View Single Post
Old 04-12-2024, 08:47 PM   #277
Flasch186
Coordinator

I feel bad for me 4 years ago * turned into updates on my son's baseball

He plays pickup basketball now that he’s outgrown the middle school basketball team and isn’t good enough to play the hs ball at his school.

He unfortunately gets so frustrated when he’s not good at something that I just don’t see him enjoying playing other sports competitively when he’s behind the curve at his age on them.

For example

We went to top golf and he was bad at hitting the ball and was miserable. Instead of just having fun he was frustrated almost the whole night until the kids all started playing tag in the play area they have at the one we visited.

Being gifted he also has perfectionism issues and we actually are constantly pounding into him that we don’t want perfection. It seems like saying it to him has the opposite effect. I literally tell him I want him to fail and it just doesn’t seem to lessen the way he beats up on himself.

He had a first time hitting lesson with another coach at the school today and when we got there the coach led with:

Your swing in the cage and approach in the cage is totally different in games and at the plate. He said we’re going to get you right so youre consistent.

Then I went and sat in the car.

When it was over the coach wrapped it up with me away from Aiden and confirmed:

Its his head
He doesn’t trust himself in his timing
Therefore he’s lunging/early and then retreats back to slow things down in the swing versus
Trusting his hands and letting the ball get to his hitting zones
He’s super confused at the plate trying to figure it out
He can fix it with confidence and lessons with him
He’ll get his approach right
He’ll get his self talk right
And he’ll get his swing back and right

Aiden recapped some things to me in the car when I asked him if he liked the coach

He said something about a hitting triangle: front leg, back hip, hands
Patience
Said he liked him

We’ll use him and the assistant varsity coach since ones better with the mental and ones more connected with the varsity program

👍

Season ends next week and then we get to tone it down and go into off season mode until it’s summer stuff.

Had lunch with a friend of the hc of the program, the guy who has ended up being my color guy in the booth who’s done the pa and music for years. He said he was golfing with the head guy and Aiden’s name came up and the guys high on him, especially his pitching was talked about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 04-12-2024 at 09:09 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote