View Single Post
Old 03-22-2024, 07:20 AM   #297
Edward64
Head Coach

I struggle with this. On one hand, whatever (mostly) is good for Chinese business is likely bad for the US, BYD's cheap EV is good for the environment.

Assuming it passes the crash tests etc., can't beat an EV for $10k. I know there's talk about EV market is dying in the US but I have to believe a cheap, reliable, safe EV for $10k and Joe's infrastructure plan could revive it.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/22/byd-...s-on-edge.html
Quote:
Seagull, a small all-electric hatchback, starts at just 69,800 yuan (or less than $10,000), and reportedly banks a profit for the increasingly influential Chinese automaker.
Quote:
“The introduction of cheap Chinese autos — which are so inexpensive because they are backed with the power and funding of the Chinese government — to the American market could end up being an extinction-level event for the U.S. auto sector,” the Alliance for American Manufacturing, a U.S. manufacturing advocacy group, said in a report last month.

BYD sold 1.57 million battery EVs last year, up from just 130,970 all-electric vehicles in 2020. That sales growth was enough to surpass Tesla to become the world’s largest producer of electric vehicles in late 2023.
Quote:
Its initial study of the BYD Seagull found it to be efficiently and simplistically designed, engineered and executed, but with unexpected quality and anticipated reliability.

“What they did do is done very well,” Woychowski said. “It’s efficiently done.”

Last edited by Edward64 : 03-22-2024 at 07:21 AM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote