Home

Washington Football Team

This is a discussion on Washington Football Team within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?

Old 08-30-2020, 03:34 PM   #1
Rookie

packers96's Arena

OVR: 0
Washington Football Team

I was thinking about the subject of removing the old name of the franchise and wanted to know why Washington also removed the Logo that was the face of an Indian. Wouldn't it be enough to just change the name that for many was contrary to the politically correct? Anyway, I would like to give an opinion on the new name of the franchise, I would like the name to be Washington INDIANS. What new name would you choose?

#NFLdropEA

Last edited by packers96; 08-30-2020 at 03:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #2
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Re: Washington Football Team

I assume you mean native American

Abandoning one name regarded as racist for another wouldn't seem to be a viable option
Old 08-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Rookie

I...I’m...What?
Old 08-30-2020, 04:45 PM   #4
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
I assume you mean native American

Abandoning one name regarded as racist for another wouldn't seem to be a viable option
Without completely detailing this thread, your statement calling people whining a tied this land well before the “America’s” were coined by settlers is in itself the same statement you called the OP. Ironic. Native [tribe] Indians would be the correct term and it’s how more traditional elders refer to themselves on the reservation. Just sayin...if your gonna be the political police make sure your 100% with it

Last edited by BlackBetty15; 08-30-2020 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBetty15
Without completely detailing this thread, your statement calling people whining a tied this land well before the “America’s” were coined by settlers is in itself the same statement you called the OP. Ironic. Native Indians would be the correct term and it’s how more traditional elders refer to themselves on the reservation. Just sayin...if your gonna be the political police make sure your 100% with it
My apologies I wasn't aware of this .... i was genuinely attempting to be respectful

I am however curious as to why they would prefer Indian... a term originating from the misconception that some of that period had that they had reached Asia if im correct

Also I was far from trying to be pc police merely responding that the same problem would exist ...i believe the Cleveland team has similar issues but with less political infighting between the ownership and thus less financial pressure to change

Last edited by briz1046; 08-30-2020 at 04:53 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-30-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
MVP

They changed the logo because it wouldn't match whatever new name they choose to go with.

And I very much doubt the new name will be Indians or anything similar. I believe they'll rebrand entirely and move away from the native American/native Indian (unsure of the correct term) heritage altogether.

The Cleveland Indians name has been the subject of some scrutiny in recent years, and the Chief Chop has been mentioned as inappropriate too. It wouldn't make sense to choose another similar name when it's not unlikely that other teams such as the Indians and Chiefs may be forced to change their names in the not too distant future too.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #7
Rookie

What would be best for the franchise is to go in an entirely different branding direction. Trying to find compromise that keeps some Native-American branding but not the name Redskins will not be enough to satisfy those asking for a name change, and at the same time it will be so little of a change that fans of the Redskins name will argue they should have kept Redskins. Everyone loses in that scenario. Best for a clean break, and for some new branding.

Alternatively, I actually like “Washington Football Team”. I wouldn’t be opposed to them keeping that name. It’s like a Futbol club.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:52 PM   #8
MVP

BlackBetty15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by briz1046
My apologies I wasn't aware of this .... i was genuinely attempting to be respectful

I am however curious as to why they would prefer Indian... a term originating from the misconception that some of that period had that they had reached Asia if im correct
They don’t really like “Indian” either. That’s like assuming Puerto Rican’s and Dominicans are technically the same Latin group. That will get your cut. Lord forgive you if you compared either of them to Mexican. Same with Indians. You refer to them as their tribal affiliation. I had to correct my post due to that. Lumping then all together in “ Indian” portrays them as all the same when in fact that kills their individual culture and assumes there is no identity between them which is Dwight shrewt FALSE lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »