View Single Post
Old 03-29-2004, 09:49 AM   #1
QuikSand
lolzcat

OT - What makes me hate Billy Joel?

Wandering through the grocery store the other day, I heard them piping in a Billy Joel song. Without giving it any thought, I was mouthing a few of the familiar words... and then I basicaly caught myself and said "No, no no - I hate billy Joel." (Not out loud, mind you - I didn't want to disturbe the produce section)

But it got me to thinking. There's nothing inherently objectionable to me about Billy Joel and his music, I don't think. It's not really the genre of music that I prefer, but there is certainly a long, long list of things that I dislike much more intensely than his music.

But I'm pretty firm on this - I hate Billy Joel.

Wonder why that is. In his specific case, there seems to be a lot of material to work with. Is it the undying admiration of zealotous fans, who think he's the second coming? Is it the whole Christie Brinkley thing - some kind of weird supermodel jealousy on my part? Is it the fact that he shifted his music around that time and created some stuff that I really hate like "Uptown Girl" and "An Innocent Man?" Is it the unctious holier-than-pop attitude now, as he fancies himself a composer for the ages, and not just a famous musician? The list just goes on and on.

Specific question: what is it about Billy Joel?
General question: why do semi-irrational likes and dislikes happen like this?

Discuss.

Last edited by QuikSand : 03-29-2004 at 10:00 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote