View Single Post
Old 04-22-2024, 07:37 PM   #100
RainMaker
General Manager

Some history podcasts that I've been listening to during workouts and grinding on The Show.

Age of Napoleon - as the title suggests, it's a podcast about the events of the Napoleonic era. The host is a history buff and pretty good storyteller. Insane amounts of research goes into it and you'll learn just about everything you've wanted to know about Napoleon and that era. He's 100+ episodes in and at the War of the Fourth Coalition right now. It's given me so many hours of entertainment that I donate each month to the show.

The History of Egypt - similar to the Age of Napoleon (and I think inspired by it), this one covers Ancient Egypt. It's a little trickier to keep up with because there are so many characters, gods, and regions with names that are tough to remember. But I've learned a lot just listening casually. Host is very knowledgeable and a pretty good storyteller, although a bit dry at times.

Radio War Nerd - Hosted by Mark Ames who wrote for Exiled Magazine during the crazy 90's and early 2000's in Russia. His co-host is John Dolan (war nerd) who is an incredibly knowledgeable professor that has a knack for storytelling and some dry wit. They talk about war and cover both historical ones and modern ones. But their real niche is in covering conflicts that are not widely covered in the States (South America, Asia, etc).

I'd recommend finding a topic in their massive catalog and jumping in. Personal favorites of mine are the series on Yeltsin's coup, Arab conquests (pre-Islam) and the Bangladesh Genocide. They often have great guests on (historians, journalists) to cover the topics. They do cover some modern stuff as Mark has vast knowledge of Ukraine/Russia from his time there and John has an encyclopedic knowledge of the Middle East. It's a tough show to describe as it's not like other history podcasts. The conversations are casual and they aren't reading off scripts. Just riffing on topics.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote