View Single Post
Old 05-05-2024, 08:53 AM   #10080
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I just saw a clip from the big fight in Westlemania 40. I didn't know a Rhodes kid was wrestling at the top of the game. "The American Nightmare." I got a kick out of that.

Interesting how it came about, 'cause I don't think I knew whose idea it actually was until looking into it

Quote:

In an interview with Bleacher Report on ‘Ask Me Anything’ segment was asked about why he is called ‘The American Nightmare’? To which Cody said that being the son of Dusty it naturally suited him.

However he said that the idea came when he was wrestling for the New Japan Pro Wrestling (NJPW), Tiger Hattori and Gedo proposed to him an idea to adopt “The American Nightmare” moniker as it will be easier for the fans to follow because it looks similar to his father’s. He then got the ownership for it, as it would be easy to take wherever he goes.

“Dusty was rags to riches and I was riches to riches, bratty little kid so the American Nightmare fits me well. I spent my WWE career trying to do everything different from Dusty but then at a certain point you’re allowed a little grace. When I left in 2016 and went to New Japan it was Tiger Hattori and Gedo who liked the idea because it was easy for the fans to follow because it was like ‘The American Dream’.”