Home

Lessons Learned

This is a discussion on Lessons Learned within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 03-11-2024, 08:23 AM   #41
Rookie

DFS_loser's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Lessons Learned

Sliders have always been a gift and a curse. Just because one person thinks something is perfect does not mean the next person will agree. That is where that vicious cycle begins. We reach for perfection in these games, and we all have different ideas of what that is down to someone complaining about a game speed slider (NBA 2K) being at 42 when someone else thinks it should be 48. The number of sliders in 2K are insane, how can that ever be perfected when it's all based off personal opinion in the end.
That's why I have always loved the Show. In fairness year to year, you could easily play the game out the box and be happy. It's that solid of a game. The sliders are not overwhelming, you get a fair amount to adjust but rarely do they all even need adjusting.
I've been playing this game faithfully since 06 never have I sat waiting on a slider set but I did sit many long months waiting for that beautiful roster set from Knight and company! The roster sets were definitely worth the wait in previous years. Lately the wait has become shorter as the OSFM sets get dropped much quicker than years ago. Some nice roster sets with equipment edits also add to the immersion if you are a sucker for gear but if none of that matters the Show is 100% a game you could fire up and enjoy out the box on day 1.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2024, 08:43 AM   #42
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
That's how I have always played.

It's what makes franchise mode so addicting to me.

As far as sliders...I have never had issues on the Show locking in my settings inside 2-3 weeks. The game is tuned so well....I only have to tweak a few things to lock in what I want out of the game. And once I am locked in I never ever look back.

Playing every pitch of every inning allows the game to breathe for me. I have 1000's and 1000's and 1000's of hours of gameplay in the series under my belt to know that the reversion to the mean will happen depending on your team and ratings.

It's beautiful. And it's why this is hands down the best sports game ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Very well said.
Old 03-11-2024, 09:41 AM   #43
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

This is a fantastic post and one I hope circulates the MLB The Show community.

I had this revelation in 2017. It was September and I found myself player locking onto Giancarlo Stanton every game for the last 2 weeks of the season. I lowered the difficulty to Beginner and hit exactly 59 home runs to match his real life total. After the season, I sat there and thought to myself, "what was the point of that????"

I would also wait for OSFM but last year I dove in with default rosters and added any missing players with CAPs, even Tatis! It would've been blasphemy if I considered doing that years ago but last year I didn't care, I just wanted to play.

Equipment is something I will do before I start because I see it in game every day and can be an eyesore for me personally if not done right.

My hope is by the end of spring training in my franchise I have a good feel for sliders and can lock them in for the remainder of the year.

Just play!
Old 03-11-2024, 10:21 AM   #44
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
This is a fantastic post and one I hope circulates the MLB The Show community.

I had this revelation in 2017. It was September and I found myself player locking onto Giancarlo Stanton every game for the last 2 weeks of the season. I lowered the difficulty to Beginner and hit exactly 59 home runs to match his real life total. After the season, I sat there and thought to myself, "what was the point of that????"

I would also wait for OSFM but last year I dove in with default rosters and added any missing players with CAPs, even Tatis! It would've been blasphemy if I considered doing that years ago but last year I didn't care, I just wanted to play.

Equipment is something I will do before I start because I see it in game every day and can be an eyesore for me personally if not done right.

My hope is by the end of spring training in my franchise I have a good feel for sliders and can lock them in for the remainder of the year.

Just play!
On the same boat here. Reached a point where I asked myself : "Who care's my stats aren't par with real life? Who care's if my rosters aren't up to date? What if I reach .400 with a 65 OV player, will someone notice?

I was so focus few years ago having real life stats, real life rosters, real life everything that I tend to lose sight with what was important with gaming, just play the damn game!

Now, if I want real life something about sports, I just watch it. That's the best way to get real life stats, rosters and everything.

Don't get me wrong, have a ton of respect for people trying to get real everything out of this game, but I've done enough on that matter. :-)
Old 03-11-2024, 10:43 AM   #45
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBeaule04
On the same boat here. Reached a point where I asked myself : "Who care's my stats aren't par with real life? Who care's if my rosters aren't up to date? What if I reach .400 with a 65 OV player, will someone notice?

I was so focus few years ago having real life stats, real life rosters, real life everything that I tend to lose sight with what was important with gaming, just play the damn game!

Now, if I want real life something about sports, I just watch it. That's the best way to get real life stats, rosters and everything.

Don't get me wrong, have a ton of respect for people trying to get real everything out of this game, but I've done enough on that matter. :-)
You make a very valid point. Not one I have been able to conquer yet but I need to. I spend way to much time sitting around looking at the stats of other teams, the moves and getting held up by it not being realistic. I blame OOTP for doing that to me

I need to stop that
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2024, 10:57 AM   #46
MVP

FBeaule04's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendKillerOne
You make a very valid point. Not one I have been able to conquer yet but I need to. I spend way to much time sitting around looking at the stats of other teams, the moves and getting held up by it not being realistic. I blame OOTP for doing that to me

I need to stop that
I feel you sir! ;-)

If the unrealism of the game makes you uncomfortable, then, it's fine trying to get it real to an extent.

I guess it's just finding a balance to accept that the game is a simulation and that you want to have fun playing the game.

Some people will have a tough time getting over the # placement on a shirt, the equipment not beeing right, the bullpen not behind the fences, etc. etc. etc. I fully understand that.

In fact, I'm too old now to lose the gaming time I have on realism, let's say, to a certain point, having Jim Thome stealing 50 bases in AA ball wouldn't cut it!
Old 03-11-2024, 08:06 PM   #47
Did I do that???

mrCPUgeek's Arena

This is why I miss Bacon’s Fictional Rosters so much. You get to creat your own story in your own universe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-11-2024, 08:11 PM   #48
Rookie

Just here to also let you guys know that "It is okay" to want your franchise to resemble real life baseball. There's nothing wrong with you if you have to edit the slider because your team is hitting 8 hr's a game.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »