View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 05:42 PM   #89
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

My son’s school was teaching about things outside of the US and drew Sumo out of the hat for his project. He asked I watch it with him to help learn it and it was during Hakuho Sho’s dominance. At first I was a little bored, then I learned the system of levels that make you perform or be relegated into several smaller levels. Then I did the historical research and found it’s basically been the same sport forever and they have all the historical stats online and you can compare. Then I learned the accepted moves to win. I thought it was push fat guy backwards, but there are nuances and holds and moves that are allowed which makes rare ones that show up special. Then I learned about the how they are recruited and how they are trained and who are famous grandkids of past champs and it really becomes immersive and deep. There is currently a YouTube guy named Leo not Bruce Dickinson that shows every match, even at the lowest level where you have 46 year old guys still trying to move up the system.

I had some friends give it a shot but it takes patience and a little side reading to understand it but it’s a very deep sport that we make fun of out of ignorance and a cheap laugh. I’ve watched it now for 6 years and still feel I’ve only got a general understanding of it but you begin to get favorites and guys you root against and it’s a blast.

I’ve got the Grand Sumo app and there are some English websites that update news and injury reports. It’s one of mid life sports I seemed to take to because of the tradition and hard road it takes to be a Yokozuna.

YMMV because after the assignment my son hasn’t watched it one time with me.
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand

Last edited by Senator : 04-14-2024 at 05:43 PM.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote