View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 02:35 PM   #424
MoonlightGraham
High School Varsity

May 1, 2028

When Douglas Gillum whispered to Graham Sims after his Jayhawks lost to Sims' Wildcats in last month's Final Four, he told Graham something only a few people--his wife, his children, his AD, and his players--knew. That game was Coach Gillum's farewell, as he announces his retirement a few days later. He retires with a career record of 491-104. His victory total and career winning percentage (.825) both rank second in our universe's history.

Coach Gillum is not the only legend to retire this spring. Mervin Heron of North Carolina also hangs up his whistle. Coach Heron completes his career with a 481-109 record and a .821 winning percentage, posting the third most wins and the fourth highest winning percentage.

Kansas turns to another veteran, the well-traveled Joshua Williams. Coach Williams, 63, spent eight seasons at Florida; before that, he had the head jobs at Wyoming and Miami (Ohio). Coach Williams boasts a career record of 386-184. Forgive Gator fans for feeling betrayed right now; Coach Williams is a Florida alumnus.

The new man at North Carolina will be Benton Brimmer, who moves to Chapel Hill from the University of Tennessee. Coach Brimmer, 54, has a career record of 417-169, and he took two Vols teams to the Final Four.

Second place on the leader board for career victories among active coaches now belongs to Kenneth Burroughs of Southern California. Coach Burroughs has a career mark of 475-128 and, like Graham, he's won two national championships.

May 1, 2028
Two rising sophomores have decided to transfer from our program. One is a walk-on, David Betts, who didn't get in a game last season. The other is guard Kelley Van Houten, whom I was excited about signing in the fall of 2026. Kelley V would have played more this season, but he grew impatient and chose to leave. He'll try his luck at Nebraska this season.

I offered a scholarship to Jack Pilkington, an Aussie guard whom I saw when we played West Virginia last season. He decided to transfer to Texas, where there will be a well-defined role for him on a roster depleted by graduation.

Pilkington was the only player I liked who was interested in coming to Villanova. We'll have a slew of scholarships to offer to recruits this season.
MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote