View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 06:18 AM   #302
Edward64
Head Coach

In addition to the robotaxi announcement, there were a couple articles about how Elon is cancelling the < $30k cheaper Teslas.

That's not confirmed yet, I'd put that under speculation right now, and really hope that's not true. But I'd think the sub $30k is more important than robotaxis. Sure, I can see it if the FSD was really FSD but from what I've read, it costs a lot, it's still not 100% and the onus (and liability) is still on the driver to handle unexpected situations. My guess is the robotaxi will come up short.

Elon Musk announces Tesla will unveil a ‘robotaxi’ on August 8 | CNN Business
Quote:
Elon Musk has long had an affinity for self-driving vehicles, claiming they will be one of Tesla’s most important products. Despite big promises, years have gone by without cars that can, so far, drive on their own.

But Musk, on a Friday afternoon, when companies tend to bury news, announced on X that Tesla would unveil its robotaxi on August 8.

His post was simple and included no details. “Tesla Robotaxi unveil on 8/8,” the Tesla CEO (and owner of X) posted.

Honestly, I wouldn't consider an expensive Tesla nowadays. Musk changes the pricing seemingly at will and reductions make the depreciation & re-sale value a crapshoot.

EDIT: regarding scrapping the lower cost car, Musk denies it but Reuters stands by the reporting.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...n-low-cost-car
Quote:
Tesla CEO Elon Musk accused Reuters of "lying" on Friday after the outlet reported the electric vehicle behemoth is abandoning its long-touted plans to produce a budget-friendly starter car.
Quote:
Citing three unnamed "sources familiar," Reuters reported that Tesla has scrapped its initiative to roll out an inexpensive car for the masses, purportedly called Model 2, that was expected to start at $25,000. The outlet said it had reviewed several internal Tesla documents confirming the project's demise.

Last edited by Edward64 : 04-06-2024 at 08:17 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote