Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-09-2022, 07:10 AM   #1301
Edward64
Head Coach

Saw this video on reddit, supposedly a Russian shaming clip. I haven't seen any other articles on it so not sure if its real. But if it's real, I'm thinking WTF, is this really being played in Russia?

'Boys have left, men have stayed.' Best russian propagandist cringe of the year, right? : NonCredibleDefense
Quote:
'Boys have left, men have stayed.' Best russian propagandist cringe of the year, right?
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:47 AM   #1302
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty terrifying (but yet fascinating) video clip compilation of HIMARS testing and the results. It's pretty (?) in slo-mo but can't imagine being on the other end of one of these.

Quote:
160,000-182,000 tungsten balls literally perforating everything in close proximity. This is what the M30A1 missile of the HIMARS launcher is capable of.
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1601715915317743619
Old 12-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #1303
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Viktor Bout: Freed Russian arms dealer "wholeheartedly" supports Ukraine war | CNN

Just a reminder about the right hand turn CNN has taken. On the front page of their international page is the story "Freed Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout says he ‘wholeheartedly’ supports Ukraine war and would volunteer if he could". It doesn't seem front page newsworthy that arms dealer is in favor or war, that he publicly supports the war led by the man who just did a high profile hostage swap for you, or that he isn't speaking out against a government that likes to publicly suicide people that speak out against them.

Where did they get such a hard hitting piece of journalism? Russian state media company RT. So, CNN is parroting Russia state controlled media without context - a tv station that is banned in pretty much all of the western world.

And who was asking these difficult questions on state-controlled media? Martina Butina, who the article describes as "a Russian gun-rights enthusiast-turned TV personality" as opposed to a more accurate title like "convicted Russian spy".

Just a reminder for the "Remember when people just reported the facts like in the 50s" crowd. Near as I can tell, there's nothing in that article that is factually incorrect. But missing context makes it very misleading. Which facts were selected paints a very particular picture. And the fact that this specific article is still on the front page of the site a few days later is just carrying water for the Russian state and amplifying their message.

"See? Rabble, rabble? That arms dealer that was played by Nic Cage and was traded for some /spit/ stoner women's basketball player is going right back (sic) to destroying Ukraine. Even leftist rag CNN is talking about it?!?"

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #1304
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Viktor Bout: Freed Russian arms dealer "wholeheartedly" supports Ukraine war | CNN

Just a reminder about the right hand turn CNN has taken. On the front page of their international page is the story "Freed Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout says he ‘wholeheartedly’ supports Ukraine war and would volunteer if he could". It doesn't seem front page newsworthy that arms dealer is in favor or war, that he publicly supports the war led by the man who just did a high profile hostage swap for you, or that he isn't speaking out against a government that likes to publicly suicide people that speak out against them.

Where did they get such a hard hitting piece of journalism? Russian state media company RT. So, CNN is parroting Russia state controlled media without context - a tv station that is banned in pretty much all of the western world.

And who was asking these difficult questions on state-controlled media? Martina Butina, who the article describes as "a Russian gun-rights enthusiast-turned TV personality" as opposed to a more accurate title like "convicted Russian spy".

Just a reminder for the "Remember when people just reported the facts like in the 50s" crowd. Near as I can tell, there's nothing in that article that is factually incorrect. But missing context makes it very misleading. Which facts were selected paints a very particular picture. And the fact that this specific article is still on the front page of the site a few days later is just carrying water for the Russian state and amplifying their message.

"See? Rabble, rabble? That arms dealer that was played by Nic Cage and was traded for some /spit/ stoner women's basketball player is going right back (sic) to destroying Ukraine. Even leftist rag CNN is talking about it?!?"

SI

Honestly, seems like a normal article to me. What "context" do you believe is missing?

BTW, I first saw the interview on Dec 10. Which probably means it was conducted in Russia the evening before. So my guess is it was only 1 day later accounting for time difference. See below for subtitled version

Maria Butina interviews Viktor Bout after he was exchanged for Brittney Griner - YouTube
Old 12-11-2022, 01:06 PM   #1305
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I like how "context" is in quotes.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 12-11-2022 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 01:53 PM   #1306
Edward64
Head Coach

You read way too much into things. I could have just as easily bolded it (which I do a lot) and you would say the same thing.

Np, don't need a discussion if you don't want it.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-11-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2022, 02:37 PM   #1307
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

We can only read the words on the pages in front of us, how they're presented, and the history of our interactions with those posing the question.

SI

Old 12-11-2022, 03:03 PM   #1308
Edward64
Head Coach

Yup, I would agree and add ...

We definitely would not want to attack, exaggerate, inaccurately state other people's positions etc. especially when one did not read the prior posts for context.
Old 12-12-2022, 11:05 PM   #1309
Edward64
Head Coach

Redditors are reporting that Ukraine has attacked Klyntsy, Russia (close by the border but inside Russia). So in addition to the airbases from a week or two ago, it seems Ukraine is starting to attack inside pre-Feb Russia.

Just as long as they are military targets, think its fair game. But am concerned about Russian response.

Also additional attacks on Melitopol (taken by Russia this year) which is north of Crimea.

So some serious fighting continuing even with Winter now here.
Old 12-13-2022, 01:58 PM   #1310
Edward64
Head Coach

I like the idea of Patriots. Don't really know if it'll be a real game changer but guess it can't hurt.

US finalizing plans to send Patriot missile defense system to Ukraine | CNN Politics
Quote:
The Biden administration is finalizing plans to send the Patriot missile defense system to Ukraine that could be announced as soon as this week, according to two US officials and a senior administration official.
Don't know really how busy the airspace is nowadays but nice if the Patriot can take down helicopters & jets also.

Quote:
The system is widely considered one of the most capable long-range weapons to defend airspace against incoming ballistic and cruise missiles as well as some aircraft. Because of its long-range and high-altitude capability, it can potentially shoot down Russian missiles and aircraft far from their intended targets inside Ukraine.
Old 12-13-2022, 04:01 PM   #1311
Edward64
Head Coach

I've seen plenty footage of drones dropping grenades but this is the first time I've seen the kamikaze drones. Pretty scary

Quote:
Ukrainian kamikaze drones vs Russian invaders.
https://twitter.com/worldonalert/sta...V6a1f30-Q&s=19
Old 12-15-2022, 10:34 AM   #1312
Edward64
Head Coach

Some brinkmanship going on.

Russia Shares Provocative Video of ICBM Being Loaded Into Silo Launcher
Quote:
Russia's defense ministry shared a video of a intercontinental ballistic missile being loaded into a launch silo, days after reports surfaced that the US is preparing to send an advanced Patriot air defense system to Ukraine.

The Russian ministry shared the video on Telegram on Thursday, saying that it showed the loading of an "intercontinental ballistic missile into silo launcher" in Kozelsk, a town in western Russia.

It claimed the missile was a "Yars," which has a nuclear warhead. Russia previously fired a Yars missile in October, as part of a test conducted by the country's nuclear forces.

Russian President Vladimir Putin and his senior officials have threatened the use of nuclear weapons throughout the war in Ukraine, but have cooled their rhetoric in recent weeks.

Putin said last week that Russia had not "gone mad" about their use, and would not be the first country to use them, the BBC reported.

This latest video comes after reports that the US is set to send a Patriot missile defense system to Ukraine.
Old 12-16-2022, 01:34 PM   #1313
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2022, 07:13 AM   #1314
Edward64
Head Coach

I saw that and was wondering could it be real (or some sort of photoshopped, deep fake video). You'd think someone in their media/propaganda dept would've noticed.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:35 AM   #1315
Edward64
Head Coach

There were news reports about Iran sending drones, ammo etc. to Russia. I always assumed it was by plane but apparently there's the Caspian Sea.

Quote:
According British intelligence Iran supplies Russia increasingly by the Caspian Sea. The Russian port of Astrakhan is the landing port for Shaheds and ammunition in general.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #1316
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I saw that and was wondering could it be real (or some sort of photoshopped, deep fake video). You'd think someone in their media/propaganda dept would've noticed.
I don't. Some of the stuff they put out is laughingly bad.
Old 12-17-2022, 08:43 PM   #1317
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm against Russian aggression but feel for the regular Russian people. It's pics/videos like below that really makes you think about the toll on regular people - Ukrainian or Russian.

Quote:
This mother just received word that her son died in Ukraine. The footage speaks for itself.
https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/16...WxM5tb4q3ZmZEA

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-17-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 09:02 PM   #1318
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Saw this video on reddit, supposedly a Russian shaming clip. I haven't seen any other articles on it so not sure if its real. But if it's real, I'm thinking WTF, is this really being played in Russia?

'Boys have left, men have stayed.' Best russian propagandist cringe of the year, right? : NonCredibleDefense

Yup, I guess that clip was for real. More examples below.

Ever since Vietnam, the US has been a volunteer army. The ads I've seen encourage the macho image, patriotism, and the benefits of the GI bill, learning a new skill, challenging oneself etc. In a way, the Russians are doing the same but strangely (for me at least) different types of carrots -- buy a car with the money, win back a girl friend, make more money (same as US), shaming those leaving the country.

Kinda hard to be a volunteer army when already in a war that is seemingly dragging out and, at best, stalemate. Be interesting to see if this really helps Russia ramp up (vs another mobilization/draft).

Ukraine war: Moscow seeks army recruits with new propaganda videos | CNN
Quote:
One of the videos, posted on December 14, features a young man who is choosing to fight instead of partying with his male friends and then surprises everyone by buying himself a car with the money he made from fighting on a military contract.

In another video, posted on December 15, the former girlfriend of a soldier is newly impressed with his courage and begs him to get back together with her.

A further example shows a middle-aged man leaving the factory job that doesn’t pay him enough to sign a military contract and go to the front.

Another of the videos shows a group of 30-something, well-off Russian men loading a car as they are asked by elderly women where are they going. One of the men replies: “To Georgia. Forever.” When one woman spills a bag of groceries, the men just get into the car and leave, instead of helping, while younger Russian men rush to pick up the groceries. “The boys have left, the men stayed,” one of the elderly women concludes.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:37 AM   #1319
Edward64
Head Coach

Interesting news tidbit about US asking Kyiv to not take out a Russian general.

Quote:
Adviser to the Head of the Office of the President of Ukraine Oleksiy Arestovych has confirmed the story by The New York Times on Ukraine trying to assassinate the Head of Russia's General Staff Valery Gerasimov.
Quote:
The New York Times previously published a story on Russia's failures during the full-scale war with Ukraine. In particular, it says that the US intelligence found out about Gerasimov's planned trip to the front line but kept the information from Ukrainians.

“Killing General Gerasimov could sharply escalate the conflict, officials said, and while the Americans were committed to helping Ukraine, they didn't want to set off a war between the United States and Russia,” the NYT investigation reads.

Eventually, Ukraine learned about Gerasimov's trip anyway. According to NYT, “senior American officials asked the Ukrainians to call off the attack”.

Ukrainian servicemen told Americans that their message had arrived too late and they had already begun the attack on Gerasimov' position. According to official information, dozens of Russians were killed in the attack, however, Gerasimov was not among the killed.
There are rumors now that that general has been fired.

UK Intel Airs Rumor That Putin Fired His Top General Gerasimov
Quote:
"Rumours circulating on social media within the last 48 hours suggesting that Russian Chief of the General Staff General Valery Gerasimov could have been fired cannot be verified," said the UK MOD's update.
Old 12-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #1320
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Interesting news tidbit about US asking Kyiv to not take out a Russian general.

There are rumors now that that general has been fired.

UK Intel Airs Rumor That Putin Fired His Top General Gerasimov

Further rumors also state that the Russian general will be replaced by Jeff Saturday who, despite having no military experience, is a self-proclaimed "Leader of Men".
Old 12-18-2022, 08:52 AM   #1321
Edward64
Head Coach

I think there is an argument for the allies to stop (or not support) Ukraine in taking back Crimea. That will definitely be an uptick in escalation and will have dangerous uncertainties. But I personally like the idea.

Quote:
"Ukrainians are ready" — President Volodymyr Zelenskyi announced the operation to de-occupy Crimea.

"I love Crimea. That's why I will gladly come to our Ukrainian de-occupied Crimea on the sea. It would be nice to come there in the summer of 2023," — the president said.

If I was a pro-Russian civilian living in Crimea, I'd make serious plans on leaving or having somewhere else to go to quickly. If I was Zelensky, I'd continue publicly threatening Crimea to cause FUD for the Russians.
Old 12-20-2022, 05:47 AM   #1322
Edward64
Head Coach

Adding to a list of Russian recruitment ads

Quote:
RU channels have been bickering if this recruitment ad is real or a Ukrainian psyop. It shows a grandpa+grandson living in extreme poverty, with the grandson's only solution for saving their old Lada being signing up for the army. Turns out it's a real Russian-made ad.

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/st...20660656644096
Old 12-20-2022, 06:07 AM   #1323
Edward64
Head Coach

Merry Christmas Ukraine. Here's $44.9B for being at the front lines and far exceeding expectations.

Quote:
The bill also includes $44.9 billion in emergency assistance to Ukraine and NATO allies, the Senate committee detailed in its news release.
Old 12-20-2022, 12:17 PM   #1324
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Merry Christmas Ukraine. Here's $44.9B for being at the front lines and far exceeding expectations.

I am about as far from a war hawk as one gets, but this seems like money well spent. Ukraine's resilience is the only thing that has saved the Baltics and Finland, because that was absolutely Putin's next step.

As such, anything that helps Ukraine resist and then rebuild benefits the western world enormously.

I don't know if it's enough. Xi could take Taiwan any day, without warning, and no amount of saber-rattling could stop it - it's too small and too easily cut off. Now we have Japan re-arming for the first time in nearly a century and who knows what North Korea would do if Russia or China asked. Scary world right now - we should be thankful we're nowhere near the front lines... yet.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 02:01 PM   #1325
Edward64
Head Coach

Approx $50B this year, another $50B next year. Unless there is a nuclear war, I agree the $100B is quite a bargain all things considered.

What I've read is China is not yet able to take Taiwan militarily right now. Transports and all that stuff. And just recently, they'll have their hands full with Covid and, of course, example of countries coming together against aggression. But yeah, if China really wanted to squeeze Taiwan and make it happen over 10-20 years, wouldn't surprise me.(I also read an article that Taiwan is having a hard time with its military).

Arguably, the risk/benefits of a military invasion is not that great for Xi. Better play the long game, and squeeze politically & economically. And the western world should lessen its reliance on Taiwan's chips, manufacturing etc.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-20-2022 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #1326
PilotMan
Head Coach

The cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars over 20 years amounts to roughly 822M per day, for 20 years. This is dirt cheap and well worth the expense.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:57 AM   #1327
Edward64
Head Coach

So the Russians may not have been behind Nordstream sabotage after all. I thought the last paragraph was interesting.

(Don't have a subscription but posted what was in reddit)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...am-explosions/
Quote:
But now, after months of investigation, numerous officials privately say that Russia may not be to blame after all for the attack on the Nord Stream pipelines.

“There is no evidence at this point that Russia was behind the sabotage,” said one European official, echoing the assessment of 23 diplomatic and intelligence officials in nine countries interviewed in recent weeks.

Some went so far as to say they didn’t think Russia was responsible.
Others who still consider Russia a prime suspect said positively attributing the attack — to any country — may be impossible.

But even those with inside knowledge of the forensic details don’t conclusively tie Russia to the attack, officials said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to share information about the progress of the investigation, some of which is based on classified intelligence.

The United States routinely intercepts the communications of Russian officials and military forces, a clandestine intelligence effort that helped accurately forecast Moscow’s February invasion of Ukraine. But so far, analysts have not heard or read statements from the Russian side taking credit or suggesting that they’re trying to cover up their involvement, officials said.

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-21-2022 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:07 AM   #1328
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
. This is dirt cheap and well worth the expense.

$50B here, $50B there, sooner or later it might add up to real money.

Basically, your statement is wrong on both counts but hey, that's the beauty of the internet.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #1329
Edward64
Head Coach

Wesley Clark brings up a good point. Instead of continuing to decline militarily in Ukraine, Russia may stiffen up (?) and get "stronger".

It'd be interesting to know what Clark thinks for "pour in support". The off-limit weaponry that I've read so far are long range missiles and F-16's.

Why President Volodymyr Zelensky's surprise US visit is so significant | CNN Politics
Quote:
Former NATO Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, Wesley Clark said that Zelensky’s trip reflects a critical moment when the destiny of a war that Ukraine cannot win without upgraded US support could be decided before Russia can regroup.

“This is a window of opportunity for Ukraine and a window of danger as well,” Clark told CNN’s John Berman on “AC360” on Tuesday.

“Russia’s weak, (but) Russia will be stronger. This is a period where the United States needs to pour in the support. … This is the window, President Zelensky knows it – if he is going to defeat, with US support, the Russian aggression in Ukraine,” Clark said.

“Wait until the summer and it will be an entirely different battlefield.”
Old 12-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #1330
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Basically, your statement is wrong on both counts but hey, that's the beauty of the internet.

I can understand not being "dirt cheap" but don't understand why you don't think its "worth the expense". I think its a bargain and pretty good deal

Off the top of my head, for $100B (assuming no nuclear war)
  1. We've made a new friend, in a strategic location
  2. We've strengthened other old friendships (that have been frayed from the earlier admin) and stand pretty much united against a single baddie
  3. We've been able to test out our weaponry & tactics in a real live environment. We've gained alot of intel of Russia's weaponry & tactics in a real live environment
  4. Russia's military weaponry, soldiers & capabilities have been degraded
  5. Russia's military might has been exposed worldwide
  6. We've theoretically hurt Russia economically
  7. The war has fomented more dissent in Russia than in the previous 20 years or so
  8. US defense industry will get a boost with international sales
  9. We're using up older military weaponry sitting around warehouses, and they'll be replaced
  10. No US lives lost (well, except for contractors)

EDIT: also ...
  1. Will be adding 2 new NATO members (we hope), also in strategic locations
  2. Western countries are now much more serious about building up for their own defense (as the US has been asking them to be for a while now)

Last edited by Edward64 : 12-21-2022 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 07:41 AM   #1331
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I agree on all of those points and do think that the dollars spent on this seem to be a bargain on the global stage.

I think one negative that may be under-reported is that we've also tipped our hand to China with regards to tactics and equipment. I'm sure they're watching very closely to see what the US would do in case they want to start something.

SI

Old 12-21-2022, 07:55 AM   #1332
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, you may or may not think that it's sunk cost, but hasn't virtually our entire military layout for the past 75+ years been about pushing back against Russia? We're going to stop now?
Old 12-21-2022, 08:55 AM   #1333
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

We could have fed hungry families for 60 years for the cost we spent those 20. Furthermore, you can't say the 'cost' of those wars is no longer over. The toll on mental health and the burden they bring to the VA and medical community from injuries will ensure those costs keep going well into the future. If it's not spent now, what will the cost be when we're in a full fledged war in Europe, or if we're still not, what is the expected global cost to rebuild Europe in the aftermath. You're complaining about real problems of tomorrow and equating it to the present day snapshot. War is awesome until you're fucked. Avoiding a larger scale campaign, or keeping Putin from and his ambition at bay are worth it at this price point.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 12-21-2022 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-21-2022, 03:32 PM   #1334
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Wesley Clark brings up a good point. Instead of continuing to decline militarily in Ukraine, Russia may stiffen up (?) and get "stronger".

It'd be interesting to know what Clark thinks for "pour in support".
Russia mobilized a lot of people and will be doing so again soon. They're not training them very well but like many past Russian wars they'll be able to use superior manpower and a willingness to use them as cannon fodder. Longer range missiles help target troop and equipment concentrations further behind the front line, but a lot of this is still hand to hand and localized artillery. Russian equipment and ammo is under stress, but so far it appear they can buy whatever they need from places like North Korea and Iran.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 04:20 PM   #1335
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Russia mobilized a lot of people and will be doing so again soon. They're not training them very well but like many past Russian wars they'll be able to use superior manpower and a willingness to use them as cannon fodder. Longer range missiles help target troop and equipment concentrations further behind the front line, but a lot of this is still hand to hand and localized artillery. Russian equipment and ammo is under stress, but so far it appear they can buy whatever they need from places like North Korea and Iran.

They really don't have the manpower to overwhelm like they used to and this war is likely going to devastate an already aging population.

Population of Russian Federation 2020 - PopulationPyramid.net
Old 12-21-2022, 06:06 PM   #1336
Edward64
Head Coach

Missed this when it happened but Zelenskyy telling David Letterman a joke when Letterman was in Ukraine last Oct. Think it was for a Letterman special.

https://youtu.be/ilJNfILKtLc

Old 12-21-2022, 06:56 PM   #1337
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryche View Post
They really don't have the manpower to overwhelm like they used to and this war is likely going to devastate an already aging population.

Population of Russian Federation 2020 - PopulationPyramid.net
Oh it's already been devastating for Russia's economy near term and risks being devastating for their demography long term, but they're still 3.5 times the population of Ukraine and have shown no problem scraping the bottom of the barrel for mercenaries. The Ukrainians have had amazing success with their lightning speed advances after interdicting supply lines, but the fighting around Bakhmut shows that Russian strategy can still (very, very slowly) grind forward. Casualty numbers have a pretty big error bar both ways but they seem about even since the war started - even with that tilting in Ukraine's favor recently 1:1 isn't a good trade for them.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 05:14 PM   #1338
Edward64
Head Coach

Kinda funny in a way. A new anti-drone defense, put netting up above armored vehicles.

Quote:
A camouflage net over a Ukrainian tank stopped two Russian Lancet kamikaze drones

https://twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status...MV8uuKU5D5fgdg
Old 12-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #1339
PilotMan
Head Coach

Hey look, another Putin critic 'fell' out of a window! These guys just can't seem to maintain their balance anymore. Must be a side effect. This was only 2 days after his traveling partner 'died'. So unlucky.

Russian Lawmaker Who Slammed Putin’s War Dies After Falling From a Window

Like Steam?

Old 12-29-2022, 06:03 AM   #1340
Edward64
Head Coach

TBH, I like this idea. No idea how much freezing & storage will cost the government but I can see a lot of voluntary participation if soldiers are shipped off to a conflict. I assume the invitro part is on the family. A nice benefit

Ukraine war: Russian troops can freeze their sperm for free | CNN
Quote:
Russian soldiers taking part in the war on Ukraine will be eligible for free sperm freezing and storage in cryobanks, Russia’s state news agency Tass reported, citing a lawyers union.

“The families of those called up for military service as part of the partial mobilization will receive free access to fertility treatment and the storage of biomaterial in a cryobank,” said Igor Trunov, president of the Russian Union of Lawyers, which represents several couples where the husband has been mobilized and the family has asked for assistance, according to Tass.

The Russian health ministry responded to a request “on the creation of a free cryobank of genetic material and amendments to the mandatory health insurance system to allocate a free fertility treatment quota for RF (Russian Federation) citizens taking part in the Special Military Operation,” according to Trunov.
Old 12-29-2022, 12:24 PM   #1341
Mota
College Benchwarmer

But for some reason, all the children that come out of the invitro process end up looking a LOT like Putin.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2022, 01:43 PM   #1342
Edward64
Head Coach

I was actually thinking the US government should offer the same.

Trying to not visualize all those babies coming out looking like Joe or Trump (2024) now.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:43 AM   #1343
Edward64
Head Coach

Big strike against Russian forces.

Ukrainian sources reports 760+ killed (but not clear if for whole theatre or just that strike). I read an official sounding Russian report saying 60 or so. Russian military bloggers are saying 200+, so runs the gamut. But there was a strike that caused significant casualties.

https://www.cnn.com/europe/live-news...d3406432f14192
Quote:
Ukrainian forces on Sunday struck a vocational school in Ukraine's eastern Donetsk region, where mobilized military personnel were stationed, a senior Russian-backed leader said.
Old 01-02-2023, 07:49 PM   #1344
Edward64
Head Coach

There are location privacy issues with cell phones.

Russia-Ukraine war: Attack kills dozens of Russian soldiers, Moscow says : NPR
Quote:
Russia's state-run TASS news agency blamed soldiers' cellphone data for tipping off their barracks' location to the Ukrainians.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:48 AM   #1345
Edward64
Head Coach

The "scud stud" has nothing on this French reporter

Quote:
This French TV team caught a Russian attack in Druzhkivka (south of Kramatorsk) live on tape.

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1610126135957782529
Old 01-06-2023, 10:50 PM   #1346
Edward64
Head Coach

Redditors are excited about the Bradleys, a new toy that Ukraine hasn't gotten yet. I don't really know how much of significant contributor they'll be.

I like how we are providing new weapon systems "incrementally". Javelins, Drones, Himars, Patriots, Bradleys etc. Do it all at once and potential for a Russian overreaction. Do it in drips and drabs, and it doesn't seem all that bad.

American aid to Ukraine ramps up but House GOP drama causes worry over future military help | CNN Politics
Quote:
The administration announced a new $2.85 billion drawdown for Ukraine, part of more than $3 billion in new military assistance to Ukraine. The drawdown, Secretary of State Antony Blinken said on Friday, will include “Bradley infantry fighting vehicles, artillery systems, armored personnel carriers, surface to air missiles, ammunition, and other items to support Ukraine as it bravely defends its people, its sovereignty, and its territorial integrity.”
Old 01-07-2023, 05:33 AM   #1347
GrantDawg

Bradley are quick, mobile tank killers. They are quite a step up from what they have been using. Germans also giving them their version of the Bradley.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2023, 12:32 PM   #1348
GrantDawg

Holy Crap-
Old 01-07-2023, 12:49 PM   #1349
Edward64
Head Coach

I've seen pics where the battlefield is just pock marked with craters (not near as many bodies as in your pic).

Pretty brutal. I can't imagine ...
Old 01-11-2023, 06:50 PM   #1350
Edward64
Head Coach

New Russian general in charge, and a new offensive after winter rumored. Old general is supposedly more competent than the new political hack. I'm betting same old result.

Ukraine also lost Soledar. Definitely a setback, no idea how really significant it is other than finally a win for the bad guys after a long string of losses & stalemate