Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #2901
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I'm about to walk down to the bars and watch, I love Sonnen and would love to see him pull off the upset. Also hoping Big Country wins big
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #2903
BYU 14
Coordinator

Solid performance by Bisping, his conditioning is insane and a big advantage in most of his fights. He was just picking Belcher apart of the first.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #2904
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Jones' foot looked nasty. I doubt if he could have even continued if that fight had made it to the second round.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #2905
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
Jones' foot looked nasty. I doubt if he could have even continued if that fight had made it to the second round.

Couldn't tell when he did that.

It looked very nasty, big toes shouldn't be pointing sideways like that.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #2906
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post

That was brutal, hard to even tell how it happened. It would have been interesting if Sonnen had been able to stand up, but once Jones gets someone in that spot it is pretty much over.

He has the frame to move up, would love to see him fight Cain if he could carry 225-230 comfortably.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #2907
booradley
High School Varsity

Still a bit groggy, but I'll post my 2 bits:

1. Chael Sonnen getting beat (easily) at his own game has to be the ultimate in humiliation. Now I see he's talking retirement, and that's his best move. He'll make an excellent coach.

2. Roy Nelson might be my favorite pro athlete period. He put away a real bada$$ without breaking a sweat. Wow. Without using his best shot. Watching the replay, he never turned his fist over, but dumped a 237-pound man on his can anyway.

3. The ref who stopped the St Preux-Villante fight on an eye poke should never ref again. Embarrassing. Wanna see a fight-stopping eye poke? See Tim Belcher.

4. Speaking of Belcher, what a joke of an effort he put out. No energy, no defense, just one half-hearted attempt at a TD that I remember. Bisping's not that tough to touch, historically. If Belcher couldn't figure that out, and he's labeled a Top 10 MW, then the MW division is pretty damn thin. Boo Tim!

5. Gaff has to be the dopiest-looking human being I've ever seen. I felt bad for her on sight pre-fight. Then she got beat up by an old woman. Easily. Tough night.

6. No one's ever gonna beat Jon Jones. I honestly believe that - barring a freak injury or something - he could go unbeaten for the next 10 years. And I'd really love to see how Dana White deals with that.

Last edited by booradley : 04-28-2013 at 10:22 AM.
booradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #2908
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I am guessing you mean Alan, right? I think Tim Belcher is a pitching coach somewhere.

That eye poke was nasty. As was Jones' foot.

I pretty much agree with your thoughts. I was hoping Bisping would get pounded, on Belcher came out looking (and fighting) like he was high on something.

I'll bet Sonnen doesn't become a coach, but instead becomes a commentator. He's already been doing those turns, and if it's true he will retire, I think Dana will find a way to keep him on screen, since people either love him or hate him (and either way they're watching). But I'll bet he doesn't retire. Seems too "quiet".

I felt the ref jumped in on Sonnen too soon. Sonnen never stopped defending himself and I didn't really see him take any big hits while on the ground that weren't deflected. That said, the ref did probably save him from a massive pounding.

I loved the Nelson knockout of Kongo, although I was pretty surprised Kongo went out on that second punch. I can see the first one (the roundhouse) knocking him to the ground, since it got him behind the ear, but that second one on the ground didn't look like much, but that's when Kongo went out (for a second only, it seemed). Great win for Nelson. I would love to see him keep climbing. When the head of your promotion hates you and you still succeed, that's just awesome.

Dana needs to get Phil Davis a real opponent. Prado twice and Mahaelas (sp?) now? Sorry, these fighters are not really in his class. I mean, he got beat by Rashad and Jones would smoke him, but can we stop putting him against these second level guys? Why not throw him at Little Nog or Machida or someone like that and see what happens?

There was incredible irony for me in that Healy looked a lot like the old Jim Miller in appearance, while Miller himself looked like is moving to become a whiter, shorter Kimbo Slice. Miller looked awful. Very disappointed there. I think he got too big. He's muscled up too much and lost his athleticism and some quickness. Hopefully this fight helps him realize it and he returns to something more along what he was doing before (in fighting style, training and in appearance, damn, lose the scraggles on the beard, Jim!)

Jones still has some interesting fights (Gustaffson, perhaps Silva in a mega-fight, etc.), but you're probably right that the LHW who can beat him isn't fighting in UFC right now. I heard some hypotheticals on Jones bumping up to fight Cain. That would be awesome. That would be quite the task for Jones, though, but if he were to pull it off, wow. But that's a long time from now, if it ever happens.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:28 PM   #2909
PilotMan
Head Coach

Jacare just put a Camozzi out in 3 seconds. Fastest time to unconsciousness that I've seen in MMA from a choke. Damn. If he hadn't lost to Rockhold he would've been in the title picture by now. If Rockhold wins I'd say he has earned his shot as well.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #2910
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

If Jacare continues to improve his stand up he's gonna be just unstoppable. His wrestling is nothing short of amazing
Old 05-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #2911
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Really wanna see a Rockhold win here
Old 05-18-2013, 09:43 PM   #2912
PilotMan
Head Coach

Yeah, me too.

Like Steam?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:47 PM   #2913
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Well that didn't work out too well....
Old 05-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #2914
PilotMan
Head Coach

I'm so fucking sick of Belfort. Rockhold is right about him when it comes to TRT.

Like Steam?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2915
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I hate Belfort, he seems to hang around just enough to get title shots but then always gets exposed.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:59 PM   #2916
kingfc22
Head Coach

Nice KO by Junior Dos Santos using the reverse spin kick.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 AM   #2917
Suicane75
Coordinator

I thought the Bigfoot/Cain fight was stopped absurdly early but I don't doubt Cain would have finished him anyway. Really stoked for Cain/JDS 3, almost rooting for Junior so we can get a 4th fight because I really think they're the top 2 heavyweights in UFC by a mile.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #2918
AlexB
Pro Starter

Gross photo of Mark Hunt's infected leg

Morning Horror: Mark Hunt's infected leg - Fighters Only
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #2919
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it got mentioned elsewhere but ... Rampage Jackson now has joined both Bellator and TNA Wrestling.
Old 06-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #2920
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
Gross photo of Mark Hunt's infected leg

Morning Horror: Mark Hunt's infected leg - Fighters Only

Damn, that is vile
Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #2921
BYU 14
Coordinator

That's what you get for being a Clown Silva, KTFO!!!

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-06-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #2922
spleen1015
Coordinator

Whoops.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #2923
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Weidman won't have the reign that Anderson did, but he is going to make quite a few defenses of that title. Weidman is a monster.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:44 PM   #2924
BYU 14
Coordinator

Yeah he is, really heavy hands and he is still learning the craft too.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 PM   #2925
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
That's what you get for being a Clown Silva, KTFO!!!

Yup - what an idiot!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #2926
Travis
Pro Rookie

Interesting night. Not the first time Silva has done that to an opponent, but the first time it's cost him. I'm curious to see what the reaction is going to be in the next little while and how people will view him now that he's not only been defeated, but done so in a way that doesn't truly represent his skill as a fighter.

I've never been a big Silva fan, but I'd love to see a focused Silva in a rematch. If this is what causes him to approach every fight in an "end it as soon as possible" approach rather than all the, let's call it showmanship, then maybe it'll end up being a net positive.

I also find it interesting that the knock on GSP is that he doesn't have the killer instinct to finish guys, but you can never really knock his work ethic in a match. Silva is known as a finisher, but has been more than willing to let fights drag out (sometimes to a decision) rather than to impose his will in a fight at all times. Granted, I can't see GSP being considered the top P4P guy unless Jones loses before he does at this point, but always been a bit surprised that GSP seems to get ragged on so much for his style while Silva usually got a free pass for his.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #2927
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

you clown enough times, you eventually GET clowned.

and he's said that he's got ten fights left, but they won't be for the title.. (IE, expect the GSP or Jones superfights)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:30 AM   #2928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
and he's said that he's got ten fights left, but they won't be for the title.. (IE, expect the GSP or Jones superfights)

I dunno, I kinda liked Dana saying that "those fights are gone".
Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #2929
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Anderson was clearly clowning, but let's not fool ourselves; he has always had a reason for doing that. He wants to fluster guys so that they get involved in stand up fights and no one beats Anderson on his feet, except for tonight.

Anderson knew he needed to stay off of his back against Weidman, so he dared him to make it a striking battle and he didn't pull it out. It's an absurdly cocky strategy that finally blew up in his face.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #2930
molson
General Manager

I'm surprised they have highlights and the knockout itself on the front page of ESPN.com, in that its the top story there and UFC is letting them use PPV footage. Or maybe they do that regularly and I've never noticed.

Last edited by molson : 07-07-2013 at 01:50 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #2931
Dutch
"Dutch"

It's not actually the act of knocking him out...you have to still pay for that, I guess.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #2932
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Anderson was clearly clowning, but let's not fool ourselves; he has always had a reason for doing that. He wants to fluster guys so that they get involved in stand up fights and no one beats Anderson on his feet, except for tonight.

Anderson knew he needed to stay off of his back against Weidman, so he dared him to make it a striking battle and he didn't pull it out. It's an absurdly cocky strategy that finally blew up in his face.

Yup, he's a counterpuncher. He almost never starts the confrontation. So he puts his chin out and makes the guys reach and then he gets in his open punch that he wanted.

Sure he looks like an idiot and it's really dumb but he's getting exactly what he wants.

I remember about 2-3 years ago he would just sit there and wait for the opponent to start, one fight they literally went an entire round without either guy throwing a real punch. It was the most boring fight ever. I guess this was his way of getting his opponents to do what he wanted them to do.

I'm definitely glad that this happened though, although it may prompt him to go back to his "wait forever" strategy which will bore us all to death.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:32 AM   #2933
Dutch
"Dutch"

Anderson Silva (Spider) knocked out by Weidman - YouTube
Old 07-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #2934
Suicane75
Coordinator

I'd be extremely angry if I paid for that show last night. I get that Silva has a style, but he treated that fight like a joke and I don't think it proved anything. If there is a rematch it ought to be on free TV. And if, after this, he ever pulls any of that crap in a fight again I hope Dana cuts him before he can wake up.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #2935
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
UFC 168: Weidman vs Silva II takes place December 28th at MGM Grand Garden Arena! Rousey vs Tate will be the co-main event!

Just announced

Like Steam?

Old 07-13-2013, 11:29 PM   #2936
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Just announced

I love that they decided to keep those fights together. That may be worth a Vegas trip.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #2937
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love that they decided to keep those fights together. That is worth a Vegas trip.

Fixed it for you
Old 08-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #2938
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I love that they decided to keep those fights together. That may be worth a Vegas trip.

Seriously. That's fucking worth it.

IDK why I'm not there tonight in Boston though...
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #2939
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wonder how much those tickets go for...
Old 08-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #2940
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aaah - probably in the neighborhood of $200
Old 08-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #2941
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I love the in cage ground angle cam shots tonight.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #2942
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Man - it looked like that one nasty knee from Overeem to Browne's body could have broken a fucking rib. Brutal.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #2943
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

That was a pretty quick stoppage.

I hate when the stoppages are so quick like that...they don't even give the guy a chance to defend himself really. Like he got hit with 2 punches after he went down...no time to even protect himself.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-17-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:37 PM   #2944
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't agree with that. Once you allow more than a couple free shots to a guy who may or may not be conscious, we are going to see somebody's funeral IMO. That was a perfectly appropriate stoppage and Overeem didn't look like he was complaining all that much
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #2945
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't agree with that. Once you allow more than a couple free shots to a guy who may or may not be conscious, we are going to see somebody's funeral IMO. That was a perfectly appropriate stoppage and Overeem didn't look like he was complaining all that much

juuuuuuuuuust kidding
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:22 AM   #2946
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

Oh I agree it's a fine line. Just seemed like that was pretty quick to me. But then again I wasn't in the octagon there to see how hard any of those strikes (or the kick even) landed.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #2947
Suicane75
Coordinator

Overeem had 3 chances to defend himself, and he wasn't doing a good job of it.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:48 AM   #2948
Dutch
"Dutch"

Yup, defend yourself at all times or you will get.a stoppage. It was the right time.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #2949
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
That was a pretty quick stoppage.

I hate when the stoppages are so quick like that...they don't even give the guy a chance to defend himself really. Like he got hit with 2 punches after he went down...no time to even protect himself.

If you watch the replay the ref actually blocks yet another un slowed shot to the face, and even then overheem didn't get his hands up to block.

He was out. And it's a shame, because he has much more of a chance fighting up the ladder than Brown, IMhO
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #2950
Suicane75
Coordinator

Not off the gas he don't.