View Single Post
Old 12-27-2023, 02:03 AM   #6
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

The 1946 Portland Rosebuds

As expected, we're off to a dreadful start in our inaugural campaign, heading into draft day with a last place record of 14-46, 12GB of the next-worst team, and 30GB of first.

But it's draft day, so I'm excited to get a chance at adding some real talent into our completely barren farm system. While I'm sure our season will net us a top pick next year, we opted to put expansion teams at the back of the draft, so our pick will be #18.

Note: We do have a lottery in place. 20 total teams, 5 lottery picks, 10 teams eligible for the lottery picks. We'll go over odds and stuff next year.

Very generally, going into the draft I'm looking to take the best player available. However, I do think, with this being our first draft, a focus on prep talent could be beneficial. Drafting a 22-year-old out of the college ranks would give us more talent immediately in the majors, but he'd be alone. Ideally, a high-school player spends a few years in our system and then we can supplement them with college picks a few years from now. Something to think about, at least.

When we get to our pick, there are a couple interesting names. Rafael Edwards and Jonathan Firmin are both college outfielders who look pretty good, but right up there with them is SS Rich Black, a 17-year-old RHB who has the range and arm for SS and our scout rates as a 60. He's pretty much solid all-around, but doesn't have a distinct stand-out tool. The bat and eye are both a 6, while power is a 5. But he can play all over the field and I love that.

C Jesse Brinkmann was at least a thought with our first pick, and he's still there in the second, so we take him next. He's also 17, and a switch-hitter. He's definitely a bat-first catcher, but the defense should play.

In the end, we went heavy on high school as we expected we would, and focused pretty strongly on defense and pitching.

I'll spare you the rest - we finish 39-123. The Philadelphia Brewers go on to win the 1946 World Series. We have a lot of work to do.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote