Home

IGN:FIFA 12 Turning the D

This is a discussion on IGN:FIFA 12 Turning the D within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 07-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #1
Banned

OVR: 8
IGN:FIFA 12 Turning the D

IGN has a new FIFA 12 story Here's the link:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/118/1181084p1.html

I like that they improve the D.I hope the also improve the off the ball movements.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-08-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: IGN:FIFA 12 Turning the D

Whoa, reading on my phone while on OS at my work PC so I can't quote directly right away, but there are some nuggets about career mode in this article. Bear with me... I'll type as fast as I can.

Quote:
Details about the improved career mode have also been released, and there's plenty of new features to explore. But it's the level of detail that seems most impressive at first glance. Career mode will allow you, if you wish, to get involved in every aspect of the game -- from hiring scouts to source young talent to selecting a squad in the light of a gloomy physio report.

This time round the transfer window has been realised with greater fidelity, too. Players can now choose to 'stall' on a negotiation, and are in general more aggressive and intelligent in their demands. But this level of detail isn't limited to static menu screens; it spills over into the commentary, creating an even greater sense of realism.
Also worth mentioning that ChaseB is at the EA Summer Showcase event and should be spending some time with FIFA12.

Last edited by Qb; 07-08-2011 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #3
Closet pyromaniac

Whitesox's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
but there are some nuggets about career mode in this article.
Interesting, but that's not enough to get me a clear idea of how much is an "impressive" amount of detail.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Yeah, very brief but hopefully we'll get a lot more next week.
Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Not much new information, but the more I read comments like "we're proud of the fact that it's different" from David Rutter, the better I like him.

So far, FIFA 12 sounds like my kind of game. I'm a huge fan of defense regardless of sport, and it seems like Clean Sheets are going to be something you have to work hard to get.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #6
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

Rutter and Co, just does not get it at all......the problem that they should be addressing is why people felt the need to mash the pressure button.

that reason is that default the user AI backed off every attacker leaving players free to do whatever.

fix the AI and remove the double team/pressure button all together....

we have custom tactics for pressure that has 3 levels, contain(contain is a level of pressure in the tactics why do we need a button for it), double and i forgot the last one becuase its been so long i gave up on fifa......

let the custum tactics controll this that way we are playing using a strategy and not abusing a mechanic on the fly... i know people want more control(on the fly) but IMO the new pressure mechanic is still unrealistic.......becuase it wont take into consideration player ratings(awareness of the situation) its just a mindless response to our demand....

if the AI is so great let it double and press according to strategy based on the regognition of who is on the ball or time remaining in the match.....

i have heard nothing about AI anticipation which means i will again have to cut out every pass for my team, clear every corner etc....

i know EA is trying but the real issues dont seem to be addressed on D.....

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 07-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #7
MVP

teambayern's Arena

OVR: 20

I disagree. I just picked up Fifa 11 (I've owned all the Fifas since 08) and I think there is no lack of pressure from the CPU. There is no risk/reward for pressure; you do better when you presse and worse when you don't. That's the bottom line, and everything else is part of that. I've been a defender all my life, so this is an aspect of the game that is especially frustrating for me. IMO, the problem is with a few things, the worst being at the top:

1. There is no loss of agility when pressing. IRL, when you run full speed towards someone, you can't continue to move laterally with ease. This is where the top dribblers command respect. When Messi has the ball, you can't afford to rush in because he is too quick; you are sprinting at him and he takes a few steps to the left/right then around you. In FIFA 11, the players are constantly making passes at full speed and turning on a dime to stay with the dribbler. It's like watching a bull fight where the bull's horns stick to the cape as the matador turns it. Your worst fear as a defender is to be wrongfooted, and that whole aspect is missing from FIFA 11.

2. Similarly, there is no loss of agility when trying to tackle. When you stick your foot out to try and take the ball, you are no longer in a position where you can continue to run at full speed or deftly maneuver to close down the ball. In FIFA 11, the players are constantly taking stabs at the ball while turning and jostling with the dribbler. I'd like to see FIFA 12 have a system where when you take a stab at the ball, you either get it, foul the player, or get left in the dust.

3. The short-term fatigue is still not severe enough. In NBA 2k11, when you crouch down to guard a player, your stamina depletes. FIFA 12 should institute this same type of mechanic, or if it already exists, then up it. IRL, most players would collapse on the field if they repeatedly ran at full speed like that. Also, there are people who CAN play with an uncommon intensity, so let those shine by continuing to have that pressure.

4. The tackling shouldn't be so perfect. 90% of the time, the defender strips the ball and takes possession at full speed and momentum in the opposite direction. IRL, this rarely happens and only from skilled tacklers. Variation in the tackling outcomes would be greatly improve the game.

5. Timing, timing, timing. That's what defending is. You go too early or late, you catch the player or miss entirely. Put that in Fifa 12. You shouldn't be able to just hold a button, because that takes all timing out of it. Imagine if you just held a button to make the shooter beat the last defender and take the shot. I think the other game's system might be a good route for this, where you hold the button to square up to the dribbler, but push forward on the stick to take the actual tackle.

6. Positioning. If you try for a tackle where the player is between you and the ball, it should be a foul. This is simple, basic football, and basic gaming mechanics. Fifa is behind the times on this one.

I'm excited that Fifa 12 is addressing these things. I think that defense is the last major issue that FIFA has failed to address and could complete the game as a simulation (like taking the giant dent out of a ferrari). Next two biggest issues I'd like to see addressed are increasing the pitch size and improving shot variation (shots from certain locations tend to take the same trajectories and get the same saves; even on manual), but I'd take improved defense over both these put together. This could be a big year for Fifa and soccer fans.

Last edited by teambayern; 07-10-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Great post, teambayern, but I understand and share some of carnalnirvana's concerns.

While I don't consider it a huge issue, it is sometimes frustrating that your AI controlled teammates on defense aren't capable of playing smart. Their marking is sometimes off, which can lead to easy goals, and their tactical discipline isn't the greatest at times. Furthermore, you rarely see them clearing a corner by themselves or being able to shut down a player unless user controlled.

I'd like to see a top defender being capable of playing solid defense without having to user control him, but as mentioned above, it's not a huge issue for me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »