View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 04:29 PM   #56
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Bull. How does that equate to someone betting millions of dollars to an illegal bookie? "I know it is illegal, but the league has a sponsorship with fantasy sports so why can't I place a million dollar bet with Lefty?"

It doesn't. But for the last 100+ years outside the last five, ten years or so, the sports community at least publicly considered any association with gambling by a player as someone betting millions of dollars with an illegal bookie. Not the players, not the teams, not the leagues. It is why there wasn't legal gambling advertising before that time frame even though you could legally gamble in certain places in the country. They did not want to be associate with the negative gambling stigma. If the collective "we" are in a time where we don't look suspiciously at players being linked to legal or illegal gambling, cool. But I do understand why people would be suspicious of the links between leagues, teams and players and gambling again both illegal and legal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote