (looking at you Xbox Series S) and cross generation online play does not help.

I get that dev companies and their publishers don't want to give up the install base of the previous generation, but never before has a jump from one generation to the next been soooooooooo painstakingly slow to see any concrete generational leaps. It's made me regret jumping to a PS5 so soon.

But bringing it back to SDS specifically, I do not see this game series' graphics improving until they are finally able to break ties with Switch, PS4, and Xbox One. This probably has much to do with MLB wanting this game's release on as many platforms as possible.

At this point, I have my fingers crossed that MLBTS25 is the year we finally have a true jump to current gen graphics/engine (and 8th gen consoles are set to rest). And I also hope that SDS has been able to spend a good chunk of time during this past year's dev cycle, and will continue during the upcoming dev cycle, building out this true current gen upgrade.

Truthfully, I'm unsure if the MLBTS engine (as it is now) can support a true generational leap or not, so this could be another matter entirely. Could it be that SDS is hamstrung by their engine, or has reached it's limits? None of us truly know, but we do know that game engine drive game development. Each engine has its limits. As game engines become more and more advanced, this is where we see continued graphical upgrades (think Unreal Engine 5). Could it be time that SDS needs to upgrade their game engine or move on to something like UE5?

Unfortunately, time will tell what changes (or doesn't) with this game series. But I hope we as baseball fans and MLBTS fans can enjoy this game as it is now, because I think many of us still think this is the best sports game around.

breakfastcat 02-15-2024 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baconbits11 (Post 2050879993)

You know it's bad when we are pining for graphical features that were in a game from SEVENTEEN YEARS AGO.

How has something like this not been brought in and perfected by now with exponentially more advanced technology? That added so much to the atmosphere seeing the uniforms jostle in the wind. It would do wonders to address how flat and sterile the game's current art direction is.

MLB14 02-15-2024 12:04 PM

The graphics overall are OK to me but not up to the industry standard. They need to port the game to a new engine. I don't imagine that being easy at all, so maybe they're in the process of doin that.

[emoji336] mobile device

JDL375 02-15-2024 12:09 PM

There is no excuse for PS4 and PS5 graphics to be identical. Bottom line. PS5 should look better, but we are going into the 4th year on PS5, and both PS4 and PS5 games will likely have the same graphics again.

It’s embarrassing for SDS that they’ve done so little to take advantage of the PS5 besides adding stadium creator which is somewhat of a niche gimmick.

We saw a HUGE graphical upgrade in The Show 17 which was the 4th year on PS4, but it doesn’t look like we are in store for such an upgrade going into the 4th year of PS5, unfortunately.

Might be PS6 before this game looks different.

Douevenbench913 02-15-2024 12:15 PM

I think they are too loyal to their graphics department. They may simply not have the tools/skill to take advantage of the ps5.

breakfastcat 02-15-2024 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLB14 (Post 2050880049)
The graphics overall are OK to me but not up to the industry standard. They need to port the game to a new engine. I don't imagine that being easy at all, so maybe they're in the process of doin that.

[emoji336] mobile device

I always hesitate to say they need to move to a new engine because that could seriously mess up the pristine gameplay they have nearly perfected. They would need to completely rewrite the entire system. Not saying it'd be impossible but unless its something they've been secretly working on for the past 4 years, I don't see a way they can move to a new engine without creating a ton of problems in the way the game plays. And as much as I want to see a graphics overhaul, I don't think I'd be willing to get it at the expense of the already stellar gameplay.

Otis1kanobe 02-15-2024 12:20 PM

How about some new player models??

Lisac 02-15-2024 12:54 PM

All you have to do is Pop in Madden or Soccer and you can see how far behind SCEA is in the Player Model and field texture

MLB14 02-15-2024 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakfastcat (Post 2050880058)
I always hesitate to say they need to move to a new engine because that could seriously mess up the pristine gameplay they have nearly perfected. They would need to completely rewrite the entire system. Not saying it'd be impossible but unless its something they've been secretly working on for the past 4 years, I don't see a way they can move to a new engine without creating a ton of problems in the way the game plays. And as much as I want to see a graphics overhaul, I don't think I'd be willing to get it at the expense of the already stellar gameplay.

They'd have to take their time and do it over a few years. Hopefully they started doin it years ago. They have to be aware their current game engine is limiting, especially graphically.

[emoji336] mobile device

Baseball Purist 02-15-2024 01:00 PM

You would like to think this would be the year we would at least get some updates to the uniforms, as Nike/Fanatics have changed (ruined) the design of all teams uniforms.

I won’t be holding my breath for the update to make it to the game. As Marlins park (Loan Depot) and I believe the Diamondbacks, hasn’t been updated to the synthetic turf they changed to years ago.

Ghost Of The Year 02-15-2024 01:11 PM

I've seen it asked about here (OS] before, and a color wheel would be great instead of going with the preset colors to choose from.

LegendKillerOne 02-15-2024 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MLB14 (Post 2050880074)
They'd have to take their time and do it over a few years. Hopefully they started doin it years ago. They have to be aware their current game engine is limiting, especially graphically.

[emoji336] mobile device

Sony just announced that the PS5 is in the latter stages of its life span. Many saying 2027 for ps6, If it takes that long to get ready maybe they best just make the upgrades for ps6 rather than come out with a year or two left in ps5 and then we wait years into ps6.

Kramer5150 02-15-2024 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbekoscke (Post 2050880045)
Also, pushing cross platform play (looking at you Xbox Series S) and cross generation online play does not help.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the Xbox series S is definitely NOT the reason the graphics are sub par, one would need to look no further than the game still releasing on last gen consoles including the Switch.

Take last gen out of the picture and just develop for this gen of consoles and you would more than likely get the graphical updates...hell Madden did it, basically release 24 as nothing but a roster update, so not sure why The Show can't do the same...unless there was something involved with MLB and the porting process stating that the game HAS to stay on last gen as well...:nocomprende:

breakfastcat 02-15-2024 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne (Post 2050880092)
Sony just announced that the PS5 is in the latter stages of its life span. Many saying 2027 for ps6, If it takes that long to get ready maybe they best just make the upgrades for ps6 rather than come out with a year or two left in ps5 and then we wait years into ps6.

I know this is beside the point you are making, but to me the fact that we're entering the "latter stages" of the PS5's lifespan and the game still looks like a decent-but-not-amazing PS4 game is exactly the problem.

Playboy™ 02-15-2024 01:56 PM

I only play sport games and it sucks that I have skipped out on the last 2 versions of MLB The show because I’m tired of playing the same looking game. In my case I don’t care about stadium creator, I used it maybe two times at most. I love the gameplay but it needs to stop looking like a ps3 game. I own a 4k/120 monitor and TV, and this is def the worse looking game on there. This game feels like and upscale 4k PS3 or ps4 game. It bothers me that they don’t care to invest in a new game engine. For that they should have just stayed only on PS4 in my opinion. This isn’t a next gen game compared to the other sporting games. I really wish Konami gave MLB The show some competition, it’s not a mistake when 2k competed with MLB The Show they cared about having better gameplay and graphics. Competition would make them invest and wanna be better.

breakfastcat 02-15-2024 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kramer5150 (Post 2050880102)
Unless I'm misunderstanding, the Xbox series S is definitely NOT the reason the graphics are sub par, one would need to look no further than the game still releasing on last gen consoles including the Switch.

Take last gen out of the picture and just develop for this gen of consoles and you would more than likely get the graphical updates...hell Madden did it, basically release 24 as nothing but a roster update, so not sure why The Show can't do the same...unless there was something involved with MLB and the porting process stating that the game HAS to stay on last gen as well...:nocomprende:

I don't think the problem is that they are still making last-gen versions of the game. I think the issue is that they choose to continue to make online play compatible between current and last gen. If they ended cross-gen compatibility then there's no reason they can't just pump out a roster update for PS4/XB1/Switch and focus solely on the current generation, but for now they want every version to be the same because apparently their main focus is on online play.

dubcity 02-15-2024 02:07 PM

It's crazy how a game can be considered so ahead of its time one gen, then two gens later it feels way behind.

My personal thing has always been the color of the grass. I don't know if they think by making it a more deep and vibrant green it will somehow mess up the overall color profile of the game, but it's just disappointing to me. The faded 1970s astroturf thing kills it for me.

LastActionHero 02-15-2024 04:01 PM

I think besides 4k resolution and smoother framerate the only thing the PS5 added graphically to the Show were flying birds [emoji23]

desouza7 02-15-2024 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisac (Post 2050880073)
All you have to do is Pop in Madden or Soccer and you can see how far behind SCEA is in the Player Model and field texture

And yet if you talk to anyone that plays either Madden or EAFC, they will tell you how terrible both of those games now play compared to where they were 5-10 years ago. EAFC especially is probably the worst FIFA/EAFC in years (maybe ever), and much of this stemmed towards the move to the new engine.

I also want better graphics, but I’d take the better gameplay over drastic graphic improvements if that had to be the case. I’d like them to take a cautious approach to not impact how great the game has played for the last several years.

Stroehms 02-15-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

You know it's bad when we want our game to be like Madden.

PDibby23 02-15-2024 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totfc773 (Post 2050880006)
One of my issues is that they haven’t updated graphics in a very long time, but my main gripe is that they won’t even address it. They see the outcry across multiple forums/social media platforms, and seemingly choose to ignore it. As if they don’t care about this particular aspect.

This is what I said in one of the other posts and some people tried to give me grief for asking to hear from Ramone on this issue.

Totfc773 02-15-2024 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDibby23 (Post 2050880182)
This is what I said in one of the other posts and some people tried to give me grief for asking to hear from Ramone on this issue.

That’s really the absolute least they can do is publicly address the concern. Not doing so tells you all you need to know about how much they care.

Ghost Of The Year 02-15-2024 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totfc773 (Post 2050880006)

This is how you realize they don't value that outcry as highly as you. Sometimes the only meaningful way to affect change is voting with your wallet. If all the people who truly believed in the cause spent their resources elsewhere, then change would come about. Making a loud and vocal outcry in one breath, and then with the very next breath buy that product anyway, is counterproductive to their cause. Now, having said that, I'm with the silent majority who is fine if the graphics continue to stay where they are, even if that's the way graphics will look on a PS6, 7, 8, and 9.

Lisac 02-15-2024 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroehms (Post 2050880178)

Never said we want it to be like Madden

Ghost Of The Year 02-15-2024 05:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stroehms (Post 2050880178)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisac (Post 2050880209)
Never said we want it to be like Madden

What I understood it to mean is we want it to not be behind Madden in regards to Player Models and field texture, but be as good as Madden in Player Models and field texture.

Ghost Of The Year 02-15-2024 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year (Post 2050880214)
What I understood it to mean is we want it to not be behind Madden in regards to Player Models and field texture, but be as good as Madden in Player Models and field texture.

joshtree14 02-15-2024 06:57 PM

I blame lack of competent competition. If there was a rival mlb franchise, I would bet my house that mlb the show 24 wouldn’t look this dated

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Ghost Of The Year 02-15-2024 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshtree14 (Post 2050880267)
I blame lack of competent competition. If there was a rival mlb franchise, I would bet my house that mlb the show 24 wouldn’t look this dated

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

In retrospect, we should have given more support to MLB2K. Which I did for 4 years. But really, even 2K wasn't competent competition for the Show. Too bad EA never went toe-to-toe with the Show. That would have been like a Tyson-Ali matchup.

Totfc773 02-15-2024 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year (Post 2050880206)
This is how you realize they don't value that outcry as highly as you. Sometimes the only meaningful way to affect change is voting with your wallet. If all the people who truly believed in the cause spent their resources elsewhere, then change would come about. Making a loud and vocal outcry in one breath, and then with the very next breath buy that product anyway, is counterproductive to their cause. Now, having said that, I'm with the silent majority who is fine if the graphics continue to stay where they are, even if that's the way graphics will look on a PS6, 7, 8, and 9.

I didnt buy last year, and will not buy this year. I am still going to voice my opinion though.

Ghost Of The Year 02-15-2024 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Totfc773 (Post 2050880289)
I didnt buy last year, and will not buy this year.

That's the smart move.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Totfc773
I am still going to voice my opinion though.

But this however won't do anything but make you feel better.

breakfastcat 02-15-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year (Post 2050880295)

But this however won't do anything but make you feel better.

You don't think SDS takes any feedback into consideration?