View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 04:26 PM   #27
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Offseason

One of the difficulties we have is there is no specific feeder program for our school. It's a pure lottery school. So we don't really know who we're going to have coming in each new freshman class. We had a festival for our rising 9th graders and I did an outreach program to talk about our club.

When the school year started, we saw a massive surge of interest in our team, with 30 players showing up for tryouts. Some notable decided not to return - Lalit, Jeff, Akash, which still meant we'd be a very young team.

I decided not to cut and let everyone have a chance to participate if they were willing to pay dues. This meant we were left with an odd balance of 4 juniors, 20 sophomores, and 6 freshmen.

I still ran tryouts just to get a sense of where my team was at. Day 1 was a written test of common quiz bowl material and Day 2 they were placed in teams for a typical buzzer competition.

Of the new players, I noticed two strong freshmen and a sophomore named Krish, who scored higher than everyone on the written test. It was also clear which players had spent the summer studying and which hadn't.

I think there is a chance we could find less success in some ways this season, since our top players can no longer play JV and will now have to play as Juniors against Seniors.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote