View Single Post
Old 05-07-2024, 05:34 PM   #25
BrixtonFC
n00b

The Days Between
A funny thing happened on the way to the forum. Since our real matches began, on each game day a grey GK would show up on the roster for the Senior team. I never put him on the team sheet and chalked up the event to the game thinking 12 subs MUST include two GKs on the bench. Well, I decided a third permanent GK couldn’t hurt. When I went looking for one I was reminded of Chick Legg.

Back in March I ran across him and thought the name was too funny but he wanted ridiculous wages so I moved on. But I am intrigued by his Driven personality and Unflappable media style so I decided to splurge and hopefully he can mentor Carl Friend. Plus, my players' names are pretty bland and hopefully I’ll be able to make some funny jokes along the way. (Fun fact: He was “born” the day I moved out of Alaska.)

The team report for Dartford comes in and, well, we’re boned.

FA Cup Second Qualifying Round
vs. Dartford, 16 September 2017

Formation: 4-4-2 Standard (GK, DR, DC r, DC l, DL, MR, MC r, MC l, ML, ST r, ST l)
Starting XI: Webb, Maguire, Day, Carroll, Jefcoate, Pearson, Barlow, Smith, Duckett, Macey, O’Donnell
Subs: Legg, Johnstone, Clark, Spearing, Parker, Thompson, McAdam, Jones, Taylor, Martin, Taylor, Rae, Cullen

Well, I should have known. They get out on top at 21’ from a good cross. Nothing much happens for us so I switch to Spade. At the restart we are almost FMed as Day mishandles a back-pass and Dartford striker steals the ball. And sends it high. At 65’ I bring in Parker and Thompson for Jefcoate and Barlow as they are rating 6.2. I’ll give Macey 5 more minutes to do something. But before I can do that, Dartford’s right winger lobs a ball forward, it bounces off the cross bar right to their left striker. 0-2. This was started when Smith was pick-pocketed. So off he comes as well as Macey and Duckett.

Well it was never in the cards that we’d win. But I botch the post-game speech and 11 players “switched off.” So I’ve got that going for me. Oh, and we made Ł25,101 from the match.

Next up is another Conference South team, Braintree, who are 19th out of 22 in that league. So you’re saying there’s a chance?