Home

You know what really grinds my gears?

This is a discussion on You know what really grinds my gears? within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #24145

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: You know what really grinds my gears?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
or smoke alarms from another apartment in your building, you don't know if it's legit or not, do you gather all your valuables and execute the fire drill, or did someone just have a little smoke while cooking

I panic every time
Somewhat related, but I feel that way about car alarms (at least during the day)

Anytime I hear an alarm, I just assume someone accidentally pressed the button (or their kids did). But you only bother to look around if you hear it for a long enough time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2023, 01:04 AM   #24146
Heyoka.

EUBlink's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
**** bees
they make us think they're important with their pollination BS, but they're evil
This made me laugh, and I'm not laughing at you personally. I get it. For those allergic to bees or those that have had bad experiences with bees previously, it's hard to explain to them how peaceful and almost docile honey bees are.

Most people that hate bees for their aggression either are mistaking yellowjackets or other wasps for bees or they've done something at some time to irritate an individual bee or, worse, a hive, and have gotten a sour memory out of it.

I work honey with my uncle and have for several years. We have approximately two hundred hives in a radius covering a portion of two states. We care for them, and believe it or not, they almost always know us when we're there. If they don't, then something is usually wrong.

I haven't worn any keeper protection in nearly two years, aside from sometimes wearing gloves when I have to remove the bottom boards from the hives to inspect for mites, which can significantly diminish a colony. Sometimes when working around that area, the drone bees (males) that have mites will act out of character due to the stress their bodies are under from the mites. These drones will react to my touch if I'm not quick enough. I may have a few spots on my arm or both arms, but typically the gloves catch everything should I irritate any already-irritated drones.

When I'm working at our main facility where we harvest the honey, it isn't uncommon for me to have bees crawling anywhere they please why I'm working... my arms and hands, my head, they'll even crawl into my ear or at least try to and I learned early on to keep my mouth closed at all times. They are inquisitive creatures and, though intelligent beyond our understanding, they don't make the best decisions as far as where they want to fly/climb/walk around and explore.

Side note, if you all don't know this already... if you're going to buy honey for its nutritional value as far as fending off allergies, don't waste your money at the supermarket or chain grocery stores. Find a local beekeeper/honey farmer and buy your honey there instead. That honey will likely be less filtered or at the very least, more recently filtered, therefore giving you the benefits of the local pollen being in your honey and helping you fend off allergies to that mix of pollen for your area. Also, if the honey you're looking at buying is gold and more syrupy than you would imagine it should be and/or there is considerable amount of "clear" to the see-through of the honey itself, buy elsewhere. Those are characteristics of honey that has been filtered so much that it has lost nearly all of its health benefits.

Annnnnd sorry for this novel.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:15 PM   #24147
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Wife and I pulled into one of our local breweries and as we were walking in some guy walks up to me and says “nice car, how much did that cost you? Who does that?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Good movie btw. It's not a Christopher Nolan movie or anything but it's casual and funny.

Last edited by AUChase; 05-04-2023 at 02:26 PM.
Old 05-10-2023, 10:06 AM   #24148
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21

Did hours and hours of research for a new car and still came away with what is probably considered a below average deal. Totally my fault. It's a Toyota Highlander though so in theory it should last us 10+ years and in the end not be that big of a deal.

So I grind my own gears by being an idiot.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:33 AM   #24149
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

I'm a 20%+ tipper even if the service isn't great at a restaurant. I think It's closer to 25% for me when I get a haircut but I'm tired of being asked to tip for things that aren't really customarily tipped on, especially when you don't really know if the money is going directly to the employee.

I recently saw it described as "emotional blackmail" and I think that is a perfect way to summarize it. You have some employee who you know is having a tough day at work spinning a pad around at you and you're met with an additional option for pre calculated 10, 15, 20, etc. percent tips.

Does it make me a bad person to be tired of this?

I also hate how these companies the size of Walmart will go ahead and donate money on the front end to something like hurricane relief and then try to recoup the money on the back end by doing the same thing to shoppers.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:24 AM   #24150
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
You know what really grinds my gears?

I’m like you, I’ll tip well no matter what and often for services that don’t generally get tipped regularly (takeout counter). But yeah, some of these you gotta just click through and not feel bad. I can’t tip everyone for everything, lol. I think it’s a case of if they don’t ask, people won’t. But anyone who expects a tip for a non-traditional tipped service is out of line. Those are the type of people who will complain about how much you tipped them even when you went out of your way to do it. Not worth worrying about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 05-11-2023, 10:32 AM   #24151
All Star

Bard's Arena

OVR: 7

I am an 18%-20% tipper. You are getting 20% unless you don't refill my drinks, then 18%.

Rarely will I go to 15%. That means it was bad all-around.

However, why do the kids at Subway feel like I need to tip them? Do I tip at McDonalds? Burger King? Dairy Queen? No. You are the same, except you make me food in front of me, that's it. And your prices are now jacked up to all hell. Who wants to pay $17.86 for a mediocre sandwich?

I had a kid in high school who thought I should tip at the car wash the other day...for pushing a button and tap paying my card. What?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2023, 10:39 AM   #24152
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OS now has it's own version of "emotional blackmail."

This is like when you buy something at PETCO and the pin pad makes you select that you do not want to help animals.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nosupport.jpg (101.6 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by AUChase; 05-11-2023 at 10:43 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »