View Single Post
Old 03-17-2024, 08:26 PM   #380
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
So you are saying I can't draw conclusions from comparing him to Bears quarterbacks who played in the same system that he did but you can draw conclusions based on comparisons to quarterbacks who in different systems with arguably better coaching that have in part allowed them to become

A 2x NFL MVP and 3x SB MVP
Another 2x NFL MVP
A QB who led his team to an AFC title with a Jamarr Chase, Tee Higgins, Joe Mixon and others on the team.
Justin Herbert

You will get no argument from me. Justin Fields is not better than any of those QBs above. I see no evidence that he will ever be at this point. Justin Fields was not a perfect QB who was destroyed by the dysfunction that was the Bears over the last few years. Justin Fields has flaws that he needs to work on and he listen to proper coaching to help him to that. Even with all that Justin Fields may be an absolute bust as an NFL QB

AND

I don't think that anyone believes that dropping any of those QBs you mentioned as rookies into the 2021-2024 Bears would have been good for their development and would have allowed them to succeed at the same rate regardless of their talent. As we can see neither do the Bears because they are not doing the same thing all over again. I do think Justin Fields would be further along in his development if he had the opportunity to sit behind an Alex Smith for a year while being under the tutelage of Andy Reid, or be under the same HC/OC combo while being surrounded by the talent I listed above or even having the team doc stabbed the starter in the chest and take over an offense with a Keenan Allen (where did he just go?), a Mike Williams and a Austin Ekeler. I don't think it is ridiculous to think that if he gets better coaching and works on his flaws, Fields has the opportunity to back up an Eli Manning, then back up a Phillip Rivers, back up a Russell Wilson before getting his another shot and winning the Comeback Player of the Year. I just saw this happened with another quarterback that we all had completely drawn all the conclusions about after he left the Jets.
We can play the what-if scenario all day to no real conclusion. I never wrote that guys like Burrow or Mahomes would develop into the players they are today if they were on the Bears. I wrote that they would have better results as a Bears QB in the same system. Why? Because they are better effiing players than Justin Fields! We can play the game of "if only this guy played with this coach and this system" forever. What matters is reality. Fields sucks. Fantastic runner -- one of the best -- but as a passer he only showed brief flashes. Actual NFL football experts in the game having jobs and getting paid have shown what they think about Fields with their (non)actions. I wish you were a GM for one of the QB needy teams - the Bears might have gotten a 1st rounder from you based on your assessment of him.