View Single Post
Old 05-10-2024, 01:08 PM   #324
molson
General Manager

I was pretty terrified to drive it at first, but it's only as long as a long pickup truck, so it was actually easy.

Insurance was a bit of a struggle because it doesn't fit into any normal category. My home and regular car carriers wouldn't insure it. State Farm would, but I had to drive it to their local office and have them take pictures and eyeball it. And promise in writing that I would never try to cook on the roof.

Registering it can also be a challenge depending on if you've fully converted it yet. A lot of bus owners register in Vermont, because apparently they let you do it online no questions asked. Fortunately Idaho just required an inspection to confirm it was not a school bus anymore, and then they'd register it as an RV.

It's easier/simpler with no electric. Most campgrounds you can use either the RV or tent spots, but, some aggressive hosts have opinions about where you should be. We have not yet ventured beyond campgrounds into dispersed camping. That's definitely a thing people do in Idaho, find a nice spot in the state forest by a river or whatever. Someone gifted us a camping toilet setup this year, but, we have not yet made that leap. The rural campgrounds are exciting enough.

Last edited by molson : 05-10-2024 at 01:20 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote