View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #107
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
I have a hatred of pretty much all music not written by the band/artist performing it.

I know a lot of people who share that opinion. They say that they don't like Group X because they don't write their own music, etc. I tell them that the real reason they don't like Group X is because they don't like Group X's music, not because of the group not writing their own music, that's just an excuse. They usually agree with me.

So, the best cello player in the world who plays Beethoven, the best violinist playing Stravinsky, the best trumpeters playing Gershwin, that's music you hate? But if that celloist wrote the song you'd like it? I doubt that, I think that it's just you don't like the brand of music.

I do hate it when a band or artist does a cover of a song and tries to be as close to the original as possible - that's not originality as all. How ho hum. So we can agree on that, at least. But I love it when a band or artist takes a song, twists it, and interprets it completely differently than before (See Rammstein's version of Depeche Mode's "Stripped" or Johnny Cash's version of NIN's "Hole" as examples of taking a song and completely changing it around).

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote