Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-08-2009, 10:37 AM   #151
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I will actually be really pissed if either Rita or Deb dies. I just think the relationships Dexter has with them are so central to the person he is. They are the only thing that grounds him to the real world as opposed to the Dexter emotionless world.

I would be very surprised if Rita dies, they have focused so much on his not being around this year, I'm not sure him being a single dad really makes things believable.

I can see them killing LaGuerta, just got married, etc...

I just don't think it is necessary to kill a main character off this season ans I think it could really hurt the shows chemistry in the long run.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #152
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'd be amazed if they kill off Deb, I would bet on her finding out about Dexter's true side being a main story line down the road.

Last edited by Travis : 12-08-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM   #153
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I'd be amazed if they kill off Deb, I would put bet on her finding out about Dexter's true side being a main story line down the road.

Same here. I'll be surprised if they don't work that for a few episodes at least.

I think either Rita or Cody gets killed and either one will hurt Dexter much more than he realized it would.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:03 PM   #154
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

I would do a dance if they off LaGuerta. I actually get angry whenever there's a scene with her and Bautista. Bad writing, boring characters, nobody cares.

I'd be happy if Rita gets killed, though I'd miss Julie Benz.

I've always disliked Deb, but can't see them killing her. I'm more in line with thinking she'll 'figure out' Dexter to some degree and that'll set up the next season.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 01:47 PM   #155
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

I think either Rita or Cody gets killed and either one will hurt Dexter much more than he realized it would.

I just can't see Dexter being a single dad, eventhough his Dad was, som maybe there is something to it.

I dunno about Cody, that would be really messed up.

I could see a situation where Cody gets kidnapped to replace the boy Dexter saved and Dexter rescues him.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #156
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I just can't see Dexter being a single dad, eventhough his Dad was, som maybe there is something to it.

I dunno about Cody, that would be really messed up.

I could see a situation where Cody gets kidnapped to replace the boy Dexter saved and Dexter rescues him.

Yeah, Dexter would have a very hard time as a single dad, I'd imagine. Deb would have to step up big time to help him out.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:10 PM   #157
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Yeah, Dexter would have a very hard time as a single dad, I'd imagine. Deb would have to step up big time to help him out.

To me that changes the whole dynamic of the show.

What would be the point of killing Rita? To show Dexter loves her? To me that isn't the character the writers want to portray Dexter as.

Now they may do it for shock value, but to me that would fundamentaly change the show, and in a bad way.

If a main player goes my money is on Quinn.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #158
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
To me that changes the whole dynamic of the show.

What would be the point of killing Rita? To show Dexter loves her? To me that isn't the character the writers want to portray Dexter as.

Now they may do it for shock value, but to me that would fundamentaly change the show, and in a bad way.

If a main player goes my money is on Quinn.

I agree with everything you said, except I think they do want to portray the evolution of Dexter. If he never changes, he becomes somewhat boring. I loved seeing him punch that neighbor out last night, and the realization to him of what it meant.

I hope they don't kill Deb or Rita, but I think those would be the 2 most shocking kills besides Cody. I wouldn't mind Quinn or LaGuerta dying.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:27 PM   #159
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I agree with everything you said, except I think they do want to portray the evolution of Dexter. If he never changes, he becomes somewhat boring. I loved seeing him punch that neighbor out last night, and the realization to him of what it meant.

I thought that was awesome.

I agree with him evolving, but wouldn't killing Rita kind of nueter that?
Old 12-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #160
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
I would do a dance if they off LaGuerta. I actually get angry whenever there's a scene with her and Bautista. Bad writing, boring characters, nobody cares.

I'd be happy if Rita gets killed, though I'd miss Julie Benz.

I've always disliked Deb, but can't see them killing her. I'm more in line with thinking she'll 'figure out' Dexter to some degree and that'll set up the next season.

She is a race baiting whore. I wish they would have killed her in the first season like the book did. She serves no purpose other than to anger me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #161
Bad-example
College Starter

After giving some more thought, the idea of killing off Rita does make some sense. Turning Dex into a single father like his dad fits, plus Rita has a mysterious first husband that could appear next year to attempt to claim his children.

I still believe that Dexter getting a divorce is the most consistent move. Dex has come to realize the dangers he presents to his family and must back off to ultimately save them.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #162
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think Rita's first husband was her baby daddy. Now Dexter could have serious custody problems with Paul's parents.

Another thought I had is that Arthur might survive. Dexter might feel that the kill is too risky, especially if there is an extortion complaint filed. As far as Arthur knows, Dexter has no idea he is trinity. Or maybe Arthur has his daughter come forward with a claim of molestation.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #163
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Shit

Good ending.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:12 PM   #164
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

awwwww sheeeeiiiiit!
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #165
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Just finished it on the DVR and I'm speechless. A tremendous ending. Thanks for all the above for not spoiling it but instead for motivating me to get around to watching the episode with your brief comments.

Man, oh, man.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:11 PM   #166
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Am I the only one annoyed with LaGuerta and Batista held hands as they walked out of the room after the FBI took over?

That was so lame.. who holds hands at work?

edit: annoyed is the wrong word.. but jeez, it's horrible how much screen time their relationship got. I really enjoyed Batista and the stripper/cop lady's relationship; but laguerta and him had the complete opposite effect, straight from the get-go.

Quinn's character really felt like there should have been more to it in the end.. but really, he didn't add much to the show other than his Ray Liotta looks and playing tough guy a few times....... also being trinity's daughter's boyfriend.

Last edited by mauchow : 12-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:10 PM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I guess with the way the boat scene was shot I was suspecting that maybe dex was gonna get caught in the act.

Though the Kyle Butler stuff should be interesting if Dex has to explain the activities.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:32 PM   #168
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

boo

good ending but still pretty crazy.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #169
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
Just finished it on the DVR and I'm speechless. A tremendous ending. Thanks for all the above for not spoiling it but instead for motivating me to get around to watching the episode with your brief comments.

Man, oh, man.

I would never come into this thread between the time I DVR'd it and the time I watched it.

We watched it last night on the DVR. I wish they hadn't advertised a shocking death the week before. I think if they hadn't, the finale would have really surprised me and moved me more. As it was, I still thought it was an excellent ending to the season and I look forward to the many implications and potential story lines for next year.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:18 AM   #170
timmynausea
College Starter

Pretty good finale and a pretty good season. From an acting and general production stand point, I think the show was always good and has steadily gotten better. I mean, it wasn't all that long ago that shows like the X-Files and Twin Peaks were considered cutting edge cinematography and etc. for TV. I think stylewise Dexter is really awesome, especially for a TV show.

From a writing standpoint, though, it seems a little less inspired than it was, which makes sense. I mean, this is the third season in a row that they've gone with the "introduce major guest star that Dexter will kill at the end of the season" formula (may as well be known as the Tony Soprano method.) Plus Quinn was very likely introduced with the intent of eventually becoming the next Doakes, which looks pretty formulaic as well. Somewhere in there, they started getting sloppy with it, and reading through this thread, it seems that more and more people are seeing some of the cracks.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #171
Travis
Pro Rookie

I guess I'm one of the few that is disappointed? The entire finale (and a lot of the season) smacked of convenience to me (in terms of the writing).

I mean, as mentioned above, how does Batista not at least somewhat recognize the picture of Arthur after being inches from him not all that long before? How does Arthur get free reign to wander into an investigation room?

Rita forgetting her ID when heading to the airport? And why doesn't Dexter notice her vehicle when he comes home (or if she had taken a cab, why wouldn't the driver have noticed something amiss assuming she'd have him wait as she was just running in to get her purse)?

Why does nobody notice somebody following them? Especially Arthur after his confrontation with Dexter in the police station, who then see's Dexter in the parking lot as he's leaving?

Where did Dexter park when he went to pay Arthur's family a visit? How did Deb (or anybody else who knows Dexter) not notice his vehicle? Is anybody really buying him beating SWAT into the garage? And to be honest, why didn't they just have Dexter leave the house prior to SWAT arriving, maybe having Dexter see the vehicles heading that way a few blocks away and realizing how lucky he was to have gotten out of there just in time?

And I may have just missed it, but how did Arthur end up finding Rita? Obviously he went to Dexter's old place only to find mail for Deb, but how was he so sure that this place was Dexter's? I don't have a recording for it so can't double check when Arthur pulled up the list of addresses, but given how compressed his time frame was to get to the house (another amazing coincidence that the small window Arthur had was the exact time Rita showed up to get her ID). Wouldn't the house still be listed under Rita's name anyway? Or did I miss another "follow somebody who'll never notice you're there" scene and glaze over how he'd have uncovered Dexter's residence?

I really wanted to like the finale, but it left me feeling a lot like season 3 of BSG did. I'm hoping they can bounce back and I'm considering rewatching the finale to see if I can find clue's that will answer some of my questions, but as of right now, yeah, not pleased.

Double so when I read an article today and the Rita kill off was essentially done just so they'd have a surprise. I guess I had hoped that they'd have a bit more foresight storyline wise and reading this makes me think that the ramifications of killing her off may not have been fully thought through (so far as how they'll have to approach things next season). Could be a quick fix that really comes back to bite them in the ass.

'Dexter' finale postmortem: Find out why they [spoiler alert]! | Ausiello | EW.com
Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 PM   #172
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassmonkey32 View Post
I hope the ending was a dream. Dexter sure has a lot to explain.

Didn't Batista see Trinity talking to Dexter at the police station? I am surprise Batista did not say anything when the they reveal the picture of Trinity.

If the ending was a dream I will be done with this show. You cannot cop out like that.

Decent finale but I am with Travis, pretty underwhelming.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:37 AM   #173
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Just watched the season finale. I was actually kind of sad for Dexter. It's weird, because I'm not normally like that about TV shows...but I actually felt sorry for Dexter's character. Weird.

Anyway, I thought this was the best season since season one. I'd rank the seasons (from best to worst) as 1,4,2,3. I think you have to just suspend disbelief on this one. I dunno. Travis definitely brought up many good points. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Like, they're talking to Trinity's family in the station and they point to a picture of Dexter and they say "your husband killed his wife today!" Then they look at each other and say "That's Kyle."

Again, that would probably never happen...but just another "inconsistency" that could happen.

I really enjoyed this season and John Lithgow was an excellent choice for Trinity. Sad there will be no more Dexter for 8 months

Favorite line of the season?

"Shut up cunt."

Hilarious

Last edited by kingnebwsu : 12-20-2009 at 12:37 AM.
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #174
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I thought it would have been a good story line for Rita to catch Dexter, he comes clean with his entire story and she accepts him and helps provide cover for him in the future.

Oh well.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think 4 was the weakest season by far. 1 had the best story IMO. I prefer 3 to 2 merely cause Smits was amazing.

Of course a weak season of Dexter is still way better than almost every other show out there.

Last edited by stevew : 12-21-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #176
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

^I agree with every letter of this post. Apart from the typo

Last edited by Jughead Spock : 12-21-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #177
gkb
High School Varsity

I just finished up watching all of season four over the weekend. I thought it was solid and I'm really looking forward to season five. A lot of posters above raise really good points about inconsistencies and what's going to happen next. I vaguely remember being annoyed by Deb during the first two seasons, but I thought she was much more likable in season four. And damn, she's got some cut up abs.

I didn't know they had teased that the finale would have a major character dying so Rita's death was a shock. I can't see how Dexter can pull off the single-dad routine, not with the hours he "works".

I never watched season three - I'm going to have to check that one out.
Old 07-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #178
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

IMO Season 3 is the worst, but still awesome.

I just started reading the book the show was based on, it so far follows the season 1 story line pretty closely.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:17 PM   #179
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Season 5 starts on Sept 26. that's only 2 months from now basically!!!

And the fucks at showtime decided to move Californication to January this year. Way to try to get me to have Showtime for more than 3 months of the year.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Trailer for season 5

Old 07-25-2010, 03:34 PM   #181
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Cool. I can't wait.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #182
Kodos
Resident Alien

Might have to sign up for Showtime just to get this. (We finally caught up after last season.)
Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #183
Bad-example
College Starter

The wiki had some stuff about the coming season (Sept 26)...a little spoiler-ish.

Spoiler
Old 08-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #184
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

My mom had Dexter recommended to her recently(not by me). So this should be interesting. She'll be starting season 1 shortly.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #185
Kodos
Resident Alien

DirecTV is offering $25 if you order the Showtime unlimited package right now. The package is $11.01 per month right now, so you're in effect getting a little over 2 months free. We signed up so we can watch the upcoming season of Dexter, and will likely cancel once the season is over.
Old 09-24-2010, 09:29 PM   #186
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Just watched that trailer and I have to say, I am not really excited for the upcoming season. As Travis said, Quinn=Doakes and this season is looking like family drama and past mistakes coming how to roost rather than cool, fresh stuff.

I'll still watch it, of course...
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM   #187
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think Quinn will be closer to another Smits than another Doakes.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #188
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I thought tonight's episode was amazing.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #189
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:

I'll go +1 on that.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #190
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Was that the Season 6 Premiere?
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:16 PM   #191
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
Was that the Season 6 Premiere?

Season 5 Premiere.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:18 AM   #192
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

+1 powerful stuff
Old 09-27-2010, 12:20 AM   #193
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno why I was less than impressed. Maybe I need to rewatch.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #194
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Tonight's episode had so many great moments. Best show on TV.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I dunno why I feel differently. My bro and I were talking about how it seems to have badly jumped the shark. How many f'n serial murderers live in Miami Dade? It is starting to get too repetitive. Maybe it will get better for me. I hope so. And the Bautista/LaGuerda stuff is tiresome. Let them run off in the sunset. Their story here is done.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #196
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I agree the Bautista/LaGuerda stuff is annoying. But, I thought the scenes between Dexter and Astor were incredible. Some very moving scenes for me tonight.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #197
stevew
Hall Of Famer

My new running theory is that the animal guy is actually an alt personality of Dex. Like a Tyler Durden. All this talk of Rita being his last link to humanity is now revealing his alt personalities that were suppressed. Probably wrong though.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:35 AM   #198
Bigsmooth
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
My new running theory is that the animal guy is actually an alt personality of Dex. Like a Tyler Durden. All this talk of Rita being his last link to humanity is now revealing his alt personalities that were suppressed. Probably wrong though.

Shit man. That just blew my mind. Would be a very interesting angle.
Bigsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:48 PM   #199
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

While I like this show, I was never a huge fan. This season is shaping up to easily be the best yet though. Really enjoying it. There just always seemed to be too many "eye roll" moments, but I think the writing this season has been much better so far.

Quote:
I agree the Bautista/LaGuerda stuff is annoying. But, I thought the scenes between Dexter and Astor were incredible. Some very moving scenes for me tonight.

I kind of agree. The romances in the first 2 or 3 seasons were just so god awfully horrible, this just pales in comparison.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-18-2010 at 07:50 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #200
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I still am not a fan. Seems to be equal story line parts of season 2 and 3. With a few new ideas mixed in.