Home

Finance & Investing

This is a discussion on Finance & Investing within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2024, 01:01 PM   #1
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27
Finance & Investing

Hello fellow OSers..

Curious what options some of you pursue with investments? Do you do it on own your own, have a financial advisor move your money around, etc.?
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2024, 08:30 PM   #2
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Finance & Investing

Honestly, only need to do one thing if you're a common man. Invest in the index fund, either SPY or VOO.

You can have more aggressive investing with money you can spare to be aggressive with and that's all.

If you're a high net worth person, I'd still focus on the index fund investing but also sprinkle in some private equity investing.

I do it on my own, to answer your question. I've done super aggressive and lost it all and I've also done the boring index investing and have had good success. I've also had success in real estate but it comes with major headaches and getting lucky with the post-covid market surge. I dumped one extremely poor producing multi-fam for a decent profit. My business partner and I tried to dabble into Airbnb properties in FL but have had to shift to longer term rentals there. They're not totally self-sufficient but hoping they both eventually are.
Old 04-12-2024, 06:06 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0

If you don't mind me asking, why did you shift out of going in into Airbnb properties?
Old 04-12-2024, 07:05 AM   #4
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Old thread here:

https://forums.operationsports.com/f...ng-thread.html
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-17-2024, 01:25 AM   #5
Heyoka.

EUBlink's Arena

OVR: 8

With all seriousness, I would recommend going with whatever Nancy Pelosi is doing and just copying her for awhile and seeing where that takes you. There are multiple websites already set up to help you but you can message me privately if you would like further tips on which websites to follow or avoid.

Pelosi's portfolio is up 110% just this year. Forbes backs this up in an article that was written March 13th of this year. Is it ethical that our representatives have insider knowledge of the stock market and use that knowledge to make themselves insanely wealthy? That's for a discussion we won't have here at OperationSports, but the fact still remains that we have the ability to verifiably track her stock portfolio movements and then copy them ourselves to have the same or similar results if we have the capital to put into the market and play with.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2024, 10:58 AM   #6
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
If you don't mind me asking, why did you shift out of going in into Airbnb properties?
At least in Kissimmee, it's over saturated. We were not getting booked at rates that made sense and these HOA fees just keep going up.

We also bought at a relative high in 2022 and needed to have stable money coming in. We've rented 4 out of the 6 rooms consistently which helps pay 90% of the expenses every year.

I think in other places, it still makes sense.
Old 05-01-2024, 03:52 PM   #7
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

I have been using betterment, since I am a novice at this stuff. I just let the site manage it and I have had almost 15% returns since I started it a few years ago, which is pretty good.
Old 05-03-2024, 07:58 PM   #8
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8

To echo cjonesfan, indexes are a great and simple way to invest. Look up "Couch Potato Portfolios". They give you reasonable risk management in a very simple set of indexes.

You can certainly do more complex stuff than that, but it's pretty simple.

I also believe strongly in Vanguard and how they are modeled around long-term, buy-and-hold, dollar-cost-averaging investing. Unless you're spending 20+ hours a week doing research, market timing is a fools errand.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »