View Single Post
Old 12-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #492
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Agree with all of the above.

The Lions made a concerted effort to improve their defensive backfield this season by signing Cam Sutton, Mosley and Ceedy Duce and drafting Brian Branch. Losing half of those reinforcements really set the defensive backfield back.

On the other hand, they really did nothing to improve the defensive line. Their one addition was Brodic Martin, a massive DT, who was considered a significant third round reach. Losing James Huston in week 2 really stunted the pass rush. I think they were hoping Josh Paschal would take the next step, but he really hasn't. Alim McNeil has been really good, but Hutchinson hasn't had much help.

Combine those two things - lack of a pass rush and mediocre secondary - and you have a very porous and weak defense.

You have to wonder if the Lions didn't make a mistake trying to get help at the edge or cornerback at the trade deadline. I know they don't want to give up draft capital and are trying to build this thing for the long term, but you only get so many shots and the NFL is pretty unpredictable year-to-year, when things break your way, which they have for the Lions so far this year, I feel you need to take a bit of a shot.

I agree the offensive line has struggled a bit. They haven't been getting a big push on run plays and Goff has been pressured more often. That being said, this is still one of the best offenses in the league.

I can easily see them losing to the Bears in Chicago (cold weather + Goff = no good), losing, at least, one game to Minnesota, getting smoked by the Cowboys, and the Denver game looks tougher than it did initially.

I still think they have built a big enough cushion to win the division - though Green Bay is looking fantastic - but winning their first playoff game since 1991 is looking a bit tougher each week.

The last few weeks the Lions have been looking more like last year's Vikings - winning a bunch of really close games that could have easily gone the other way. They barely won in San Diego and New Orleans, despite going up big early, and needed a miracle to beat Chicago.

Yes, the first four picks of this draft class are looking solid. Bijan Robinson is great, but I think I would take Gibbs + LaPorta over him at this point. Campbell has been improving and Branch has been very solid.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote