Operation Sports Forums

Operation Sports Forums (/forums/index.php)
-   Golf (/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC) (/forums/showthread.php?t=1011493)

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:14 AM

EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

Wanted to separate out the comments for anyone playing on the PC specifically.

For me, it's unplayable on PC.
(I play 4k/30fps on MSFS 2020 on this, for reference)

I've only been even trying PGA at 1080p.

Both turned all the way up (60fps maxed) and all the way down (30fps, all settings on bare min) and it's simply "not smooth" -- the settings don't honestly seem to impact much -- it's always the same amount of "not smooth".

The game engine feels overloaded or something

Curious to hear others performance on PC experience.

As it is now, I can't play it on PC and even attempt to flesh out my enjoyment overall.

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:19 AM

Re: EA PGA TOUR - PC Specific Thoughts

Even the flyovers and cutscenes and not smooth

So so bizarre

Never seen such borked/half baked performance from a new title like this.

I think this bun needed more time in the oven

fsufan4423 04-03-2023 11:21 AM

I only ask, cause so many different setups...whats your PC specs? I wouldn't think 4K 30 would be smooth anyway.

I have a 4090 and would hope it would do 4K 120 easily.

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsufan4423 (Post 2050754521)
I only ask, cause so many different setups...whats your PC specs? I wouldn't think 4K 30 would be smooth anyway.

I have a 4090 and would hope it would do 4K 120 easily.

8700k & 6800 XT - 32GB Ram - NVMe all the way

The game isn't smooth at 60 or 30 -- on any settings (even dead lowest) -- for me

The cutscenes and transitions between movies/holes have chop

You'll see -- it's not your rig -- it's the game code and engine

I'm well above their recommended specs and it's not smooth at 1080p/60 (or any other setting)

fsufan4423 04-03-2023 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754527)
8700k & 6800 XT

The game isn't smooth at 60 or 30 -- on any settings (even dead lowest) -- for me

The cutscenes and transitions between movies/holes have chop

You'll see -- it's not your rig -- it's the game code and engine

Cool, thanks. I won't be able to play until after work. Looking forward to more of your impressions

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsufan4423 (Post 2050754529)
Cool, thanks. I won't be able to play until after work. Looking forward to more of your impressions

I'm going to have to switch my demo to PS5.
I don't enjoy the chop on PC -- to the point where I'm done testing there for now.

What's paired with your GPU?

Maybe a super computer (CPU specifically) will be of great help here

I can say that their "min specs" are laughable

Ronoko 04-03-2023 11:30 AM

Unfortunately, this will be hammered on steam reviews because of the performance. Not sure they can improve it that much in time. It's quite obvious why settings are lower on consoles and why it's only next-gen.

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronoko (Post 2050754538)
Unfortunately, this will be hammered on steam reviews because of the performance. Not sure they can improve it that much in time. It's quite obvious why settings are lower on consoles and why it's only next-gen.

It should be hammered

No excuse for 1080p/30 -- all graphics settings on minimum, and it's not smooth

...on a PC that plays MSFS 2020 at 4k/30, medium-high settings -- smooth

fsufan4423 04-03-2023 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754532)
I'm going to have to switch my demo to PS5.
I don't enjoy the chop on PC -- to the point where I'm done testing there for now.

What's paired with your GPU?

Maybe a super computer (CPU specifically) will be of great help here

I can say that their "min specs" are laughable

4090 5950X with 64 gigs of ram.

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsufan4423 (Post 2050754543)
4090 5950X with 64 gigs of ram.

If it's not smooth for you -- it never will be.

(my money is on the latter)

woody2goody 04-03-2023 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754540)
It should be hammered

No excuse for 1080p/30 -- all graphics settings on minimum, and it's not smooth

...on a PC that plays MSFS 2020 at 4k/30, medium-high settings -- smooth

This is pretty worrying. PC was my backup plan if I couldn't cope with 30fps on PS5, but it sounds like that could be DOA. Every other EA game I've played on PC is buttery smooth

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woody2goody (Post 2050754557)
This is pretty worrying. PC was my backup plan if I couldn't cope with 30fps on PS5, but it sounds like that could be DOA. Every other EA game I've played on PC is buttery smooth

Same - No problem with FIFA on this same PC, at really any settings.

woody2goody 04-03-2023 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754565)
Same - No problem with FIFA on this same PC, at really any settings.

Played fifa 21 on it, was getting 144fps easily. Madden 22 was very smooth on there too.

2k as well, NBA and PGA are beautiful on my machine and it's only probably a mid-range PC in 2023.

Do you think it is something that could be patched?

Brucie 04-03-2023 11:46 AM

I did see there are graphics settings to shut off, like Bloom, Crowds, Grass Quality, etc. I shut them all off and it made a difference for sure, but my player is now a blurry blob, so I'll have to go back in and re-adjust lol.

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucie (Post 2050754574)
I did see there are graphics settings to shut off, like Bloom, Crowds, Grass Quality, etc. I shut them all off and it made a difference for sure, but my player is now a blurry blob, so I'll have to go back in and re-adjust lol.

There might be a bug

I've tried shutting down all the settings, saving it .. and restarting the game (required for some of the texture changes) -- and it's coming back looking like nothing changed (despite the settings indicating I was all turned down)

Ronoko 04-03-2023 11:50 AM

I don't think the graphics are very impressive on FIFA to be honest, compared to other 4K PC games at high settings anyway. Madden is not even current-gen on PCs. So they shouldn't be that demanding.

This is the best-looking Frostbite game I've seen yet.

scagwi 04-03-2023 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronoko (Post 2050754579)
I don't think the graphics are very impressive on FIFA to be honest, compared to other 4K PC games at high settings anyway. Madden is not even current-gen on PCs. So they shouldn't be that demanding.

This is the best-looking Frostbite game I've seen yet.

For me, looks won't matter if it can't be made to be smooth

Ronoko 04-03-2023 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754582)
For me, looks won't matter if it can't be made to be smooth

It depends. Flight Simulator framerate is rarely smooth for me but the level of detail in the visuals makes me not care.

SituationSoap 04-03-2023 12:35 PM

I am somewhat skeptical of a single performance report from someone with a 6 year old CPU, with no information about what kind of RAM they're running.

Could be that the game has lots of optimization problems, but in PC gaming terms, that box is a little long in the tooth. It's also possible that the 6c/12t 8700K is experiencing threading issues because the game is expecting 16 logical threads.

oasis90 04-03-2023 12:51 PM

Pretty sure there is something wrong with PC version atm. I tried both PC (5800x, Nvidia 3080, 2560x1440 240hz G Sync monitor) and PS5 (in a 65 LG Cx) and to me it’s like playing two different games. Graphically speaking PS5 version is absolutely better, way more clear and detailed.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

sawicki 04-03-2023 12:55 PM

PC version looks stunning and plays smooth maxed out for me. I need to play a few holes before I give impressions. Seems to be conflicting hardware issues with some.ppl. I belive hogwarts had the same issues on pc

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SituationSoap (Post 2050754632)
I am somewhat skeptical of a single performance report from someone with a 6 year old CPU, with no information about what kind of RAM they're running.

Could be that the game has lots of optimization problems, but in PC gaming terms, that box is a little long in the tooth. It's also possible that the 6c/12t 8700K is experiencing threading issues because the game is expecting 16 logical threads.

Umm - I'm above the recommended EA specs, you do realize that right?

lol

Anyways - doesn't matter
Played a round on PS5 - no issues of performance

It Rory 23 with more content and a graphics bump - I'm out.
Very happy I got the $1 demo with EA Play

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:10 PM

Anyone on PC -- you really owe it yourself to unplug your controller and try a few shots with that "keyboard swing"

Please do report back with thoughts ..

SituationSoap 04-03-2023 01:11 PM

Being above or below the "recommended" specs and saying that you're seeing stuttering can come from any number of different sources. It could be that you don't have the recommended amount of RAM (note that it's 12GB). It could be that you're using DDR 2400 RAM and the CPU is starved. It could be that you're short the requisite number of threads (something I noted above). The 8700K is faster in terms of single-threaded speed than the Ryzen 2700K, but has 4 fewer logical threads.

It could also be something like AMD's drivers on the GPU side need an optimization patch and it'll be fine once a new driver drops.

The point is that saying that you play 4K30 on MSFS (a wildly different game) is not a useful anchoring point for determining what people should expect in terms of performance on their personal machines.

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SituationSoap (Post 2050754674)
Being above or below the "recommended" specs and saying that you're seeing stuttering can come from any number of different sources. It could be that you don't have the recommended amount of RAM (note that it's 12GB). It could be that you're using DDR 2400 RAM and the CPU is starved. It could be that you're short the requisite number of threads (something I noted above). The 8700K is faster in terms of single-threaded speed than the Ryzen 2700K, but has 4 fewer logical threads.

It could also be something like AMD's drivers on the GPU side need an optimization patch and it'll be fine once a new driver drops.

The point is that saying that you play 4K30 on MSFS (a wildly different game) is not a useful anchoring point for determining what people should expect in terms of performance on their personal machines.

I turned everything down to bare minimum -- all graphics settings to lowest and 1080p/30fps locked -- not smooth for me

I mean -- c'mon

OnlookerDelay 04-03-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754514)
Wanted to separate out the comments for anyone playing on the PC specifically.

For me, it's unplayable on PC.
(I play 4k/30fps on MSFS 2020 on this, for reference)

I've only been even trying PGA at 1080p.

Both turned all the way up (60fps maxed) and all the way down (30fps, all settings on bare min) and it's simply "not smooth" -- the settings don't honestly seem to impact much -- it's always the same amount of "not smooth".

The game engine feels overloaded or something

Curious to hear others performance on PC experience.

As it is now, I can't play it on PC and even attempt to flesh out my enjoyment overall.

I'm glad you started this thread. I wish I could contribute to it as PC player, but I bricked my PC when I tried to install a new CPU in it. It wasn't properly seated in the socket and when I put the clamp on it it squeezed it at an angle that caused some of the pins to get bent beyond repair in the base. That's why my presence here has been minimal... I hate typing on a cell phone key pad!

You've already confirmed one of my fears about the game from playing on the XBox version this AM. It feels like playing underwater to me. In its current state, I don't know that the swing would feel that much more alive at 60 fps than it does at 30.

I want to read your thoughts about the swing after you've had more of a chance to play it at 60 FPS with the best difficulty settings you like.

pokerlife 04-03-2023 01:19 PM

is the mouse and keyboard swing a lot better than console? Do you feel more in control of the swing?

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay (Post 2050754689)
I'm glad you started this thread. I wish I could contribute to it as PC player, but I bricked my PC when I tried to install a new CPU in it. It wasn't properly seated in the socket and when I put the clamp on it it squeezed it at an angle that caused some of the pins to get bent beyond repair in the base. That's why my presence here has been minimal... I hate typing on a cell phone key pad!

You've already confirmed one of my fears about the game from playing on the XBox version this AM. It feels like playing underwater to me. In its current state, I don't know that the swing would feel that much more alive at 60 fps than it does at 30.

I want to read your thoughts about the swing after you've had more of a chance to play it at 60 FPS with the best difficulty settings you like.

JC -- It's so much like playing Rory, but somehow more sluggish and slow feeling.
I really doubt you're going to take to it

(love to be wrong! Want people to find enjoyment!)

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerlife (Post 2050754691)
is the mouse and keyboard swing a lot better than console? Do you feel more in control of the swing?

lol - "no"

The keyboard swing is the weirdest thing I've seen in a golf game

TheBleedingRed21 04-03-2023 01:22 PM

I have a GTX 1080 and i7-9700K with 32GB ram. Seems fairly smooth to me. Getting around 75FPS on 1440p. Everything is on HIGH except shadows at medium as shadows demand a lot.

There are some dips when ball first takes flight which is weird. But everything else is fine so far. Initally had stutter on gameplay swipes in between holes, but after a quick restart, its fine.

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21 (Post 2050754696)
I have a GTX 1080 and i7-9700K with 32GB ram. Seems fairly smooth to me. Getting around 75FPS on 1440p. Everything is on HIGH except shadows at medium as shadows demand a lot.

There are some dips when ball first takes flight which is weird. But everything else is fine so far. Initally had stutter on gameplay swipes in between holes, but after a quick restart, its fine.

Could be issues with AMD drivers
Wouldn't be the first time
I'm definitely not alone on PC with some issues, as reddit and the FB group can attest to.

Been demoing on PS5 which is accomplishing all I need anyhow

pokerlife 04-03-2023 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754699)
Could be issues with AMD drivers
Wouldn't be the first time
I'm definitely not alone on PC with some issues, as reddit and the FB group can attest to.

Been demoing on PS5 which is accomplishing all I need anyhow

I have a 2070 super and tried on PC first thing this morning. Kept getting a red screen and distorted graphics and some weird error.. All my other PC games work fine.

scagwi 04-03-2023 01:43 PM

Seeing folks discovering the "keyboard swing" and their reactions to it...
...Is really entertaining.

This is from EA forum

SituationSoap 04-03-2023 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scagwi (Post 2050754677)
I turned everything down to bare minimum -- all graphics settings to lowest and 1080p/30fps locked -- not smooth for me

I mean -- c'mon

I feel like you're not reading what I'm writing. There are potential causes for stuttering on your PC that would be irrelevant to the graphical settings that you're doing. If the bottleneck is not your GPU, setting the game to 640x480 at 30 FPS wouldn't make a difference, because the problem isn't the resolution or the settings you're choosing. If the problem is that the game is expecting a 16-thread CPU and you're only giving it a 12-thread CPU, you're going to experience stuttering regardless of what other settings you change. If the problem is that the game requires 12GB of RAM to deal with what it's loading, if you only have 8GB of RAM, you're going to get stuttering no matter what you do. If the problem is that AMD's drivers aren't playing well with the game, you're going to get stuttering no matter what you do.

It could also be that the game is very poorly optimized and won't play well no matter what happens.

But when it comes to PC gaming there are a lot of variables that are in play and your attitude thus far has been one of a profound rejection of curiosity, making up your mind that the problem is with the PC port and tossing any idea that the problem could be in a configuration that regardless of your insistence, doesn't strictly meet the recommended requirements.

scagwi 04-03-2023 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SituationSoap (Post 2050754751)
I feel like you're not reading what I'm writing. There are potential causes for stuttering on your PC that would be irrelevant to the graphical settings that you're doing. If the bottleneck is not your GPU, setting the game to 640x480 at 30 FPS wouldn't make a difference, because the problem isn't the resolution or the settings you're choosing. If the problem is that the game is expecting a 16-thread CPU and you're only giving it a 12-thread CPU, you're going to experience stuttering regardless of what other settings you change. If the problem is that the game requires 12GB of RAM to deal with what it's loading, if you only have 8GB of RAM, you're going to get stuttering no matter what you do. If the problem is that AMD's drivers aren't playing well with the game, you're going to get stuttering no matter what you do.

It could also be that the game is very poorly optimized and won't play well no matter what happens.

But when it comes to PC gaming there are a lot of variables that are in play and your attitude thus far has been one of a profound rejection of curiosity, making up your mind that the problem is with the PC port and tossing any idea that the problem could be in a configuration that regardless of your insistence, doesn't strictly meet the recommended requirements.

Got it
I'm not new to PC gaming

I have no trouble running anything other than this game
Hopefully it's drivers or something EA can patch (if it's on their side)

I'm not alone here -- internet is full of people with various PC issues.

Thadeus 04-03-2023 02:50 PM

I have a 4090 with an i9 processor, and the game runs great for me with everything set to ultra/high. I love the game so far.

scagwi 04-03-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeus (Post 2050754801)
I have a 4090 with an i9 processor, and the game runs great for me with everything set to ultra/high. I love the game so far.

It’d be fun to see some YouTubers running the min and also recommend specs from EA …and testing that

(Won’t go well)

CujoMatty 04-03-2023 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thadeus (Post 2050754801)

Me too except a 4080. Silky smooth and gorgeous.

sawicki 04-03-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CujoMatty (Post 2050754819)
Me too except a 4080. Silky smooth and gorgeous.

same with 3090 and 3900xt

iztrumental 04-03-2023 05:20 PM

4090, 13700k, 32gb ram and of course the game runs like butter for me for the most part. There's some hiccups, stutters and framerate spikes so I'd say the game either is poorly optimized and/or needs a day one patch and/or new drivers (no pun intended). With that said, the game to me looks amazing. I guess some may subjectively think the graphics are meh but with my setup, this feels like a true next-gen game.

This just makes me wish EA would bring all their sports games on PC. Hopefully Madden 24 will be current-gen version and NHL makes it comeback to PC as well. Maybe we'll also get NCAA Football on PC.