Home

Old 02-04-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Real boxing 101

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/4763650.page

Super long read

Please click link some guy nailed it every problem that I have with the game. I usually come here operation sports for the sim experience and I am shocked at the response here for the game. What really killed me is when Mr. Sim Czar put his stamp of approval on the game, not trying too diss but this is not boxing. I looked back and thought maybe it's just me but it's not.

Last edited by tony01313; 02-04-2011 at 05:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Real boxing 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony01313

Super long read

Please click link some guy nailed it every problem that I have with the game. I usually come here operation sports for the sim experience and I am shocked at the response here for the game. What really killed me is when Mr. Sim Czar put his stamp of approval on the game, not trying too diss but this is not boxing. I looked back and thought maybe it's just me but it's not.
good read with valid opinions...but

I can't help thinking that people are going a bit over board in their criticisms of the idea behind the blocking system. I agree that the mechanic has been simplified from what we had before but the truth that no one seems to want to bring up is that the high/low system was a less realistic and ultimately more broken system then we have now. The loss of strategy that the OP mentioned doesn't hold much weight to me because FNR4's blocking is not a real strategy that fighter's use. Fighters don't invite headshots by blocking only their chests, they use head movement instead. The only time a fighter might solely focus on protecting body and leave his head wide open is if he has sustained a serious injury to body, and at that point the fight is prettty much always over. So people really want to go back to a blocking style that is only used 0.01% of the time in real life?

The OP also cites FNR3's 6 way parry system a few times as an example of "tools" that have been taken away (even though he repeatedly claims he didn't use those same tools). Anyone that's played a good deal of FNR3 knows why he would be ashamed to admit he used to the parry... because it was so poorly implemented that it essentially broke the game. Might as well have called it "auto-counter", react as late as you wanted without any penalty by choosing the right side and it was money. Good riddance to that "tool".

I agree wholeheartedly that the game needs another layer of strategy on defense. I think there is a common sense solution that unfortunately won't make it into FNC but has little to do with the blocking. I feel the blocking system right now sans the counter window that opens when you "perfect block" is fine. The OP constantly cites punch stats as his end all be all to condemning the FNC blocking system when it's pretty obvious to me that we are going to see some tuning in the area of punch accuracy to clean that up a bit. Back to the solution. The solution is to remove "perfect blocking's" counter window and in its place add some sort of parry mechanic back to the game that is a little more demanding than FNR3's system. The only way this will work without breaking the balance of the game is to also add in a reliable punch feign mechanic as a counter. I think holding a modifier button for parry then needing to predict the exact punch by the flicking the Full Spectrum Punching Stick in the proper direction might do the trick. If you guess wrong you will eat a punch clean. As far as punch feigns are concerned I like the system implemented in UFC2010 that allows you to feign strikes by cancelling the striking animation before it reachs a certain point. The punch feign will allow you to throw off the timing of fighters who decide to rely too heavily on parrying. Feigning is the only way to limit parrying's effectiveness as a tactic to be relied heavily upon.

Does the FNC demo have it's share of problems... 100% yes, but I don't feel the "dumbed down auto-blocking" that a lot of ignorant critics and the OP (who I don't feel fits the description of an ignorant critic... just to be clear) have crucified the game for is anywhere near the top of the list of real problems...

Last edited by The Visualizer; 02-05-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:46 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

Folks just mad I'm painting that chin.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:19 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony01313

Super long read

I agree with alot of what he posted and disagreed too. I'm POETICDRINK2U on the EA forums. I think people get caught up in the fight game frame of mind instead of this is a (sports) boxing game.

The one button block is to give a player the feel of throwing from the guard. Is it implemented how I would like no, but it's ok. This game has a boxing feel to it, especially after some tweaking.

The producers are trying to serve 2 gods, Casual and Sim. It's funny because they can't really identify which is which. They think the Hardcore want things like a combination lock controller configuration. They think the majority of Casuals want flashes and sounds.

The producers need to take NBA 2k11 route and just create the sport as realistic as possible. You can say what fans will buy if you never presented to them fully.

The fans really need to come together on what is boxing and throw that this is a fighting game mentality out the window and tell EA to replicate the sport without the arcade things.

* A month or so after Fight Night Champion release a couple of fans and me will be working to get a wishlist to the producers.(I will email it personally). Let's get this game on the path of being the best sim sports game.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

I knew before I even clicked on it, it had to be "Im cold Blooded" post. Just because it is a long read and is by a boxer does not mean it is the gospel.

His frame of mind on how controls should be and how others feel controls should be is a personal preference!!!

Let me explain something to you that he said. He said that he felt that certain that are tough in real life and require skill to pull off, such as the blocking game in real life. Should take the same hand eye coordination in the video game. I DISAGREE with this completely. Hell it is hard as hell to do a free throw line Jordan dunk in real life, but in NBA2k11 it is a simple flick of the right stick. It does not take away any of the "sim" aspect of NBA2k11 just because the user holding the controller did not have to load his take off, Fly through the air cradling the ball, and slamming it home .

Just making something tough on the stick does NOT make it realistic. In certain cases things that are very natural for athletes are just that VERY NATURAL and don't require tons of THOUGHT.

For instance it is very natural for me when I am balling to pull some crazy dribbles moves out, poppin ball over head, off knees, crossing people over, etc. But I don't have to make the dribble controls extremely tough on a controller just to simulate something tough which in reality is easy for me. So my frame of mind on this is that we are controlling virtual star athletes that know how to block. So it should be their ratings that dictate how well they block to mimic how they do it in real life. Not some 8 year old kid who sucks making Roy Jones Jr. look like a walking zombie.

To wrap this up, basically I disagree with alot of what he said. Plus his video of FN3 is a joke. You got two people playing the game the way it is SUPPOSED to be played of course the game is going to look great. Now let me go record some real footage of online and put that side by side with his. Two completely different animals.

Bottom line is FNC has taken the right steps to not only make it balanced(getting there). But also to make it FUN and at the end of the day the game needs to be fun to want to play it.

Last edited by Phobia; 02-05-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2011, 10:29 AM   #6

OVR: 34

We have gotten to the point to where expecting the "simulation" experience is dictating whether or not we can enjoy a video game and that in itself is then poking holes at the core of what video games are.

The actual sport comes first. The video game is a mere representation of the sport. The problem is we are demanding this euphoric simulation experience that has never and will never be fully completed. Video games tend to offer an exaggeration of what it's representing. Sports video games will find ways to emphasize the action. People want to see/experience that.

You are doing yourself a favor by taking things as they are and finding ways to enjoy it. I very much so enjoy talking about a game's tendencies, and I have even avoided some games because they just don't deliver on what I'm expecting, but creating this huge standard of "simulation" is not going to accomplish anything but frustration, and in fact, i'd argue that it is not what Operation Sports prides itself on.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:30 AM   #7
Banned

OVR: 7

Is that tony cat still crying?
Old 02-05-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5000
Is that tony cat still crying?
REMOVED CRYING FACE

Last edited by JayBee74; 02-05-2011 at 12:54 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »