Home

The Career of J.D. Clark (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on The Career of J.D. Clark (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-05-2024, 05:07 PM   #1305
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19
2024 Season Week 1 - #1 Iowa at #20 Texas

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-05-2024, 05:51 PM   #1306
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

2024 - Around the Nation Week 2

Last edited by Hellisan; 05-05-2024 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:12 PM   #1307
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Hawk Blog

Week 1 Random Thoughts

Feeling Horrible for Harkless

Word is beginning to leak out that Antwione Harkless may be done for the season with his concussion. Or at least a big portion of it. I've seen enough of Harkless on the field to believe that he'll never be Iowa's starting QB, but let's just say I relate to people with limitations. He's got a laundry list of limitations but some real talent too, and he's just someone I've been rooting for. The people I sit near at the games root for him too. He's just likable. Big Hark went 2-2 for 22 yards, made a great read on an option pitch that gained 29 yards, and just got unlucky to hit the ground the way he did. Heal quickly and completely, good sir.

He may be a Dandy, Indeed

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Dylan Dandy had numerous "firsts" in the opening game, including a 27-yard touchdown reception. Watching at practice and in scrimmages previously, the team used him in the slot quite a bit. With the suspension of NeShawn Talley likely to last the entire season, that opens up more of a chance for Dandy to start out wide, where one would think his 6'4" frame would work best. But Dandy was in the slot when he scored his touchdown. Dandy isn't a burner, but he gets up to speed as fast or faster than anybody else on the team. This makes him very difficult to deal with in the slot, where if you're running a route, or just going over the middle, you can get separation more quickly than on the outside, where they can more easily guard you with a safety over the top. And in the case of his touchdown play, with the opposing team playing a cover 2 shell, he cleared the linebackers so quick it put a massive amount of pressure on the safety to pick between the two wide receivers heading his way. Dandy isn't known for having the greatest hands, but he caught everything thrown to him yesterday, catching three passes for 39 yards and the touch. A great first game.

Veney fit in just fine in his first game

True freshman cornerback Tyson Veney was selected between two options, the other being Bret Harris, to essentially start for the Hawkeyes as a freshman. The team chose Veney for one primary reason, that being that he was a lot more competitive in the running game. Not necessarily a better tackler, or a much bigger hitter than Harris, but more competitive. He's more difficult to block inside and reacts more quickly to plays. And the local boy is a little bit more aggressive, to my eye. He played just fine in his first game with 4 tackles and a pass deflection, and wasn't an obvious weakness in coverage despite being greener'n a Mexican tomata. Great job, kid.

Butler for Heisman

I know, I know, I know, I know. The Heisman trophy is only awarded to the outstanding OFFENSIVE "college football player in the United States whose performance epitomizes great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work." But it really should go to a defensive player again once in a while. Better yet, it should go to a defensive player that's not necessarily known for their stance in a low rider just as much as their defensive abilities. Brandon Butler was as good as I've ever seen him in week 1 against Texas. And although I know he'll never win the Heisman and truthfully, would probably not vote that way, I think we need to recognize in some way that the very best player in the nation may play defense this year. And I wouldn't be surprised if Brandon Butler is that player.

Last edited by Hellisan; 05-05-2024 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2024, 10:16 PM   #1308
MVP

studbucket's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Hawk Blog

It sure seemed like a warmup game for the Hawkeyes, regardless of what the opening sentence said! What a whooping.

The Talley suspension is wild and unexpected, but coach Clark doesn't mess around and that discipline has paid off for both him and the Hawkeyes.

🏈RIFLE - a dystopian football league.

🏀Bringing Back the Buzz - my first dynasty.
Old 05-06-2024, 12:41 AM   #1309
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

2024 - Around the Nation Week 3

Old 05-06-2024, 01:31 AM   #1310
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

2024 Week 3 Preview - Iowa State at #1 Iowa

Week 2 - Iowa return to Kinnick against Familiar Foe

The Hawkeyes play their first home game of the season before going on the road for four straight against Tennessee, Minnesota, Penn State, and Wisconsin. Coach Clark has never lost to Iowa State, and 2019 was the last season this affair ended in a close score.

The Hawkeyes are already dealing with some absences, with running back Shakur Becton being the most notable. Becton was an all-around force for the Hawkeyes in their first game, really opening up the passing game with his ability in that area. Stepping up for Becton will be the speedier but less well-rounded Quincy Lowery. Fullback Nathan Richardson will step into the backup role. With their physical advantage, look for the Hawkeyes to feed Lowery a little more than they fed Becton a week ago. Still, the team appear determined to be more well rounded moving forward.

On defense, Iowa have to be careful because this is a team with power running and speed. If Iowa State stick to the run and throw it over the top successfully, this game could be a challenge.

Old 05-06-2024, 01:44 PM   #1311
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The Career of J.D. Clark (NCAA 14)

Really impressive performance in the opener at Texas. You look at the raw yardage totals and it seems like the Longhorns played Iowa relatively even, but the Hawkeyes made every big play whereas Texas didn't.

Quite a shame about Harkless - it's good to have the depth behind Mack with Malone, but I'm in full agreement with Joe in that I always found Hark to be a fun and slightly chaotic change-of-pace option under center. He's a contributor even if he doesn't throw the ball all that well, and there could be a few moments later this season where you may not convert that first down or pick up the yardage you need because it was a Hark situation.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2024, 08:25 PM   #1312
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

Re: The Career of J.D. Clark (NCAA 14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by studbucket
It sure seemed like a warmup game for the Hawkeyes, regardless of what the opening sentence said! What a whooping.

The Talley suspension is wild and unexpected, but coach Clark doesn't mess around and that discipline has paid off for both him and the Hawkeyes.
I was surprised, I mean I guess not stunned, CPU teams tend to screw themselves over from time to time, but with all their ill-timed 4th down attempts and that backwards pass they just had a combo of bad decisions and bad luck that made the game look way easier than it was.

Yeah, the Citizenship / includes some rolls where a random number is tested against the citizenship ranking of a random player on the team, but it also has some where they are tested against a random number lower than 60, which is just a few guys, so the guys with the lowest ratings to roll against tend to have suspensions multiple times, and anybody can then roll a season long suspension or kicked off the team. The guys with the really low ratings seem to have a hard time staying on the field too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Really impressive performance in the opener at Texas. You look at the raw yardage totals and it seems like the Longhorns played Iowa relatively even, but the Hawkeyes made every big play whereas Texas didn't.

Quite a shame about Harkless - it's good to have the depth behind Mack with Malone, but I'm in full agreement with Joe in that I always found Hark to be a fun and slightly chaotic change-of-pace option under center. He's a contributor even if he doesn't throw the ball all that well, and there could be a few moments later this season where you may not convert that first down or pick up the yardage you need because it was a Hark situation.
I have to agree on all above. Thanks CW I appreciate you checking in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »