View Single Post
Old 12-31-2023, 12:59 PM   #80
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Let’s do my review right now while I am between quarters on Sunday. This is, in many ways, an entry game for Stellaris with simplified rules mostly. For example, take research. This is divided in both games into three categories: Engineering, Physics and Society. But in Stellaris you get research from stations that only give you one, and things like Society research from Prewarp Watch Stations. Here they are all combined in one research general track. Another are your enemies. In Stellaris there are many foes you could face, but here just three. And the Klingons never DOWed anyone in 100 years, ditto Romulans. Another example is just how many systems have colonizable planets.

So, if you are someone interested in Stellaris/Paradox grand strategy games but looking for an entry vehicle, or a Star Trek fan, then this is pretty solid. Cairn unable to get brought In and no new option is probably a bug, and sometimes I have to load saves in order to move envoys around, but those are the only bugs I’ve found and Cairn might be as designed. Just one bug a few months after a grand strategy is very good there were bugs in CKIII about not making alliances that stopped my game and that was years ago. The officers addition hasn’t really been needed since my first techs built into increasing them.

Another change not noticed by reviewers are the loss of fleet size that Starbases would extend with Anchorages, if you can build it and support it, then that works. I am not referring to individual fleet caps, but the overall total of ships. Warp meant that you had ranges of travelling and other than Science vessels nothing can go outside of that range, so that’s why I cannot build on the other side of Acamar since it’s out of my warp range. That’s another reason to leave systems open, they cannot be grabbed by friends with open border agreements. I prefer warp lanes from Stellaris since you can head anywhere, and you have chokepoints to defend and such that makes sense.

I left a positive review for this on Steam a couple of weeks ago. Sure, it has issues and bugs, but nothing that is stopping this from working. I wish Bajor had DOWed for independence since all three were supporting it.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 12-31-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote