Home

Long Beach State University (ESPN CH)

This is a discussion on Long Beach State University (ESPN CH) within the Dynasty HQ forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-01-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Long Beach State University (ESPN CH)

LOGAN TAKES OVER THE REINS AT LBSU - LOOKS TO IMPROVE OFF 6-17 CAMPAIGN

LONG BEACH, CA (AP) - Long Beach State University Athletic Director Bill Shumard announced the hiring of Brian Logan as Head Men's Basketball Coach Sunday, taking over a troubled program that ultimately cost Larry Reynolds his job.

The 31 year-old Logan was the Head Coach at NCAA Division II Metro State (CO). During his three-year reign, Logan went 62-15 and winning two Divsion II National Championships and making he finals in his other year.

"I'm just very excited about the 49er program. California is great place to recruit and get solid kids. This will be a different program from previous years," stated Logan.

Shumard was impressed from the very beginning with the Wisconsin native. "Logan has accomplished so much in so little time. I truly believe we have a great shot, with Logan at the wheel, to return the Long Beach State program back to prominence."

"I have a lot to do, but that will not be an excuse," replied Logan. "We are not looking to contend this year, but we need to win at least one Conference playoff game this year for it to be a success. Plus, I need to get some assistants."

Logan's philosophy is simple. "Rebound the hell out of the basketball, take good shots and have a blast on the court. I think we have to let the players be themselves, as long as they put the work in."
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Rookie

LOGAN MAKES CHANGES

49er COACH LOGAN BENCHES TWO SENIORS, CUTS WATSON

LONG BEACH, CA (AP) - Head Men's Basketball Coach Brian Logan made quick work of the roster Monday, benching two and cutting a McDonald's All-American PG.

Logan declared sophomore Kenny Patterson and junior Tommy Cooley starters, effictively benching senior PG Thomas Young and senior PF Stephen House. He also cut sophomore PG Alvin Watson, citing disciplinary reasons.

"There will be no place on the 49er team for players like Watson - other than that, there will be no comment," replied Logan on Watson's departure.

His changes signify a major philosphy switch from known production to projects who could possibly develop quicker than most thought. "Cooley can be a All-Conference player this year, no doubt in my mind. Patterson has the tools needed to be a very good player in this league," surmised Logan. "Nothing against House and Young, but they need to prove to me that the past was an exception."

The 49ers finished 6-17 last year, 4-11 in the Big West Conference.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #3
Rookie

STARTING LINEUP

Point Guard - Sohpmore Kenny Patterson. The 6'1" sophomore will give the 49ers more range as they look to improve on the team's 28.9% 3-pt shooting from last year. "He has the range, plus he wants to go after rebounds," states Logan.

Shooting Guard - Sophomore Logan Harris. "Harris can rebound at 6'4", but must look to improve on his 33.6% FG PCT from last year," said Logan. "He must do many things on the court because he knows he will not be the first option.

Small Forward - Junior Brad Darag. "I love this guy. At 6'7", he will do many things for us. He could play four postiions and might be the top guy in a half court trap situation. He can give us a lot of spark."

Power Forward - Junior Thomas Cooley. "At 6'11", he will give teams fits in the Big West. He matches up well. He can block shots and runs the floor well for a big man. He has a Tim Duncan body, but he knows he's nowhere near Tim. If he can develop some aggressiveness, he could be a player."

Center - Senior Thomas Jackson. "Another Tommy, no wonder this team didn't know what to do last year. With four Tommy's, the coach yelled and no one thought he was talking to him. Jackson will be our captain, because he's earned it. On my team, the seniors, and one one else, are the captains. The 49ers will play for the seniors before they play for themselves."
Old 03-02-2004, 12:29 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: STARTING LINEUP

Looks like a good start I will be reading You guys should do one with my hometown UMKC KAngaroos its hard
Old 03-03-2004, 09:01 AM   #5
Rookie

LOGAN NAMES STARTERS; 49ers TO FACE SDSU TUESDAY

LBSU TRAVELS TO SDSU TUESDAY TO START LONG ROAD TRIP

LONG BEACH, CA (AP) - The Long Beach State University men's basketball team will face San Diego State University Tuesday to begin a non-conference schedule filled with road games.

"We play six of our seven non-conference games on the raod. We're excited about that challenge," stated newly-minted Head Coach Brian Logan. "We will have planty of opportunities to take wins away from the home team. I want to have silent crowds when we leave."

After the 49ers face the Aztecs, LBSU will travel to Portland and Pepperdine before facing Minnesota from the Big 10 Conference.

Probable Starting Lineup
PG - Kenny Patterson
SG - Logan Harris
SF - Brad Darag
PF - Walter Cooley
C - Thomas Jackson
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-04-2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Rookie

49ers Catch Aztecs; Record First Win of Season

49ers defeat SDSU; Darag Leads

Brad Darag - 22 points

SAN DIEGO, CA (AP) - Brad Darag scored 22 and Long Beach State (1-0) took its first lead with just over a minute left in the game and held on to a 83-80 win against San Diego State Tuesday night in its first non-conference game for both teams.

"We stuck around and executed down the stretch," recalls 49er head coach Brian Logan. "We rebounded really well in the second half, nullifying their second chance opportunities."

The Aztecs (0-1) shot 58.8% from the field in the first half, but went cold in the last eight minutes of the game, shooting 5-24 in that span. 49er point guard Kenny Patterson hit a three-pointer with just over a minute to go to give LBSU its first lead at 81-80.

Thomas Jackson hit two free throws with 22 seconds left to give the 49ers a 83-80 lead. Aztec reserve guard Ronnie Jefferson missed a three-pointer as time expired that would have tied the ball game.

Jefferson led the Aztecs with 21 points, shooting 9-17 from the field. Reserve forward Rich Mayes finished with 10 points and 8 rebounds.

Brad Darag led the 49ers with 22 points, Patterson finished with 15, Logan Harris scored 14 and Walter Cooley had 14 points and 15 rebounds. Jackson finshed with 8 points and 14 rebounds.

Key Stats:
FG PCT
Aztecs 43.6%
49ers 43.5% (Cooley 7/12)

Rebounds
49ers 52 (20 offensive;Cooley, 15; Jackson 14)
Aztecs 40

Turnovers
49ers 17
Aztecs 7
Old 03-04-2004, 10:09 PM   #7
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Long Beach State University (ESPN CH)

Congratulations on beating SDSU and that sleaze ball Steve Fisher. SDSU should be embarrassed they hired such a cheating SOB. He left scandal-scarred Michigan in ruins, thought he was slick by having Ed Martin come with him on recruiting trips and leaving envelopes of cash to players like C-Webb, Jalen Rose and Robert Traylor, but he got busted, canned and left with his tail between his legs. He's a dirty coach, he's everything that's wrong with college athletics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Dynasty HQ »