Home

What movies have you seen recently?

This is a discussion on What movies have you seen recently? within the Entertainment & Technology forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

OVR: 13
What movies have you seen recently?

With the amount of movies i see a week and general movie talk, i decided to make this thread on any movie seen recently. Got this idea from another forum and it worked well over there, spanned 200 pages.

So i'll start with my most recent movie: Outlander

Quote:
Plot: During the reign of the Vikings, Kainan, a man from a far-off world, crash lands on Earth, bringing with him an alien predator known as the Moorwen. Though both man and monster are seeking revenge for violence committed against them, Kainan leads the alliance to kill the Moorwen by fusing his advanced technology with the Viking's Iron Age weaponry
Easily one of the better movies i've seen all year. No the budget wasn't' very big and except for Jim Caviezel, it has no big name actor. But the overall film was very well done. The story even though simple was well told and the characters were enjoyable to watch. The special effects weren't great but they weren't as bad as some other movies.

This isn't an Oscar winning movie or anything, actually sort of resembles a movie that could be a SC-IF original if all there movies weren't crap-tastic and had a budget of $200

Rating 8.5/10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

Re: What movies have you seen recently? Part 1

Saw another movie this past week; Mall Cop. I'm a big Kevin James fan and found it pretty funny. It could of been better, but what more can you ask for

Rating: 6.5/10
Old 05-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
The Legend Continues

Happy29's Arena

OVR: 31

Saw Up yesterday
Old 05-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
MVP

CarryTheWeight's Arena

OVR: 30

Saw Let The Right One In for a second time yesterday, it's this small, independent, Swedish vampire movie that is drawing some pretty bad comparisons to Twilight because there's a vampire-human relationship with teenage characters. Right. Comparing Let The Right One In to Twilight is like comparing Near Dark to Once Bitten. It may have a similar plot but it's an entirely different film with a mood all its own.

Controversial comparisons aside, the film finds a way to be brooding and touching at the same time. Amazing acting (even from the child actors!), directing, cinematography, editing, score...this film is probably the best horror/drama hybrid of the last decade. Check it out, but please, don't go anywhere near the English dub. The studio releasing it is small, so apparently they hired a bunch of anime dubbers and the result is horrid (no pun intended).

The worst thing about the film is its impending American sequel, which apparently will be directed by Matt Reeves of Cloverfield fame. Ouch.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 PM   #5
ZB9
Hall Of Fame

ZB9's Arena

OVR: 28

saw "Vicky Christina Barcelona" the other day. I dont usually like Woody Allen movies at all, but this one was really great. I can see why Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz were nominated for Oscars for their performances in this movie.

as far as rating, I guess I would give it something like an 8/10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2009, 12:25 PM   #6
MVP

marshallfever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Saw Let The Right One In for a second time yesterday, it's this small, independent, Swedish vampire movie that is drawing some pretty bad comparisons to Twilight because there's a vampire-human relationship with teenage characters. Right. Comparing Let The Right One In to Twilight is like comparing Near Dark to Once Bitten. It may have a similar plot but it's an entirely different film with a mood all its own.

Controversial comparisons aside, the film finds a way to be brooding and touching at the same time. Amazing acting (even from the child actors!), directing, cinematography, editing, score...this film is probably the best horror/drama hybrid of the last decade. Check it out, but please, don't go anywhere near the English dub. The studio releasing it is small, so apparently they hired a bunch of anime dubbers and the result is horrid (no pun intended).

The worst thing about the film is its impending American sequel, which apparently will be directed by Matt Reeves of Cloverfield fame. Ouch.
I think i want to see this movie. I've seen the cover for it and heard good things about it.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
goh
Banned

OVR: 37

The Wrestler. 9/10,I actually enjoyed it more than that but some parts seemed a bit random.
After my Breakstation 3 broke that's the only one I watched. I need a BR player.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #8
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

I watched Ghost Town one night last week. It was a surprisingly good romantic comedy with Greg Kinnear, Ricky Gervais, and Tea Leoni (so beautiful).

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Entertainment & Technology »