View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 11:23 AM   #64
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Hey nilodor, do you have much input into how overall ratings are selected in these files? As I'm working on my dynasty starting in 1970, I'm wanting this to be more accurate without giving too much away to myself. I've been playing with your 1976 file for a while, and I've been shrugging my shoulders at weird stuff, figuring I just don't know 1976 that well. But when I look at the 1970 file, there's some weirdness.

First, the QB file. It's got no one with an overall rating of 7, 8, or 9. I can understand having no 9 -- the help file says "The player is a generational talent at his position." So sure, no 9 makes sense. I could argue that 1970 rosters have a generational talent, but since I can think of like 5 guys, I'm willing to accept that I need to calibrate what generational talent means. But if none of Johnny Unitas, Bart Starr, Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw and Joe Namath get to be called a generational talent, who does? Just Tom Brady? Maybe that's the answer, and that's fine. And maybe an 8 is too high -- "The player is often the best in the league at his position." -- since technically none of them can "often" be the best. But some of them ought to be 7? Maybe all of them? Not to mention that the two 6s we actually have in the file are...Fran Tarkenton and Greg Landry. Bradshaw, Staubach, and Namath are 5, Johnny Unitas is a 2, Bart Starr is a 1. I won't quibble too much about Bart Starr since he was hurt that year, and if this is supposed to represent "Bart Starr 1970" as opposed to "Bart Starr" sure fine. But Johnny Unitas a 2? Looking up 1970 on pro football reference, I'm learning a bit more about 1970 itself. John Brodie and George Blanda were voted MVP by different orgs -- they have a 2 and 1 in the file. I'm not trying to be "my guy isn't rated the way I want so I'm mad" but it seems like the process here isn't working.

Also, all kickers are rated 0. The help file says that for FB, K, P, and LS, the highest rating that can be assigned is a 2. That's not completely true, I gave Jan Stenerud a 9, and I gave Fred Cox a 6. But it could be that when you go higher than 2, it's not meaningful -- in the one universe I loaded with it, Stenerud was an 83/89 and Cox was 83/83. This file also has a 0 for all Punters, except for Marshall Newhouse, who will have a 1 when he enters the league in 2010.

Hopefully this doesn't come off like a rant, since there's so much great work here. It just doesn't feel quite like it's usable yet, and I'm hoping we can get there. I was getting ready to hunker down and do some of this manually, but since you mentioned python, I wondered if you had any ideas to do this faster.

Thanks again!
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote