View Single Post
Old 11-29-2023, 08:31 PM   #33
BrixtonFC
n00b

End of the 2013/2014 Season

The season is over and I have some decisions to make. I have to hold an End of Season Team Meeting and decide on the start of the pre-season. I screw the pooch on the team meeting; 5 players reacted poorly and their Morale dropped from Superb to Good. Jerks. The board are pleased with my performance and thus my Job Status is Very Secure. The board suggested that I start the pre-season on 7 July but I’ll be bringing in a lot of new players and introducing some new formations so I’ll need as much time as possible; I elect to start on 23 June, one month from now.

I also learn that the board has decided to upgrade our training facility. Or maybe I asked them to. Unregardless™, they are spending £2.5 million to keep our facilities in line with some of the top clubs in the world.

Queens Park Rangers make a deal with the Brixton board to become some kind of weird parent company. We get to host a yearly friendly (and keep all receipts) and they get to use our training facilities, all for the reasonable price of £14,000 per year. Q.P.R. are currently in the Championship. It seems weird that they would choose us. Brockwell Park is 6 2/3 miles from Q.P.R. That’s nothing in western Oklahoma but in London?! That’s a 40 minute drive in the late evening. Probably much worse during the London rush hour.

Finances
A lot of financial emails come in on the 25th. We avoid a tax hit due to our season loss of around £2.35 million, thanks to the outlay for the facilities upgrade. We also get a new kit sponsor and luckily it’s only for a year as its £9,750; hopefully we’ll get more next year. The board also inform me of the initial budget: £105,000 per week and £5.84 million transfer budget. I won’t need anywhere near that amount. We are currently spending £3,851 p/w and I’ve barely spent any money in transfer fees as I’m finding worthy players for free. And any way, if I were to find a player worth spending big bucks on, he wouldn’t want to play this far down the pyramid.

Scouting
I spend a lot of the month looking a pretty much every youth player with double-digit Determination and Natural Fitness; can’t let those scouts loaf about! Much as I expected, I found some good players but they don’t want to come to Brixton.

New Arrivals
The five aforementioned lads finally show up: Gary Todd (AM L, ST C), Richie McConachie (D C), Brian Veale (M L, AM RL), Dale Dunphy (SW, D C), and Glenn Farquhar (M/AM L).

Awards
Some player awards make a late arrival.
· Fans’ Player of the Year: Gary Allan
· Best Eleven: Madley (GK), Walker (DR), Mumba (DC r), Osborne (DC l), Miles (DL), Ward (MR), Smith (MC r), McMath (MC l), Dunne (ML), Allan (ST r), Bowerman (ST l)

World Cup 2014
England waltzed through Group H, scoring 7 goals while conceding only 1. Romania was the only team to score. Australia also made it out of the group, having beat Mexico on the final day. That must be considered a major upset! Mexico was 12th in world rankings with Australia ranked 46th. USA is out, having only 1 point from a draw with Algeria. Italy and France made is out of Group B. Other upsets include Holland not making it out of Group E, with Chile and South Korea making it.

On their way to beating Spain 2 to 1 in the Final of the World Cup, England beat Uruguay (3:1), Chile (2:1), and Switzerland (3:0). The Swiss took 3rd, beating Argentina 4:3 in extra time.

Other News
It was only a matter of time before offers started flowing in for our players. Hamilton came-a-calling for Gary Allan. Hamilton are in the Scottish Championship with Okay Financial Status yet they offered me the whopping amount of £0. On 1 July Colchester (League 2) also came in with a £0 officer. Come back when you’ve got at least £1 million.

Other offers that come in:
· Sean Dunne by St. Johnstone (Scottish Premiership) for £0
· Gary Miles by St. Johnstone for £0
· Shaun Smith by Dundee (Scottish Championship) for £0
· Wayne Walker by Hamilton for £0

So ends the 2013/2014 season. Thank you for reading about my adventures. I should be posting soon about the 2014/2015. Until then, Kick On!
BrixtonFC is offline   Reply With Quote