Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #2201
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, the temperature drop is going to be real here.

It's 56 degrees right now, the forecasted real feel temperature tonight per AccuWeather? -16 degrees. Eek.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:27 AM   #2202
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

NW Iowa. Currently -8 below with -35 windchill. It's warmed up a bit from yesterday when I was out running the snowblower.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:24 PM   #2203
Swaggs
Coordinator

We are at 2 now with “feels like” -19. This is supposed to be the bottom (going up to 4 tonight). Hope everyone is staying safe!
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:30 PM   #2204
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

There is nothing worse than getting power back and then it goes on and off for a half hour, then everyone loses it for good again and they reset the start of the outage to 1:10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:47 PM   #2205
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Supposed to be 59 next weekend. Right now we are at -3
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 02:53 PM   #2206
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Why is global warming a bad thing again?
Old 12-23-2022, 03:39 PM   #2207
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

There is 100 vehicle pile up in Ohio. Multiple causality reported.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:58 PM   #2208
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
There is 100 vehicle pile up in Ohio. Multiple causality reported.

how sad
Old 12-23-2022, 09:29 PM   #2209
PilotMan
Head Coach

KY going to make the news tomorrow for sure:

FYI. To ALL northbound traffic I-71 62 mm Kentucky. If you plan on going north of the 62 mile marker (glencoe exit) TURN AROUND. A detour will be set up shortly directing ALL traffic off 62 and back to 71 south. It is unsafe to allow more traffic north of the 62 because too many semis are getting stuck and disabled to get up the hill near the 64 mile marker and have no resources available to assist trucks. And the secondary roads around the glencoe area are worse than 71

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 09:31 PM   #2210
PilotMan
Head Coach

My son was out today on the interstates and it took him almost 2.5 hours for a 1 hr drive and had to get off the interstate. He said semis were jackknifing and could not get up the hills, and were overheating the engines. Said he saw at least a couple dozen cars off the road as well. It's been a rough go of it in the hilly country.

Like Steam?

Old 12-23-2022, 09:36 PM   #2211
PilotMan
Head Coach

Actually just scroll through some of the posts in this group from this evening. It's rather scary knowing how cold it's going to get tonight.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1808182542611668/

Like Steam?

Old 12-23-2022, 09:41 PM   #2212
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
KY going to make the news tomorrow for sure:

FYI. To ALL northbound traffic I-71 62 mm Kentucky. If you plan on going north of the 62 mile marker (glencoe exit) TURN AROUND. A detour will be set up shortly directing ALL traffic off 62 and back to 71 south. It is unsafe to allow more traffic north of the 62 because too many semis are getting stuck and disabled to get up the hill near the 64 mile marker and have no resources available to assist trucks. And the secondary roads around the glencoe area are worse than 71

And I-75N in Grant County is now shut down due to a multi-vehicle wreck. That's at least the 4th one on I-64, 75 or 71 today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-23-2022 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 10:59 PM   #2213
PilotMan
Head Coach

The road in question is between Northern Kentucky and the racetrack about halfway to Louisville. Saying they expect the road to be closed 12-18 hours. People are heading to exit ramps and offering to help those who are stranded if they leave their vehicles. It's pretty harrowing stuff.

Like Steam?

Old 12-24-2022, 07:08 AM   #2214
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
One of my neighbors who recently moved from up north is pissed that the local Burlington store does not have coats to keep people warn in freezing temperatures.

Just a reminder for people moving to Florida. Don't throw away your winter coats thinking you won't need them when you move. It is also the reason you see all those pictures of native or long term resident Floridians with parka coats on when the temperature "drops" to sixty degrees. That coat has to work for everything sixty and below.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:35 AM   #2215
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty dang cold north of Atlanta. Our electric company sent out an email. Said the system was being stressed and to limit unnecessary use.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 08:50 AM   #2216
Thomkal
Head Coach

4 degrees with the windchill here in Myrtle this morning. Thankfully I did not have to go out in it.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:03 AM   #2217
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Just a reminder for people moving to Florida. Don't throw away your winter coats thinking you won't need them when you move. It is also the reason you see all those pictures of native or long term resident Floridians with parka coats on when the temperature "drops" to sixty degrees. That coat has to work for everything sixty and below.

Also a reminder that Burlington Coat Factory no longer sells coats. A few years ago, they decided to become a poor Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx ripoff. I used to find some decent stuff there on occasion, both coats and work clothes. I've been in 2 in the past 3-4 years and they have NOTHING that anyone should want to buy.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-24-2022 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:00 AM   #2218
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Made it from NY to KY yesterday, but it was dicey at times. The wind on top of Sideling Hill in MD was crazy and the roads in KY are still awful.

Merry Christmas to all of you that may be traveling today or tomorrow. Take care.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:10 AM   #2219
Ksyrup

Old 12-24-2022, 11:22 AM   #2220
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We were on 64 in KY when that alarm when off and it scared the shit out of us.
Old 12-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #2221
miked
College Starter

I think my condensate line froze here, which is weird since I'm sure people in the North have condensate lines and do not have issues all the time. Ended up having to run to Lowes at 9:55pm and grab some new tubing so I can run it from my furnace to our sump pump a few feet away.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:21 PM   #2222
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Also a reminder that Burlington Coat Factory no longer sells coats. A few years ago, they decided to become a poor Ross/Marshalls/TJ Maxx ripoff. I used to find some decent stuff there on occasion, both coats and work clothes. I've been in 2 in the past 3-4 years and they have NOTHING that anyone should want to buy.

I had a very similar experience. I got a nice dress coat there years ago for a really good price. I went to replace it a couple years ago, and coat store basically didn’t have a good selection of coats. It seemed really stupid. I have not been back since.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:09 PM   #2223
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My boss is driving home from Kentucky today. He said they are moving slowly but moving. I think I would have held out till Monday.

GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:12 PM   #2224
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Keep em away from the Power Generators!!
Old 12-24-2022, 01:45 PM   #2225
Thomkal
Head Coach

Made the trip out to the mailbox and sweeped the front steps from all the pine straw that accumulated there yesterday. 22 with the windchill, and glad the mail was there so I didn't have to go back
Old 12-28-2022, 04:52 PM   #2226
Ksyrup

Well, the cold is officially out of Kentucky. We start a 7-10 day period where we may not touch freezing, even for a low. Friday we're supposed to be around 60. Compared to last Friday, this Friday will feel about 90 degrees warmer! Crazy.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 12-28-2022 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:21 PM   #2227
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Yeah, I was out with the dog in Morehead today and it was lovely.
Old 12-28-2022, 05:33 PM   #2228
Ksyrup

Even last night when it was mid-30s, it felt ... not warm, but way better than it had in several days. The sun today was a nice bonus.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:11 PM   #2229
Ksyrup

Quote:
Well, the cold is officially out of Kentucky. We start a 7-10 day period where we may not touch freezing, even for a low. Friday we're supposed to be around 60. Compared to last Friday, this Friday will feel about 90 degrees warmer! Crazy.

Forget 60 today - we hit 69! Broke the record high temp (set in 1875) by 2 degrees. One week ago, we were at -32 wind chill.
Old 12-30-2022, 09:49 PM   #2230
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Forget 60 today - we hit 69! Broke the record high temp (set in 1875) by 2 degrees. One week ago, we were at -32 wind chill.

That's nuts!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:22 PM   #2231
Edward64
Head Coach

High 50s in the Atlanta area today. No to little wind.

It'll get warmer through early next week in the high 60s. It should be good New Years weather ... maybe I'll break out the grill.
Old 01-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #2232
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
High 50s in the Atlanta area today. No to little wind.

It'll get warmer through early next week in the high 60s. It should be good New Years weather ... maybe I'll break out the grill.

And now tornado warnings for the Atlanta area (and plenty of the rest of the south). Getting sick of these weather swings

Last edited by bob : 01-03-2023 at 01:46 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 01:48 PM   #2233
Thomkal
Head Coach

In the 70s today, back in shorts for my walk
Old 01-03-2023, 01:50 PM   #2234
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
And now tornado warnings for the Atlanta area (and plenty of the rest of the south). Getting sick of these weather swings

Made me look. You’re right.

Overcast but looks (and feels) fine
Old 01-03-2023, 02:11 PM   #2235
Ksyrup

We had overnight tornadoes in KY with major storms last night into this morning. I drove to work and it was harrowing. Saw 4 accidents and drove into a car wash - I felt like I had driven into the shallow end of a pool. All I could do was brake and pray as I saw a torrent of water and blurry red lights in front of me. When we came out of it, there were 3 cars on the side of the road on the right side in an accident, one down an embankment. That was a shitty drive.

The drive home should be better...
Old 01-04-2023, 11:13 AM   #2236
Ksyrup

Pretty cool, even though it looks like a third-rate hair metal band's pyro show.

Old 01-04-2023, 11:35 AM   #2237
Edward64
Head Coach

Wowser

I like all the comments from the news asking for permission to use the footage
Old 01-13-2023, 09:06 AM   #2238
Ksyrup

Active day in Kentucky yesterday. Not quite as active/deadly as south of us, but it's not every day you have an earthquake and tornado in basically the same area. We live about 30 minutes from the earthquake epicenter (didn't feel anything) and about 45 minutes from the tornado. We were under a tornado warning and sirens were going off from about 9:30 to 10:30am.

Old 01-24-2023, 09:23 PM   #2239
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

One of the nastiest tornadoes in a long time hit Houston today

A memorable day of severe weather for parts of the Houston area – Space City Weather

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:03 PM   #2240
Ksyrup

When we traveled to the NE in July of 2021, we stayed about a week in New Hampshire and took the cog railway up to the top of Mt. Washington. They talked about how bad the weather could get during the winter.

THIS is, uh, pretty bad.

Old 02-03-2023, 03:16 PM   #2241
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Looks like another planet
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 03:39 PM   #2242
Thomkal
Head Coach

I know they have weather stations there, but man hope they are unmanned today with that wind.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:48 PM   #2243
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Twenty years ago I did a planned 3-day winter hike up-and-over Washington with my Uncle & a cousin (and also a guide and other folks). We got up to Adams on the first day and camped in the snow, which was a blast.

However, the next day there was so much wind that although it was a clear day, you couldn't see on the eastern edge of the mountains, where the cliffsides were. Plenty of people have died doing similar winter hikes up there where they just walk off the edge of a cliff.

Anyway, we checked the weather report, saw that it wasn't going to get better, and spent the day climbing down via another route. Still fun, though.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 06:49 PM   #2244
Ksyrup

I'm pretty sure that was the place that had a framed map with a list of people who had died or gone missing on the mountain. It was like 150-175 people, I think?

That list went back to the 1800s, but still.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-03-2023 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:43 PM   #2245
Kodos
Resident Alien

It’s 7 degrees and windy here.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:29 PM   #2246
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Lowest Windchill in 50 years here tonight, supposed to feel like -48 in my town tonight.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:48 PM   #2247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I’m about 2 miles as the crow flies from the Atlantic and the wind is howling like crazy.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:51 PM   #2248
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Last edited by JPhillips : 02-03-2023 at 09:52 PM.
JPhillips is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #2249
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

FINALLY got my coolant leak fixed
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 10:26 PM   #2250
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Looks like another planet